U.S. Soccer Team Discussion Thread

Cobb

The U.S. Women will play Japan on Monday in their first rematch since losing to them in last year's Women's World Cup. All the U.S. needs to do is win and they're in the championship match.

• 3 weeks later...
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- New York Red Bulls forward Juan Agudelo has a torn meniscus in his left knee that will keep him out of the rest of Olympic qualifying for the U.S.

The U.S. Soccer Federation announced Saturday an MRI exam confirmed the extent of the injury. Agudelo hurt his knee in Thursday night's 6-0 win over Cuba and left at halftime.

Agudelo will return to the Red Bulls on Sunday to work out a treatment plan with team doctors.

The U.S. under-23 team cannot replace his spot on the roster.

ESPN.com

Not looking good, considering we just lost 2-0 to Canada. Now we must beat El Salvador on Monday in order to advance to the semifinals.

Can't believe we lost to El Salvador game because of poor goalkeeping. That's the one thing I was least worried about going into qualifying.

Darn, I completely forgot there was a US Soccer topic:

Costly error in injury time ends USA’s Olympic hopes

http://i44.tinypic.com/5wdlom.jpg

Freddy Adu's Olympic dreams came to a heartbreaking end with a 3-3 draw to El Salvador. (AP)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – On a night of swings and dips and controversy and drama – and one catastrophic error – the United States’ Olympic dreams were washed away amid a flood of tears.

The most rudimentary of follies from substitute goalkeeper Sean Johnson in the final seconds of injury time eliminated USA from the CONCACAF qualifying tournament in the cruelest fashion possible, as El Salvador snatched a 3-3 draw at LP Field.

The suddenness of it all, the end of an adventure that was supposed to span several more months and cross the Atlantic to London, was too much for many players and head coach Caleb Porter to bear.

Source

I guess I wasn't off-topic since it still fits under 'General Soccer Discussion'. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

New 2012/13 UMSNT and USWNT jerseys were revealed today. They were the same ones that were leaked back in November 2011.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/PapiChuloCobb/yhst-96316601417599_2207_2663195.jpg

I don't particularly like it, but it is far from horrific as many people have been describing it. Still on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to get one though.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the video: http://deadspin.com/5907335/jozy-altidore-knocked-unconscious-suffers-back-injury-in-scary-sideline-crash?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Looks much worse than it actually was. Apparently, he only has a bruised back and according to his Twitter, he will be able to play over the weekend if called upon.

USA - Brazil Friendly Scheduled For May 30th @ FedEX Field

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/494271/thumbs/r-USA-BRAZIL-FRIENDLY-large570.jpg

CHICAGO (AP) — The United States' exhibition soccer game against Brazil will be played May 30 at Landover, MD. The game was announced Jan. 12 as part of Brazil's three-game U.S. trip, with the site and date set Thursday by the U.S. Soccer Federation.

Brazil, a five-time U.S. champion, will be playing the Americans for the fourth time in four years. Brazil has won all three in that span — twice at the 2009 Confederations Cup in South Africa and a 2-0 exhibition win at East Rutherford, N.J., in August 2010.

Before World Cup qualifying begins, the Americans play at Italy on Feb. 29th, then plan to host Scotland on May 26th. They play at Canada on June 3rd before opening qualifying at home against Antigua and Barbuda on June 8th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/us-brazil-friendly-may-30_n_1265546.html

Cobb, you following Robbie Findley's season with Nottingham Forest?

No, the only USMNT players I follow overseas are Tim Howard (Everton), Jozy Altidore (AZ), and Clint Dempsey (Fulham),

U.S. vs. Guatemala to be PPV

NEW YORK -- The United States' World Cup qualifier at Guatemala on June 12 will be shown on pay-per-view over the objection of the U.S. Soccer Federation.

Traffic Sports USA purchased the rights from the Federacion Nacional de Futbol de Guatemala and announced an agreement Friday with Integrated Sports Media to distribute the match in the U.S.

It will have a suggested retail price of $29.95 and will be available on DIRECTV, DISH Network and Avail-TVN and iN Demand -- which is available on systems of Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Comcast, Charter, Frontier and COX.

FIFA gives home teams rights to World Cup qualifiers. The Americans' home qualifiers against Antigua and Barbuda on June 8 and Jamaica on Sept. 11 will be televised by ESPN2.

"The pay-per-view route is definitely not our preference," USSF spokesman Neil Buethe said.

Laughable. Sure hope no one wastes their $30. I wouldn't even considering paying $30 unless it was against Spain.

• 2 weeks later...