Spurs Acquire Kawhi Leonard for George Hill

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the Spurs are thinking with that trade. Kawhi is a great rebounder and perimeter defender, but he's really limited offensively. As least with George Hill you have a decent defender who can score in a variety of ways, perfect sixth man player mold. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this pans out.

Edited by Confidence248
  • Like 1

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the Spurs are thinking with that trade. Kawhi is a great rebounder and perimeter defender, but he's really limited offensively. As least with George Hill you have a decent defender who can score in a variety of ways, perfect sixth man player mold. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this pans out.

i think spurs still have dasean butler under contract, he'll be healthy next season

riley was comparing him to caron butler, that guy can score..spurs and pop usually know what they are doing lol i stopped doubting them a few years ago, they always made me look stupid

Hill was never going to be the future. His versatility and role as a backup was perfect for the Spurs, and will be missed. But I never saw him becoming a star.

As for Leonard, a young guy with some athletic talent on the boards and defensive end suits well for the Spurs. Can't shoot though. So much of the Spurs success(and other teams) comes from outside shooting.

It boils down to a couple of things with this trade, number 1 is you are filling a big need. Kawhi is a true SF, a good defender and a good rebounder. That right there is something the Spurs haven't had in awhile. Perimeter defense was a big problem last year and Pop said himself after the playoffs, we need to get back to defense. 2) it's all about $$$$. After this year Hill was going to want to get paid. I didn't see them throwing big money at Hill just to be a back up after Parker signed his deal. Not to mention, Hill is not a PG and with the log jam at the 2 he became our most valuable asset. His production can be replaced by Manu and Neal. Also James Anderson should get a considerable amount of PT next year. He was playing real well before his injury and I think he is going to be a good player.

i think spurs still have dasean butler under contract, he'll be healthy next season

riley was comparing him to caron butler, that guy can score..spurs and pop usually know what they are doing lol i stopped doubting them a few years ago, they always made me look stupid

They do still have Butler, and from what I'm hearing is that Pop is really high on this kid. They spent some of their MLE of guaranteed money to lock this kid up. I heard his rehab is going well, and he is feeling good.If he comes back healthy (ala Brewer) the Spurs will have some nice young talent at the 3 with him and Leonard.

I think trading George Hill basically gave Parker a vote of confidence and as we know, they are looking to get rid of Jefferson and Leonard can be the starting SF in the long run.

I'm really hoping that's the case, with Leonard, Butler (see above), and Danny Green (played pretty well in the minutes he got) the Spurs have some true SFs and they can easily make up for Dick Jeffersons fails. Plus this makes them pretty young and athletic on the wings.

I thought Hill was the future for the Spurs, does this shock anybody else or not really?

Like I said above, this move was mainly about money and filling a need, but George Hill was never going to be the "future" of the Spurs.I liked Hill and he had some memorable games with SA, but he was pretty inconsistent. That might have something to do with him being uncomfortable playing PG when he is a SG, but it was obvious when he was running the show he looked lost.

The future still has some light at the end of the tunnel.

Splitter (25 years old)

Dejuan Blair (22)

James Anderson (22)

Da'Sean Butler (23)

Gary Neal (26)

Kawhi Leonard (20)

Davis Bertans (18)

Cory Joseph (19)

Most of these guys will probably be rotation players next year (exception Bertans and maybe Joseph depending on how well he performs).The youth movement is here...