What's more impressive?

The Regime

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There isn't a whole lot of basketball discussion around the board so I thought I would take a topic off RealGM which I found interesting. Debate has potential as long as you guys stay on topic and make relevant posts.

LeBron- 52 points 11 assists 10 rebounds 2 blocks 0 steals 3 TO's 52% FG 28% 3FG 16/19 Free throws

- Against the 32-50 New York Knicks (28th best defensive team)

- Game finished 107-102 so no piling stats in garbage time

- LeBron played 44 minutes

- Only time in history every happened

-Game held more importance as Cavs were in race for number 1 seed

Kobe- 81 points 2 assists 6 rebounds 3 steals 1 block 3 TO's 60% FG 53% 3FG 18/20 Free throws

-Against 27-55 Toronto Raptors (29th best defensive team)

-Game finished 122-104

- Kobe played 42 minutes

- Highest non-Wilt scoring outburst

So which of these two performances was more impressive? For me, it's the 81 point game simple because it is virtually impossible to reach the 80 point feat, let alone score into the 60's and 70's. Granted the defense wasn't top of the line, Kobe's efficiency is what makes this performance that much more special.

Both are absolutely incredible, but Kobe's was simply more rare. I mean, as amazing as LeBron's 52pts were, Kobe scored 55pts in the 2nd half alone of his 81pt game. LeBron's 9 assist advantage would definitely have been made up by Kobe's 29pt advantage, and Kobe also scored considerably more efficiently.

Kobe.

Some coaches still believed one guy couldn't beat a team, they often said that they'll play a star straight up and as long as the rest of the team was shut down they would be fine.

That theory was proved wrong. (Actually that was probably proven wrong when he outscored Dallas 62-61 in three quarters the month before)

LA was down 20+ even mid-way through the 3rd and was still a somewhat close game for part of the 4th quarter. What makes it impressive to me is that he brought them back when the Lakers had Chris Mihm, Smuth Parker, and Kwame Brown starting. Lamar Odom was their 2nd option but playing like a 5th option and only had 8 points. Their key bench players were Devean George, Luke Walton, and Sasha Vujacic. Yeah it was that bad.

I'd argue that the 81 point game was more impressive than Wilt's 100.

What makes it impressive to me is that he brought them back when the Lakers had Chris Mihm, Smuth Parker, and Kwame Brown starting. Lamar Odom was their 2nd option but playing like a 5th option and only had 8 points. Their key bench players were Devean George, Luke Walton, and Sasha Vujacic. Yeah it was that bad.

The Raptors were also awful, so I don't think Kobe's supporting cast for that one game means all that much

I'd argue that the 81 point game was more impressive than Wilt's 100.

Agreed, although I'd put Jordan's 69pt game over either...69pts (23-37 from the field, 2-6 from 3, 21-23 from the FT line), 18reb, 6ast, 4stl, only 2to. It was also only a 4pt game that went into OT.

• 2 weeks later...