DeRozan Growing Confident in Three Point Shooting

NP: Where have you seen a noticeable improvement in yourself?

DD: My three-point shooting has been a lot better. I’m more comfortable with it. I’m a lot stronger and a lot more confident. That’s one aspect I definitely feel comfortable with now.

NP: It was sort of a last resort last year, maybe at end-of-shot-clock situations. You feel like it will be part of your game now?

DD: Definitely. I’m pretty sure I’ll be shooting a lot more threes, catch-and-shoot off the dribble, spotting up, all different type of shots. I feel confident with it.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/10/14/raptors-derozan-pleads-for-patience-from-fans/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Obviously I can't comment much on the actual improvements that he has made in his three point shooting, but if this is true I am very excited about seeing him play again, whenever that may be. If he can consistently knock down long range jumpers to the point where opposing defenses have to come out and challenege him, it is going to do wonders for his game. Defenses currently sag so far off of him that it is difficult for him to get to the rim on a consistent basis and it results in him settling for mid range jumpers quite a bit, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since he is a very good mid range shooter. Still, if defenses are forced to guard him out there it will open up so many dribble drive opportunities for him.

If his confidence is warranted and he can become a threat from deep, I don't see any reason why he can't average 20+ next season.

With that said, I hope he doesn't become trigger happy from deep. The best aspect of his game is, and will always be, his ability to attack the paint and his mid range game. Having the ability to hit threes is great, but if it comes at the expense of other stronger parts of your game, I'd rather him not be able to his threes. When Carter developed a great outside shot he became way too complacent on offense and with his ability to attack the rim, it hurt his overall game. I hope that nothing like that will happen to DeRozan, should he ever develop a good/great outside shot.

Edited by The Great BFT