David Stern: Season hangs in balance

deestillballin

When NBA labor talks resume Friday, NBA commissioner David Stern is planning to threaten players with the cancellation of the entire 2011-12 season if the sides haven't made major progress toward a deal by the end of the weekend, according to sources close to the talks.

Although sources said the union views such an extreme stance as more of a negotiating tactic than a legitimate threat, Stern went almost that far in his comments to reporters in New York on Wednesday after a second straight day of negotiations.

Referring to meetings scheduled Friday that are expected to attract as many as 15 owners and star players such as the Heat's LeBron James, Stern said: "I'm focused on let's get the two committees in and see whether they can either have a season or not have a season, and that's what's at risk this weekend."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7031637/nba-lockout-owners-players-meet-friday-possibly-weekend

Wow really? yall need to get this shit on the ball.. quick fast and in a HURRY

There is no hope at all for the season starting on time. At least with the NFL there were constant news updates on how the two sides were getting closer. All I hear from the NBA is how far apart they are and there is no effort from either side to get it done. Even the players know it. Thats why a lot of them are doing pickup games and playing in other leagues.

The difference between the NFL and the NBA is that the NBA is losing way more money. I remember hearing that the NFL wouldn't even release their finances (because they weren't as bad off as they made it seem), while meanwhile, the NBA is willing to tell anyone who will listen how much they are losing.

The NBA will be lucky if there is a shortened season. I believe in the end, the owners will get what they want, some sort of hard cap, and the players will get owned, just like what happened in the NHL. People are reluctant to compare the two, but the similarities are too hard for me to ignore.

Hopefully we can get a shortened season, but I have serious doubts unless the owners and players are willing to find a middle ground, which I doubt they will. There are probably 7-10 owners who are fine with the system, and the rest probably want it overhauled. That tells the entire story right there.

• Owner

Thumbs up to RC Buford, who is pushing to get something done. That's all I have to say about it right now.

Even read that Jerry Buss was in the same boat as Buford, and us Laker fans have been hearing all year, for 2-3 years, that Buss is reluctant to spend because he's losing money.

I'm sick of waiting, sick of not hearing any progress. The owners that are sitting on their hands need to be pistol-whipped and forced to get this done.