Lawson to Lithuania

DENVER (AP)—Denver Nuggets point guard Ty Lawson(notes) has signed a deal to play with the Lithuanian club Zalgiris Kaunas that will allow him to return to the NBA if the lockout ends.

The team’s general director, Paulius Motiejunas, confirmed the deal Monday night.

Lawson will team up with Sonny Weems(notes), a former Nuggets guard who signed with the Lithuanian squad last month. Unlike Lawson’s deal, Weems agreed to a contract without an NBA opt-out clause. Weems played last season for Toronto.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkpoB3Lw.NIFd21jKDe8c9u8vLYF?slug=ap-lawson-lithuania

These are the guys that need to head to overseas. The NBA elites like Kobe, Wade, Paul, Howard, etc. can survive a lockout given their max salaries and endorsement deals.

But the NBA middle class need to cash since they're more likely to fold once they start missing pay checks.

I dont think its the money that takes them overseas, i think its the desire to keep playing and developing as a player that takes them especially the younger stars. If i were in their shoes i would do the same, playing on a team with live full speed actions is worlds different from playing in a gym by yourself or at a park. Why not take advantage of getting better while others decline waiting for the lockout to end.

That might be part of it but lets not pretend money isn't an issue for a lot of them. Just because there's a lockout doesn't mean these guys don't have bills to pay, especially those on smaller contracts. The life-span of a pro athlete is short, they have to make as much money as they can while they can.

That might be part of it but lets not pretend money isn't an issue for a lot of them. Just because there's a lockout doesn't mean these guys don't have bills to pay, especially those on smaller contracts. The life-span of a pro athlete is short, they have to make as much money as they can while they can.

Well ofcourse but some believe thats the only reason they play which is 100% false, its a factor for sure but not the only one.