Philadelphia Flyers 2011-12

Phightins

You don't think there would be lots of complaining and finger pointing if the Flyers struggle this year after making that trade, and Richards and Carter player well in L.A. and Columbus?

Richards and Carter trade were terrific IMO. The finger pointing if they struggle should go to Nabby and Jagr and even if that doesn't pan out, they have a terrific young core to build around.

The reason they "need to win" is because Ed Snider is a senile old man. He backed Paul Holmgren into a corner this offseason. These trades make the future look very bright, but also leave many question marks for this coming season. However, there is still a lot of pressure to win this year because, well, Ed Snider is crazy. And lots of the fans around here are crazy. Ticket prices increased by like, 200%, which has a lot of fans saying "great, you trade away two great players and then drive prices up? You better win now".

But I tend to agree that Schenn and Couturier would be better off not on the roster to start. I have a feeling at least one will be though. Maybe both.

The reason they "need to win" is because Ed Snider is a senile old man. He backed Paul Holmgren into a corner this offseason. These trades make the future look very bright, but also leave many question marks for this coming season. However, there is still a lot of pressure to win this year because, well, Ed Snider is crazy. And lots of the fans around here are crazy. Ticket prices increased by like, 200%, which has a lot of fans saying "great, you trade away two great players and then drive prices up? You better win now".

But I tend to agree that Schenn and Couturier would be better off not on the roster to start. I have a feeling at least one will be though. Maybe both.

Yeah it's very confusing. Two great trades and then you sign a goalie to that price? If they would have taken the youth movement I believe they would still be a competive team with Claude and JVR but like you posted above, money is over most things for owners and I've seen it first hand.

Yeah it's very confusing. Two great trades and then you sign a goalie to that price? If they would have taken the youth movement I believe they would still be a competive team with Claude and JVR but like you posted above, money is over most things for owners and I've seen it first hand.

Seeing what the Capitals did makes it even more weird/disappointing. Very similar situation down there. They get Vokoun for a bargain and turn Varlamov into a first round pick. The Flyers overpay for Bryzgalov and hang onto Bobrovsky to let him rot away on the bench. Very confusing indeed.

I am thinking that the power play has the potential to be sick this year (huge improvement over last year). A top unit of Giroux, Briere, Voracek, Jagr on the point, plus Timonen/Pronger/Carle is very scary. Has been my favorite part of the preseason thus far.

Blair Betts waived. I guess we have several other guys who can fill his role and do a decent job, but I always thought he was a tremendous value for such a small cap hit. Some NHL team is about to get a terrific 4th line center.

Maybe this secures Couturier's spot?

Blair Betts waived. I guess we have several other guys who can fill his role and do a decent job, but I always thought he was a tremendous value for such a small cap hit. Some NHL team is about to get a terrific 4th line center.

Maybe this secures Couturier's spot?

And that team would be the Canadiens. Wish we'd have kept him, especially with Schenn going to the AHL (for now). Center depth lacking.

Okay, the sheer stupidity of letting Betts leave for absolutely nothing is just starting to set in.

Seriously, couldn't turn him into a draft pick or something? Some of the shit this team does amazes me.

Early observations:

-Timonen and Pronger look very old and very slow. They did in the first period at least. I will hope this was just a product of sitting in the locker room for an hour right before face off and isn't something terribly major.

-This top line (JvR-Giroux-Jagr) is going to be hella fun to watch.

Blair Betts failed his physical with the Canadiens and has been returned to the Flyers. So the Flyers are officially over the salary cap. This will get interesting.

There have been a lot of trade rumors involving Scott Hartnell lately. If there is indeed interest out there, the time has definitely come for the Flyers to pull the trigger (assuming most of his salary can be cleared, which is no sure thing, obviously). Brayden Schenn has nothing left to prove in any non-NHL level of hockey. He is wasting away in the AHL right now (5 points through 2 games so far, no surprise). Not to mention the cap situation (even more in question right now with the whole Blair Betts situation), which would be improved big time if Hartnell's number came off the books.

I am not sure who has interest in Hartnell. I have heard Nashville mentioned. But it seems pretty obvious that something is up, since he has been getting very little ice time so far this season.

So basically, if this can be done, it has to be done. It would allow them to get Schenn to the NHL, it would allow them to keep Sean Couturier all season, and it would open up an additional $2 million or so of cap space to play with.

Really disappointing how the Flyers treat their fans like shit. Some of the best fans in the league. Every game is packed, awesome TV ratings every night, etc etc etc. As if the 200% price increase on all upper level seats this season wasn't enough, now they are screwing everyone (season ticket holders and common fans) for Winter Classic tickets.

Basically, the general public will have absolutely no access to tickets (besides through third parties such as StubHub). Season ticket holders get access, but they are forced to not only buy tickets to the main event, but also to the alumni game and the Phantoms game later in the week. An absolute joke. Although, the lack of access for the general public is the NHL's doing and not the Flyers. Still incredibly annoying. I really want to go to this game, but now it looks like I will either need to pay an arm and a leg on StubHub or hope to get lucky and get invited by a season ticket holder.

Zac Rinaldo drives me insane, and he is not particularly good, but I will give him credit. He is tough as nails. Just held his own vs Konopka.

Konopka isn't really much of a fighter, though. He just holds onto you and tries to tire you out, then he finally starts throwing punches. 90% of his fights that I have seen ar enothing more than him hugging the opposing fighter.

I can't stand anything Sens related, so I definitely have bias towards Konopka, but I still don't think he is much of a fighter. He did a great job of running away from Orr in the Leafs/Sens game earlier this year and only chirping when there was a ref between them or they were on the bench, though. I'll give him credit for that as he is oustanding at that.

Konopka isn't really much of a fighter, though. He just holds onto you and tries to tire you out, then he finally starts throwing punches. 90% of his fights that I have seen ar enothing more than him hugging the opposing fighter.

I can't stand anything Sens related, so I definitely have bias towards Konopka, but I still don't think he is much of a fighter. He did a great job of running away from Orr in the Leafs/Sens game earlier this year and only chirping when there was a ref between them or they were on the bench, though. I'll give him credit for that as he is oustanding at that.

Yeah. Still seemed like a pretty big mismatch though.