Philadelphia Flyers 2011-12

Phightins

Couple interesting veterans in camp on a tryout basis: Michael Nylander and Adam Mair. I wonder if Nylander and Jagr will play together in the preseason.

I really doubt that either makes the roster. Too tight against the cap. If the Flyers were able to clear a little bit of space, I think they'd rather give a roster spot to Sean Couturier or Matt Read anyway. But Nylander is especially intriguing, given the whole Jagr reunion deal.

Edited by Phightins

Where does Schenn pencil into the lineup? I'm guessing it will be as the 3rd line center with Simmonds on one of his wings and Talbot (?) on the other.

I've been a fan of his ever since I saw him play against the Kelowna Rockets when he was 16 or 17 years old and I was furious when Toronto won their last game of the 09 season which resulted in them picking 7th instead of 5th and missing out on him (although I am fairly happy with Kadri).

Even my hate for all things Flyers won't stop me from cheering for him

Rookie game today vs. Caps. Was awesome to see hockey at WFC again. Admission was free, and I was down in the Complex anyway for the Phillies game, so I gave serious thought to going. Didn't work out though.

Anyway, Blake Kessel (Phil's bro) was very impressive apparently. Goal and assist. Schenn and Couturier looked good also.

Speaking of Blake Kessel, I am wondering if he actually has a chance of making the team. They obviously like him, since they brought him into camp on a tryout deal and signed him after like, 2 practices. Even at age 22, I feel like he is a better 3rd pairing option than Bartulis or Lilja. I have also gotten the impression all along that they don't want to rush Gustafsson, so Kessel may get a legit look in the preseason. Maybe I am way off here, we'll see.

My aspirations are that they will be a contender in the East. I also expect significant growing pains, with at least six new forwards plus a new goaltender. I have no idea what to expect, really.

Winter Classic to be officially announced on Monday. Sweet.

http://s1.proxy04.twitpic.com/photos/large/404539801.jpg

Matt Gelb with the pic from CBP.

Edited by Phightins

Can you really say this is a 10 game suspension, though? I mean, does being suspended for preseason games really even matter?

I'm not complaining about the suspension or anything because I do think 5 regular season games is fair, but as far as I am concerned this is a 5 game suspension and not a 10 game one (just like Leblond's is a 1 game suspension in my mind). Being suspended for preseason means nothing to me, especially considering I doubt Shelley plays in anymore than 3 of those games anyways.

I do like how Shanny goes on the radio and explains what his thought process was behind giving out the suspension.

Can you really say this is a 10 game suspension, though? I mean, does being suspended for preseason games really even matter?

I'm not complaining about the suspension or anything because I do think 5 regular season games is fair, but as far as I am concerned this is a 5 game suspension and not a 10 game one (just like Leblond's is a 1 game suspension in my mind). Being suspended for preseason means nothing to me, especially considering I doubt Shelley plays in anymore than 3 of those games anyways.

I do like how Shanny goes on the radio and explains what his thought process was behind giving out the suspension.

Believe me, he'd be playing in all 5. Which is why I am so happy about this.

Another big round of cuts today. Matt Read and Sean Couturier are still around, though. Read has been incredible this camp/preseason, and from what I hear Lavy is in love with him. I am thinking he is almost a lock to make the roster now.

Out of Schenn/Couturier/Read, Read is the best bet to make the NHL roster (practically a lock from what I am hearing). Kind of a shift from where things were a month ago.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I really don't think time in the AHL would be a bad thing for Schenn, and Couturier has a long way to go (although he'd be going back to Juniors). I think all three could hold their own in the NHL right now, but their development should be the primary objective. Many people in the organization still believe that JvR was brought to the NHL way too soon and it stunned his development, so I am guessing they don't want to make the same mistakes again. Although Holmgren's job is on the line this season, so maybe he will be more aggressive with the kids. We shall see.

I'd send Couturier back to Drummondville for another season. I'm sure he could be a serviceable 3rd liner this season, but is that really worth it for the development of one of your top 2 or 3 prospects? As far as I am concerned, unless the player is a lock for a top 6 role with the NHL he should be sent back down to junior to continue his development there.

Give him another year in junior and then see where things stand next season.

I've got a similar opinion to Schenn in where if you don't think he is going to play a fairly large role and would only factor in for around 8-10 minutes a night wouldn't you rather have him play 20 minutes in all situations (PP, PK, ES) in the AHL? After all, he is only 20 years old and I don't think I have ever heard of a story where a player's career was ruined because he spent too much time in the minors, but players have had their careers ruined by being rushed to the NHL.