The Clippers and their 2012 pick

• Owner

Does anyone remember the Clippers trading Marko Jaric to the Wolves back in 2005? Guess what they received?

Minnesota's 2012 first round pick.

At the time, it was a current first, but it was top 10 and lottery protected every year...until next year's draft.

Talk about cashing in seven years later... :o

Imagine if they hadn't traded for Mo Williams... They could have conceivably been looking at a quartet something along the lines of Kyrie Irving, Eric Gordon, Harrison Barnes, and Blake Griffin... Still have a great chance to form a trio unless Minnesota finally climbs their way out of the gutter. Even then, a late lotto pick in next year's draft could land you a would-be top 5-7 talent this year.

Imagine if they hadn't traded for Mo Williams... They could have conceivably been looking at a quartet something along the lines of Kyrie Irving, Eric Gordon, Harrison Barnes, and Blake Griffin... Still have a great chance to form a trio unless Minnesota finally climbs their way out of the gutter. Even then, a late lotto pick in next year's draft could land you a would-be top 5-7 talent this year.

True but what they could get out of next year's stacked draft could potentially be better than Irving anyways.

• Owner

The Clips did throw away last year's pick on Aminu, who I doubt will be a good enough player to matter...but it was the 8th pick as well. They could've picked Ed Davis, but really, that's the only other player that may have been big for them later down the road (or Jordan Crawford, but he fell pretty far, past a lot of teams).

Before the 2010 draft, the Clippers selected Griffin, Gordon and Jordan...all three starting for them, and all three productive players. One has the potential to be a superstar (Blake), and the other is a borderline all-star (Gordon).

Among the other high picks they've had in the past, Shaun Livingston could've been pretty good had he not snapped his leg in half. Al Thornton was at the end of the lottery (14th), so I'll disregard him. Yaroslav Korolev was completely worthless, but he was around the 10th-12th pick as well.

Kaman turned out to be an all-star center, and he was drafted by the Clips.

Elton Brand was basically drafted by the Clippers (LA took Tyson Chandler, traded him for Brand that same night, who became an all-star).

Odom was drafted by the Clippers.

I think people remember Michael Olowokandi more than they do the other players, mainly because he was the #1 pick in the draft, the mega-bust (arguably the biggest in history, worse than Kwame, to be honest), and a negative impact like that will be felt and remembered far longer than any that is left by those that I have named (other than Blake, if he becomes a superstar).

Elton Brand was basically drafted by the Clippers (LA took Tyson Chandler, traded him for Brand that same night, who became an all-star).).

No he wasn't, Brand played 2 seasons with the Bulls as a 20/10 player before being traded for Chandler.

• Owner

No he wasn't, Brand played 2 seasons with the Bulls as a 20/10 player before being traded for Chandler.

Whoa, nice catch. I usually don't [expletive] up that badly. :lol:

Chandler being traded on draft night is what screwed me there. I was just arguing something about Ron Artest and his stint in Chicago a couple of weeks back, when he and Brand were drafted by the Bulls, and Chicago wanted Ron to facilitate in the triangle, post-Jordan. No idea why that slipped my mind (almost 28 years old, maybe).