Do the Nuggets need a superstar to contend?

• Owner

Danilo Gallinari

Ty Lawson

Wilson Chandler

Al Harrington

Andre Miller

Arron Afflalo

They have a lot of talent, but would you say the Nuggets need a superstar scorer (or at least an all-star caliber player) to actually contend for a championship, or can they build their team with the same concept as Larry Brown's Pistons?

Brown's Pistons didn't have any superstars but they had 4 players who were legitimate all-stars in Billups, Hamilton, Wallace and Wallace, as well as a 5th player who, at the Piston's peak, was pretty close to being on that level in Prince.

The current Nuggets don't really have any players who are likely to become on the same level as Billups, Ben and Sheed. Maybe Lawson and Gallinari can become fringe all-stars, but I wouldn't count on that.

I don't think the Pistons route would work with this team because, while they do have a lot of depth, the Pistons team was more talented than what the Nuggets have here.

So yeah, I would say that they need at least a legitimate number one option to become a contender. They don't need a bonafide superstar to simply become a contender because they do have a lot of nice pieces on the roster, but if they want to actually win a championship, I would say that they need to find a superstar, or at least somebody who is very close to being one.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

Brown's Pistons didn't have any superstars but they had 4 players who were legitimate all-stars in Billups, Hamilton, Wallace and Wallace, as well as a 5th player who at the Piston's peak, was pretty close to being on that level in Prince.

The current Nuggets don't really have any players who are likely to become on the same level as Billups, Ben and Sheed. Maybe Lawson and Gallinari can become fringe all-stars, but I wouldn't count on that.

I don't think the Pistons route would work with this team because, while they do have a lot of depth, the Pistons team was more talented than what the Nuggets have here.

So yeah, I would say that they need at least a legitimate number one option to become a contender. They don't need a bonafide superstar to simply become a contender because they do have a lot of nice pieces on the roster, but if they want to actually win a championship, I would say that they need to find a superstar, or at least somebody who is very close to being one.

Right, and not only that, but wow, the Pistons were an amazing defensive unit. That's basically what won them a championship.

Superstars win rings. So yeah Denver needs a superstar. If you go through history in the past 50 or so years, only the Pistons are the only team to win a title without a HOFer. That makes them the exception, not the rule.

But what Detroit lacked in superstar talent, they made up for it with amazing balance and incredible defense. They had 4 all-stars but they won games on the defensive end. Of their starters 4 of them were top 3 at their position defensively. They always had shooters and at least one post player on the floor. They brought defensive players like Campbell, James, and Hunter off the bench. Usually had dual shot-blockers with Sheed and Wallace on the floor.

They need someone they can build around. They have a lot of side dishes, now they need the main course.

They definitely need a superstar to become a legit ring contender. They are certainly not at that level yet.

As it's already been said this team cannot be compared with the 04 Pistons in any way, the Pistons had four true All Stars and one of the best defense of the whole decade (arguably the best one), and their starting lineup is one of the best, the most flawless (in the sense that they had a great player at each position) that I ever seen (the only other one that I can think about who was that good was the 02 Kings one). Usually there is always a flaw in every starting lineup, it wasn't the case for either the Pistons and Kings.

Besides as it's been said once again, no team has ever won a ring without a superstar. And I wouldn't even say that the Pistons were an exception. They had that superstar in fact. When Sheed joined the team I was sure that he would become that player, as he was the superstar of the Blazers and in term of pure talent certainly one of the very best forwards ever. And one of my favorite players as well... Which is why I was so disoppointed when I realized that Sheed didn't want to become the leader in Detroit... I think it would have been better for both the team and himself in fact. But Sheed was just a totally not selfish player, he just didn't want to be the number one option. Sad.

But anyway yes the Pistons had that superstar nonetheless : Chauncey Billups. Alright I am perfectly aware that Billups was not really a superstar and rather a star, right, BUT in the last minutes of the game, in the CLUTCH time, he was definitely playing like one. Like the true leader that teams need at those particular moments. And this is the main reason why the Pistons managed to get one ring. Because of Billups who played at that level when his team needed it. No matter their huge D of great chemistry (it definitely played a huge part though, I'm definitely not denying that at all), the Pistons would NEVER have won without Billups.

So there's no exception in fact, every team needs a superstar to win it all. Which is why I do not believe in the Spurs any longer by the way. And why I've said all season that I was sure they wouldn't win it all. Because they simply didn't have this superstar any longer. Duncan is now clearly past his prime. He's been owned by Dirk last year (even if the Spurs won the series) and by Randolph this year. He cannot carry his team to a ring, it's just impossible to say the opposite. And Ginobili and Parker cannot be the leaders. As good as Ginobili is he is just not a leader, because, contrary to someone like Billups, he lacks constancy, he's not enough under control, and tends to let himself getting carrying away by his "crazynes". Even if this "crazyness" saved the Spurs many times, that's true, it's still not what you expect from a leader as this "crazyness" also made the team lose many times... Besides he's too many injured. And he was eventually injured last year, as I expected... You won't have your first injury free season at the age of 34. As for Parker he's just not a leader, he's a second option and will never be better than that. So until the Spurs get that leader they will not be a legit contender any longer, they can still be a top 4 team in the West, I can expect them to make it to the second round but I certainlly do not believe whatsoever that they can win a ring with their current roster any longer.

Well anyhow I should get back to the Nuggets as this is clearly not the Spurs forum lol (just used the Spurs as an example here), and to answer the question the Nuggets definitely needs a true superstar, a true leader, to become a legit contender. Right now I can't see them going any further than the second round AT THE VERY BEST.

They need a legit center to start with. Maybe if they could somehow get in the dwight sweepstakes and persuade him to want to go there. Then I would consider them contenders I guess. Really depends on who they trade for him.

Dallas had less superstars than Miami and beat them, I still think team can beat superstars at the end of the day.

The problem we have is playing small ball, Karl liking to play forwards at center (Al Harrington at C is a joke)... and 2 PGs at the same time, which is retarded defensively. We'll see a lot of Andre Miller and Ty at the same time... ugh. And we have pretty talented Cs in Mozgov and Koufos healthy, but not playing.

As long as the retarded rotation goes on, we won't be able to be a true team. In other words, the change starts from the coach.