James Harden: Sixth Man or Starter?

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Harden has been used as the Thunder's sixth man for the first two years of his career despite the fact that he is clearly the third best player on the team and some would argue the 2nd most important player behind Kevin Durant. Thabo Sefolosha has had the starting SG spot on lock but after Harden's mini coming out party in the playoffs many people wondered whether he should be given the reigns as the starting shooting guard next season (whenever that may be), while others have continued to think that him being a 28-32 minute sixth man a la Manu Ginobili is the role he is best suited for.

With Thabo signed for another 3 seasons I'm sure this will be a continuous debate, assuming he continues to be one of the premier defensive shooting guards in the league and Harden doesn't become a bonafide star.

So the question is, do you think Harden should be the starting SG for the Thunder?

If so, when should he take over from Harden?

He's better as a 6th man, although he should be getting closer to 30MPG than he has in the past. He's a good scorer and an underrated passer, but he just doesn't offer the kind of all-around game that you'd preferably like from a starter, and his style of plat fits better as a 6th man. With that said, I do think the Thunder need to get rid of Sefolosha as a starter, even if it means starting Harden. Thabo is just way too much of a liability offensively, which kills them in 4th quarters when team's zero-in on Westbrook and Durant.

• Owner

Start him now. Thabo isn't going to cut it, honestly. I would reconsider if he had SOMETHING to contribute on the offensive end, but the Thunder have nothing going other than Durant and Westbrook, so they might as well give Harden more minutes, start him to build confidence, and see how far he goes with it.

He's in that Manu role right now, and it seems like the Thunder are more comfortable using him that way. I personally would rather start him and get him used to starting out games so he could also develop on the other side of the floor and not just offense.

Thabo is a legitimate perimeter defender, but I don't think he should start over Harden.

I'm not sure that he needs to start. I think he's effective in the role he's in. It's not so much who starts but rather how much PT he gets and, more importantly, if he finishes game.

Like Legacy said, Harden is in the Ginobili role, and Thabo is like Bruce Bowen. That worked out well for the Spurs. I do think that Harden needs to play over 30 mpg, though, since unlike SA, the Thunder don't have a big man that's a legit scoring threat.

• 2 months later...

Agree with Moe. I don't care and I'm pretty sure Harden doesnt care what he does. He's goin get minutes either way. I love having Thabo in the game because I love his defense and I feel he's better shooter than he gets credit for. Harden played really big for us down the stretch in the playoffs and I personally think he deserves to start. I'm think the starting lineup should look like (and proly will be this.)

Westbrook

Harden

Durant

Ibaka

Perkins