Carmelo Anthony reveals offseason surgeries

ChosenOne

PHILADELPHIA -- Maybe the delayed training camp won't be so bad for Carmelo Anthony.

The Knicks forward revealed more elements to his mysterious offseason, disclosing last night he had knee and elbow surgery simultaneously in May. Anthony disclosed the surgeries after playing 48 minutes and dropping 31 points with 17 rebounds last night at the sweaty Palestra in a lockout-inspired barnstorming-tour loss.

The Knicks never announced the procedures. Anthony said he had arthroscopic surgery on the left knee and an elbow procedure, as he suffers from chronic bursitis.

"Can't tell, can you?" Anthony said after his rugged performance.

Anthony said it was the first time in his life he's had surgery.

"I did both of them," Anthony said. "They were bothering me seven years."

Anthony said the procedures came at the same time. The Post had reported in June that he was shut down in the offseason by the Knicks to rest his elbow bursititis, but Anthony had never complained about knee soreness.

He did not return to the basketball court until August when Team Melo, representing Baltimore, started its barnstorming tour. The 6-8 small forward claims he's down to 230 pounds - which is four pounds less than he was last season.

"I would be coming back at training camp, if there is one, less than than I left last year," Anthony said. " I feel good mentally and physically. My mindset is about starting next week. That's where my mindset is at and body is at. Games are fun for charity, but at the same time we want to get something out of it."

New York Post

I didnt know he was going under the knife this offseason.