Chris Sheridan Would be Surprised if No Deal Done by Tuesday

The Lone Granger

So if you read between the lines and cut through the bullshit, the end game became clear.

There is a deal to be done at 51/49 or 52/48, and there are five days to get there.

To me, that’s a layup.

A very optimistic article here by Chris Sheridan.

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/10/04/nba-lockout-update-5/

@RicBucher

FWIW: 50-50 BRI split sounds fair because splitting anything 50-50 sounds fair. In this case, it's 50-50 of what owners deem to share.

@RicBucher

Example: Let's split a pizza. I'll split four slices with you, 50-50. The other 12 slices? Not pizza. Bruschetta. I keep the bruschetta.

If what he's saying is true, that's most of the problem.

@RicBucher

FWIW: 50-50 BRI split sounds fair because splitting anything 50-50 sounds fair. In this case, it's 50-50 of what owners deem to share.

@RicBucher

Example: Let's split a pizza. I'll split four slices with you, 50-50. The other 12 slices? Not pizza. Bruschetta. I keep the bruschetta.

If what he's saying is true, that's most of the problem.

From my understanding, that is a description of the "official" offer the owners made, which on the surface is a 50/50 split, but when you consider other things involved it comes out to 53/47 in favor of the owners. What the owners informally offered today was a true 50/50 split, which the players also rejected.

Not this is a lot more refreshing. Berger has been all over the lockout since the start, when he's writing something like this, it holds a lot of weight.

Yeah Woj and Berger have just about been the only writers I've paid any attention to during the lockout. I couldn't ignore this though, take it FWIW.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2201/81312252.png

Yeah a few guys on Twitter are saying that Sunday should be the day they come to an agreement.

I kind of find it ironic that Garnett was one of the uncompromising players during the latest labor meeting, I guess he's trying to repair his image, considering he was one of the major "villains" during the '99 lockout.

More updates:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

As labor meeting unfolds in NY, several NBA execs have hope of deal in next 24-48 hours. Why? They don't have faith in players holding line.

daldridgetnt David Aldridge

The players stand to lose around $2.1B in salaries if there's no season. That's around $360M/month. They're holding out for $80M.

Like owners, players don't all make the same. But collectively, the amount they're arguing over, compared to what they'll lose, is minute.

I'm not taking a side here. I'm pointing out that the losses for both sides are much greater for both sides than what separates them.

I still don't believe anything till it's official, but this is damn good news. Aldridge makes some great points here.

So this means that we're going to miss at least some of the season right? I think the deadline for a full season was today.

I'm guessing they will give it one more go tomorrow, if it doesn't get resolved by then, the first 2 weeks will be canceled.

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy

I just spoke to a source close to the labor talks. "We're getting close," he said. "We're definitely making progress."

The two sides have agreed on a reduced version of the mid-level exception. That was one of the biggest issues entering today's meeting.

Looking good so far...hopefully they can come to an agreement on the BRI issues once the system issues are taken care of.

From what I have read/heard, it sounds like they made enough progress today that they aren't officially canceling the first two weeks of the season just yet. Instead, they are talkiing about pushing the start of the season back to mid-late November and still playing an 82 game schedule.

Who knows if it is true or not, but it sounds like they are definitely closing in on a deal if they are willing to do something like that.

Don't expect a deal today, though.

Stern could call for "postponement" of 1st two weeks of regular season - not a cancellation - if progress warrants more talks, source says.

basketballtalk Kurt Helin

About postponement of NBA season: The NBA can't back up the season much this year because Olympics start July 27. Need time for that team.

IraHeatBeat Ira Winderman

Again, all arenas, under league mandate, had to clear dates for opening round of playoffs, so extra dates are there if playoffs compacted.

How could postponement of season work? Nov 15 tip; more back to backs, make ups at end of reg season; shorter layoffs between playoff games.

Nothing relevent to the lockout, but I found these pretty funny.

KBergCBS Ken Berger

Media chased away from hotel entrance after threat from management to call police. #NBA #lockout

ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix

Angry hotel guy still complaining about press, even though we're across the street. Calm down, buddy. Calm down.