Ford: Motiejunas Will be Traded to Houston

Tough to swallow that we gave all that just to move up 3 spots but we got a GREAT prospect in Donatas Motiejunas. I've been lobbying for him for 2-3 years now, very happy that we managed to nab him after losing out on some of the more polished big men. Motiejunas has the potential to be one of the best players in this draft, some nasty reports on his willingness to play defense and box out but if there is any team that could help him reach his full potential its the Houston Rockets. Kevin McHale must be very happy too, gets a big man to groom for the next few years.

Edited by Dash

I liked what the Rockets did tonight, couldn't move up in the draft so found other ways to be productive. The roster is all kinds of messed up right now and other moves need to be made, but Daryl Morey once again stays aggressive.

Logjam at the forward positions:

Power forwards: Patrick Patterson, Luis Scola, Jordan Hill, Marcus Morris, and Donatas Motiejunas (potentially could be center but depends).

Small forwards: Chase Budinger, Terrence Williams, Chandler Parsons, and Marcus Morris (split minutes at 3?).

Grand total of 8 forwards. Someone has to be on the move.

Power forwards: Patrick Patterson, Luis Scola, Jordan Hill, Marcus Morris, and Donatas Motiejunas (potentially could be center but depends).

Small forwards: Chase Budinger, Terrence Williams, Chandler Parsons, and Marcus Morris (split minutes at 3?).

Yea I am a Donatas fan myself thats one of the players I wanted. Pretty pumped about it, but I don't like the Morris twin pick not a fan. Stupid log jam at the forward spots.

I am still doing cartwheels.

In Donatas Motiejunas, the Rockets see some of Dirk Nowitzki’s size, athleticism and offensive skills. That’s a huge projection, a huge leap. Motiejunas is far from a finished product, but so was Nowitzki when he entered the league.

“He has a really high upside, a lot of potential,” Morey said.

On a day when the Rockets believed they took a huge step toward returning to the playoffs even as they were unable to fill their biggest need, it’s the trade for Motiejunas that prompted high-fives and huge smiles in their draft room.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214339/Rockets_See_Shades_Of_Nowitzki_In_Motiejunas#ixzz1QE4pMgdS

Getting Donatas Motiejunas made the draft for me, I dont care who else we managed to get lol We have all the guys in the world to groom the big man into a star.

Scola or Hill will be moved, and i also think Chase might be moved as well.

Trust me, you do not want Motiejunas to play anywhere other than the 4. After watching the Raptors try and convert Bargnani (who I think we all can agree is a very similar player) from the small forward that he was in Treviso into a center, it just doesn't work. These guys are perimeter players who happen to be close to 7 feet and that is where they are the most comfortable. The worst thing you can do is try and get Motiejunas to bulk up in order to play the 5.

The Raptors did it with Bargnani and not only did he show that he is not suited to playing center, him bulking up from around 225-230 pounds to 250-255 pounds hurt his quickness, which is one of the biggest strengths he had over opposing big men. They should've just came to the realization that Bargnani is not a center and let him continue to play the position that he was comfortable at, which was a stretch 4. Bargnani has plenty of talent, but the Raptors trying to turn him into something that he is not completely ruined his development.

Just let Motiejunas do what he does best and don't try to turn him into something that he is not. Don't make the same mistake the Raptors made with Bargnani because it ruined what could've been a very good prospect.

I wouldn't want the Rockets to force him into the 5 but I don't see anything wrong with experimenting with it. That said, Motiejunas and Bargnani are two completely different people.

By the way, the Rockets will receive the Timberwolves 2012 2nd round pick.