Game 2 Staggered Pick and Roll

Lemon

Looking for a spark (and for points) late in the 4th quarter, the Dallas Mavericks were searching for a play that would work against Miami’s tough/quick defense. At some point towards the end of the game, coach Rick Carlisle started running a staggered pick and roll with Dirk Nowitzki and Tyson Chandler as the screener, a play that the Mavericks haven’t run at all during the Finals to this point. It was obvious that this play gave Miami trouble as Dallas scored 8 points on the 4 possessions they ran it while shooting 75% (including 2-2 from three).

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/06/03/the-play-that-sparked-dallas-comeback/

I thought that this was pretty amazing. Dallas set this particular play as their go-to in the final 5 minutes of a crucial game 2. With the exception of one block, Dallas was able to confuse a great Miami defense using a single play. Remember, this is a play that they haven't done at all during the finals. It speaks volumes on the team's execution and chemistry from the coach to the role players to be able to successfully perform this well in the clutch. Maybe the play was their ace up their sleeve. It was a good one, though, and maybe one that we'll start to see more throughout the finals now that it's been revealed.

“I told the guards, ‘Whoever comes off me and Dirk’s screen, before you look to the strong side, look back to the weak side, because I think I can get him open for a good look,’” Chandler said afterward. “And right then, the next play, I was able to get that pick. And I was just holding it, because I knew, I saw Bosh in front of me and I was picking Haslem, so I figured [Nowitzki] would be somewhere behind me getting a good look.”

And that's great confidence and trust shown right there. If Miami is going to turn the series around, they're going to have to take back that swag.