Is it time to deal one of Boston's big three?

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

Kevin Garnett (one year, $21.2 million)

Ray Allen (one year, $10 million)

Paul Pierce (three years, $48 million)

It could be less likely that the Celtics will be able to work out a trade for Paul Pierce, given the fact that KG and Allen's deals are expiring contracts, but if you were Boston, would you start looking at, and strongly considering, offers that would bring you younger and/or cheaper talent?

Regardless of what the Celtics do they are done as championship contenders but given how weak the East is they can still be a strong second round team, and potentially get to the ECF (won't get past Miami though). If they decide to keep it together than they have to go out in free agency and sign a serviceable starting center (Dalembert?).

I wouldn't close the door on dealing one of the big three especially Kevin Garnett, who has the largest expiring contract in the NBA. Tracy McGrady's expiring net the Rockets a 20+ ppg scorer, a prospect, a pick swap, and a first round draft pick. Considering that the new CBA could possibly make such an expiring even more valuable makes think that Ainge should explore the possibility of blowing it up. Then again if the Celtics allow Ray Allen and Garnett to expire along with Jermaine O'Neal and Kristic then they could have enough to offer a max contract and be a major player in free agency.

Its going to be interesting what Ainge decides to do.

KG has hinted at retirement if the lockout continues throughout the regular season, and Ray, while he's in incredible shape, age will eventually catch up with him, and he won't have the same lift on his jump shot. Danny wants to start a new era in Boston, it's seems imminent considering the deal he made at the trade deadline, so unless KG and Ray come back to Boston on a vet minimum deals, I don't see them being apart of the future in Boston.

As for Pierce, he's basically untradeable, there's no way he gets traded away. He's a franchise icon, and will end his career in Boston without a doubt.

I fully expect them to run it back, build around the core, and then worry about the big three's future when their contracts are up. If the MLE exists, they could make offers to Caron Butler or Jamal Crawford, and with the help of some luck (no major injuries during their playoff run), they may be able to get back to the Finals... who knows.

I have a feeling Ainge as well as Doc still believe they can beat the Heat. The last two games they were leading going into the last 6 mins of the game and lost it because their starters had to over compensate for the injured Rondo. A fit Rondo, and who knows what happens (remember, I said it all season long, if Rondo controls the pace of the game, the Celtics will win).

So to put it simple, make another run, and then rebuild after next season.

I think the Celtics give it one more run with the current core. They need to get younger, luckily the Clippers are giving out 1st round draft picks like there free cookies. The Celtics will have a lottery pick in a very good draft class. They are likely to get a guy with a ton of potential.

Who the hell would want them? Nevermind giving up value for them. I love Ray, love him, but at this point he is worth no more than an assortment of shitty firsts from an elite team. Pierce is garbage in relation to his salary, and KG's contract is too big to match for a team to give up flexible contracts and value.

If the C's could break up the big 3, they should, but I don't think they can, at least not where they get anything worth while.

Who the hell would want them? Nevermind giving up value for them. I love Ray, love him, but at this point he is worth no more than an assortment of shitty firsts from an elite team. Pierce is garbage in relation to his salary, and KG's contract is too big to match for a team to give up flexible contracts and value.

If the C's could break up the big 3, they should, but I don't think they can, at least not where they get anything worth while.

Garnett and Ray are both on expriring contracts worth up to $10 million+.

As for Pierce, he's basically untradeable, there's no way he gets traded away. He's a franchise icon, and will end his career in Boston without a doubt.

I wouldn't say that.

Did you ever think that you would see Hakeem Olajuwon in a Raptors uniform? How about Patrick Ewing in a Magic uniform?

I'm sure there are many more examples that I could list if I really thought about this, but those are just two off of the top of my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Pierce gets moved either, but it wouldn't shock me at all if he did.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If I was Boston, I wouldn't trade Pierce. He'll definitely end his career in Boston, and if he played anywhere else, I can't see him playing well enough to have a consistent importance on a new team. As far as Garnett and Allen, the only teams I can see wanting them would be a young team on the brink of a playoff run (Thunder, Grizzlies, Trailblazers, or even the Bulls). In fact, I can see Allen or Garnett perfectly fitting in with any of those teams. As far as who the Celtics would get back, it would have to be a solid big man. As much criticism Perk got down low during his time in Boston, he was a great defender, and his absence in the playoffs last year was one of the big reasons the Celtics couldn't make the ECF. A replacement defensive big man would be good for Boston. A LaMarcus Aldridge (Blazers probably wouldn't let him go however), an Andrew Bogut, Al Horford, or a Kris Kaman would be a great fit. David Lee of New York would also be a good fit for Boston, because they would still have Amar'e down low to compensate.

David Lee is actually with the Warriors now. As a Bulls fan, I would give up anything aside from Rose, Noah and Luol for Allen but I doubt the Celtics would want anything from our side, except for Thibodeau.

It would be a bad idea to blow up the team. They would be well-served to hang on to the Big 3 for now.

The Spurs have arguably been at this point for half a decade with their aging core, and they're managed to stay (roughly) on top by adding serviceable bench players through the draft. Kevin Garnett has always relied more on athleticism than Tim Duncan, so he hasn't aged as well. But you could argue for Rondo over Parker and Pierce over Manu, and that's before thinking about Ray. Even the best of the eastern teams (I'm looking at you, Miami) have struggled mightily with consistency, and Boston's vets have a solid chance of winning the east in a shortened season.

Besides, David Kahn is crazy as ever. You could always try offering Minnesota some red stew for their birthright (or Kevin Love).

• Owner

It would be a bad idea to blow up the team. They would be well-served to hang on to the Big 3 for now.

The Spurs have arguably been at this point for half a decade with their aging core, and they're managed to stay (roughly) on top by adding serviceable bench players through the draft. Kevin Garnett has always relied more on athleticism than Tim Duncan, so he hasn't aged as well. But you could argue for Rondo over Parker and Pierce over Manu, and that's before thinking about Ray. Even the best of the eastern teams (I'm looking at you, Miami) have struggled mightily with consistency, and Boston's vets have a solid chance of winning the east in a shortened season.

Besides, David Kahn is crazy as ever. You could always try offering Minnesota some red stew for their birthright (or Kevin Love).

:o

Welcome back.

• Owner

I'm very surprised you remember me, since I was mainly a lurker who was too lazy to contribute! Thanks.

Dude, I remember a lot of posters that contributed. I'd say you did...not to the tune of thousands of posts, but I do remember you posting a lot of quality replies. I asked if you wanted to be a writer, can't recall if I actually put you on the crew or not (because I ended up tossing the crew a couple of times due to inactivity).

But, yes, I don't forget much. :P