NHL Offseason 2011

Phightins

A few weeks late starting this, but with free agency getting started tomorrow, I guess now is as good a time as any.

Today, Christian Ehrhoff reached an agreement with the Sabres.

Bob McKenzie reporting that Ehrhoff gets a 10 year deal!

10 year, $40M.

What a joke. These long term contracts that have played signed until their 40's to bring down the cap hit are just stupid.

Even if it is a straight $4M across the 10 years, it is still stupid. The next CBA absolutely has to include a limit on the amount of years that a contract can be for. I hate these long term deals.

I do have to admit that the Sabres defense is looking fantastic next season. Adding Regher and Erhoff to a d-corps that already had Myers, Leopold, Sekera and Gragnani (assuming he plays as well as he did in the playoffs) gives them a very nice mix of good shutdown guys/two way defenseman and offensive guys.

This new owner is doing wonders for this franchise.

10 year, $40M.

What a joke. These long term contracts that have played signed until their 40's to bring down the cap hit are just stupid.

Even if it is a straight $4M across the 10 years, it is still stupid. The next CBA absolutely has to include a limit on the amount of years that a contract can be for. I hate these long term deals.

I do have to admit that the Sabres defense is looking fantastic next season. Adding Regher and Erhoff to a d-corps that already had Myers, Leopold, Sekera and Gragnani (assuming he plays as well as he did in the playoffs) gives them a very nice mix of good shutdown guys/two way defenseman and offensive guys.

This new owner is doing wonders for this franchise.

There's nothing wrong with these deals. The team is the only one that would ever regret it, and it's their fault.

Bieksa's was fine. With the cap going up we had money to spare and he was a great player for us this year. 4.6 > the 6 million he was going to get on the Free Agent market. Bieksa and Hamhuis work very well together and come in at the same price, I'll take that everyday of the week. Consistent, tough and a shutdown pairing with offensive skills.

What a day of complete and utter shitty deals. Colorado is really going to risk a potentially top five pick and a second rounder for a goalie...a Russian one at that.

Buffalo is cleaning up. I really don't understand what Philly is doing but could work. Florida is just spending cash by the looks of it and Brad Richards is still a FA.

Can't wait to see some big trades.

See ya Ville. Love ya, but 6 years/$27M is a massive overpayment. Have fun with that, Sabres. Really happy Homer didn't match that. I will take one year of overpaying Jagr as opposed to 6 years of overpaying Leino.

Also, Versteeg to FLA. If the cap space isn't for Leino, perhaps it's for Gagne? Well, some of it will go towards getting Simmonds signed, but there will still be extra.

Simon Gagne signs with the Kings for 2 years/$7M. Nice addition for the Kings, especially if he can stay healthy. Their top 6 is looking very, very nice next season with:

Brown/Kopitar/Penner

Williams/Richards/Gagne

(not saying those are the lines, just the top 6 as I see it right now).

They are going to be very good next season.

Also, the Leafs overpaid for Tim Connolly with a 2 year/$9.5M contract. I don't really like the signing, but considering their desperate need for another center (since Bozak is clearly suited for a 3rd line role) and the complete lack of centers on the market, I can understand the signing. I'm not expecting much from Connolly during his time in Toronto, him staying healthy should probably be considered a success, but at least the Leafs aren't on the hook for any sort of long term cap hit and will be able to severe ties with him after 2 years when he undoubtedly gets injured yet again.

Should he stay healthy it at least gives Kessel somebody who has some skill and speed to play with, so I definitely understand the thought process behind this signing. This is just a stop gap signing to buy some more time for one of Kadri/Colborne to hopefully prove that they can be a number 1 center, though. That is quite obvious.

Also, according to Dreger he is making $5.5M in the first year and $4M in the 2nd year. If this is true, it should make it much easier to move him in the 2nd year should the Leafs want to dump him to some team that is needing to add salary in order to reach the cap floor. They will only have to pay him $4M but he will have a $4.75M cap hit for them.

Simon Gagne signs with the Kings for 2 years/$7M. Nice addition for the Kings, especially if he can stay healthy. Their top 6 is looking very, very nice next season with:

Brown/Kopitar/Penner

Williams/Richards/Gagne

(not saying those are the lines, just the top 6 as I see it right now).

They are going to be very good next season.

Also, the Leafs overpaid for Tim Connolly with a 2 year/$9.5M contract. I don't really like the signing, but considering their desperate need for another center (since Bozak is clearly suited for a 3rd line role) and the complete lack of centers on the market, I can understand the signing. I'm not expecting much from Connolly during his time in Toronto, him staying healthy should probably be considered a success, but at least the Leafs aren't on the hook for any sort of long term cap hit and will be able to severe ties with him after 2 years when he undoubtedly gets injured yet again.

