Chris Sheridan Would be Surprised if No Deal Done by Tuesday

The Lone Granger

NBA insider Chris Sheridan said Thursday that he would be surprised if the owners and players don't have a deal done by Tuesday.

It's just one man's opinion and he has been on the optimistic side thus far, but he's also plugged in and makes some valid points (interview linked below). Like many, he believes the BRI split will be closer to 50/50 and that the owners will have exacted their pound of flesh at that point. At this point, it seems like the rub is whether or not David Stern can convince hard-line owners to not run the score up.

rotoworld

It's good to see at least one guy seeing it this way. I agree with him. The cancellation of a season would be so damaging to the league, and to all the individual teams, and I think they're finally realizing that. This weekend is the time that both sides want to get a deal done, and they will both make concessions to get one done. Good to see.

Thoughts?

The upcoming week is for sure the most important week for players and owners to prevent a lockout. I am fairly certain most fans have already put NBA on the back of their minds and another 9 or so months without any reminder would mean that NBA have a lot of work to do to bring fan support back to the hyped up state it was 3-4 months ago.

Sheridan also said there would be no lockout.

The truth is though, even if some owners are losing money running a team, they would lose even more money not having a season.

Yep. And if I recall correctly, 22 teams are in fact profitable.

Broussard talked to Matt Bonner who said no meeting tomorrow and no big progress today.

http://twitter.com/#!/NYPost_Berman/status/120257093788897280

Pathetic. At this rate, there's no way we have a season. Nearly 8 hours of meeting, and you can't get anything significant done? Wow.

Union attorney Kessler says all talk today about salary cap system. Not a lot of progress.

http://twitter.com/#!/briancmahoney/status/120260026811154432

So for 7 hours, all you talk about is the cap system, and you can't even get that done? My God, they didn't even discuss BRI...

Like CmS said, are you surprised?

It is pretty damn clear that the two sides are ridiculously far apart and no agreement is going to come anytime soon unless one side completely caves, which seems highly unlikely.

I've said it plenty of times before. The best case scenario is a 50 game season, but the most likely one is no season at all. Nothing that has been reported after these meetings has given me any reason to think otherwise.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Like CmS said, are you surprised?

It is pretty damn clear that the two sides are ridiculously far apart and no agreement is going to come anytime soon unless one side completely caves, which seems highly unlikely.

I've said it plenty of times before. The best case scenario is a 50 game season, but the most likely one is no season at all. Nothing that has been reported after these meetings has given me any reason to think otherwise.

I've always had this hidden sense of optimism regarding the lockout, not sure why, but I want to believe there will be a season..

Having said that though, I think the players will cave, after reading all these tweets, it seems quite clear that the owners are waiting till the players lose a lot of these paychecks, they are set on having the BRI go in their favor. The proposals these owners are making are untenable because there is no consensus amongst them on a realistic way of moving forward.

I won't be shocked at all if there is no season. The players seem to be enjoying these charity games and going overseas if necessary, doesn't seem like they are bothered, if its just about basketball and not the money, then they are getting their stuff done either way.

http://twitter.com/#!/briancmahoney/status/120260026811154432

So for 7 hours, all you talk about is the cap system, and you can't even get that done? My God, they didn't even discuss BRI...

The BRI and cap system are intertwined. Basically from what I hear the deal will likely either be 53% of the BRI (to the players) and a hard cap, or a 50/50 splt on the BRI with a soft cap (albeit likely modified from the current system).

sheridanhoops Chris Sheridan

Union says move from 54 to 53 percent was worth $1 billion over six years. Hunter says union was never willing to drop below 50s.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

Hunter: "Fifty three is our position. We were never inclined to come out of 50's and they were never inclined to come up..."

NBAonESPN The NBA on ESPN

Billy Hunter: "There has been no discussion about next meetings. Maybe a month. Two months. Your guess is as good as mine."

Also read that owners went up to 47% on their offer... 6% difference now.

There won't be any season until the union decertifies and puts pressure on Stern, or the owners take responsibility for poorly running a franchise and that's the biggest reason they can't turn a profit.

BTW for those of you still in school, how much better will your grades be now that the NBA won't distract you? Probably can get straight A's. Try to look at the silver lining.

• Owner

I'm considering turning OTR into college basketball territory for the rest of the year. We are getting absolutely murdered in search engine results, now that we have no news to discuss.

I could expand the college basketball forum, somehow, have college basketball reps (which would take forever to create), and even have college bball players on our main banner.