Should he stay healthy it at least gives Kessel somebody who has some skill and speed to play with, so I definitely understand the thought process behind this signing. This is just a stop gap signing to buy some more time for one of Kadri/Colborne to hopefully prove that they can be a number 1 center, though. That is quite obvious.

Also, according to Dreger he is making $5.5M in the first year and $4M in the 2nd year. If this is true, it should make it much easier to move him in the 2nd year should the Leafs want to dump him to some team that is needing to add salary in order to reach the cap floor. They will only have to pay him $4M but he will have a $4.75M cap hit for them.

Richards-Gagne-Williams...*flashes back to my dreams of 2003*

Also, the Vokoun deal is absolutely sick for the Caps. And it makes the Bryzgalov deal look awful. Only man to blame for that is Ed Snider...

Burkie is putting in work so far and I am liking it. I've always been kind of a fan of Connolly, clearly not the player he was around 06, but I still think he is a very good stop gap until Colborne and Kadri are ready. Hopefully we can get 65 games or so out of him and that will be a success.

Then, we get Cody Franson for absolute peanuts. I like what I am hearing about him and his upside if he can learn to use his body, and I don't know the situation with Lombardi and his injury but he could be a contributor if he can get on the ice too, maybe. He was a 50+ point player the last time he played a full year, so he can definitely contribute if he can move past the injury.

If anyone else could give insight on the deals I'd appreciate it. Gotta admit I've been following the NBA way more than the NHL the last few years, but with the NBA missing a year gonna try and focus on the NHL as a whole beyond just the Maple Laughs.

Edited by Check my Stats

San Jose making yet another big move. They dealt Heatley to Minnesota for Martin Havlat.

I had a feeling that Healtey would be moved this summer after his disappearing act in the playoffs (again), but I did not see this trade coming at all. Not a bad return for Heatley considering how poorly he played last season and the contract that he is signed for. Havlat hasn't done much since leaving Chicago a couple of years ago (at least as far as I know, I could be wrong though) but I think him playing alongside Thornton and Marleau he could easily become the player that he used to be for the Sens and Hawks. Not sure how much more he has left in the tank though considering his injury history. Either way, it was a move the Sharks needed to make.

Heatley could use a change of scenery as well, but I don't think it will do much good for him. He really isn't a good player as he is completely mediocore in basically every aspect of the game aside from being really good at finding open space in the offensive zone and, of course, his wicked shot. I guess playing alongside somebody like Koivu, who is a very good playmaker and solid defensively, might help him out a bit, but after seeing him this psat season, I wouldn't hold my breath. He looks slower, weaker and his shot wasn't as deadly as it used to be (although it is still very good). I've never liked the guy so I could be letting that interfere with my opinions of him,

Burkie is putting in work so far and I am liking it. I've always been kind of a fan of Connolly, clearly not the player he was around 06, but I still think he is a very good stop gap until Colborne and Kadri are ready. Hopefully we can get 65 games or so out of him and that will be a success.

Then, we get Cody Franson for absolute peanuts. I like what I am hearing about him and his upside if he can learn to use his body, and I don't know the situation with Lombardi and his injury but he could be a contributor if he can get on the ice too, maybe. He was a 50+ point player the last time he played a full year, so he can definitely contribute if he can move past the injury.

If anyone else could give insight on the deals I'd appreciate it. Gotta admit I've been following the NBA way more than the NHL the last few years, but with the NBA missing a year gonna try and focus on the NHL as a whole beyond just the Maple Laughs.

Franson is still pretty raw at this point. He has very good offensive instincts and the potential to become a very good offensive defenseman, but he needs quite a bit of work in his own end. His positioning isn't very good and his defensive awareness is pretty poor. He has nice size at 6'5 and 215 pounds or so, but he doesn't exactly make great use of these two things. I'm sure that is one thing that Burke will look to work on him with considering how he likes his guys to play, especially his defenseman.

He was sheltered quite a bit in Nashvile last season as he only played around 12 minutes a game or so, but he is also only 23 years old and it was only his 2nd season in the league. He is a nice prospect who, at worst, is likely to be a number 6 defenseman for a team, which he pretty much is now, but if he puts it together I don't see why he can't become a solid top 4 defenseman who could possibly hit 35-40 points on a consistent basis.

As for Lombardi, he likely won't play next season as he is supposedly still a long ways away from returning from the concussion that he suffered in the first few games of last season. When healthy he is an excellent skater, solid penalty killer and has some offensive talent as well. He isn't a first line center by any means but as a 3rd line center, like he would likely be in Toronto behind Grabovski and Connolly, he would be a nice fit. I haven't really seen much of him since he left Calgary though, so most of what I know about him is from a couple of years ago. He is a nice player but much like Connolly, he just can't manage to stay on the ice.