Is Trevor Ariza a legitimate third scoring option?

• Owner

Last season, Ariza attempted 10+ FGA a night, shot below 40%, third scoring option on the Hornets (behind West and Paul).

The previous season, with Houston, he attempted 14 FGA a game, shot under 40%, third scoring option behind Brooks and Martin.

Before that, he was a key player on the 2009 Lakers championship team, shooting around 46% and just seven shots a night...which was behind Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Drew, and even Fisher.

Is Trevor a legitimate third scoring option, or should he be limited to under ten shots a night?

Last season, Ariza attempted 10+ FGA a night, shot below 40%, third scoring option on the Hornets (behind West and Paul).

The previous season, with Houston, he attempted 14 FGA a game, shot under 40%, third scoring option behind Brooks and Martin.

Before that, he was a key player on the 2009 Lakers championship team, shooting around 46% and just seven shots a night...which was behind Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Drew, and even Fisher.

Is Trevor a legitimate third scoring option, or should he be limited to under ten shots a night?

Yes, sir. Trev is, without any doubts, a legit third scoring option, and, IMHO, could even turn into a potential second scoring option if given the opportunity.

Edited by Shãłïq

I don't believe he's a legit third option. If he was the Hornets would be a better team than they are now. They have 2 solid pieces in West and Paul and a defensive C and SG's that can hit 3, Ariza is the only thing holding them back from being a contender and it's because he's not a 3rd option. He's a 4th or 5th option or even best used like the Lakers used him, and that's as an energy player off the bench who can come in give a spark and play good defense.

• Owner

Ariza did a lot of spot-up shooting for us, and of course, he was open all the time. It's no wonder his percentages were higher in LA than in Houston or New Orleans. The more defensive attention (due to the larger role), the more he struggles.

He's just not a guy that can create for others, and really, while he's fairly athletic, he's not LeBron...so asking him to get to the rim against decent to exceptional defensive teams is probably expecting far too much out of him.

I don't believe he's a legit third option. If he was the Hornets would be a better team than they are now. They have 2 solid pieces in West and Paul and a defensive C and SG's that can hit 3, Ariza is the only thing holding them back from being a contender and it's because he's not a 3rd option. He's a 4th or 5th option or even best used like the Lakers used him, and that's as an energy player off the bench who can come in give a spark and play good defense.

West being a sub-par 2nd option does them no favours either.

• Owner

I'd actually consider Carl Landry the more valuable player. For what West provides on the offensive end (which is above average production), he gives up just as much (if not more) on the defensive end of the court.

I agree but I think the Mavs proved as long as you have strong options behind a sub-par 2nd option and well your first option is a top 5 player in the NBA, you can get it done.

I'd actually consider Carl Landry the more valuable player. For what West provides on the offensive end (which is above average production), he gives up just as much (if not more) on the defensive end of the court.

Interesting opinion. If we combine the talents of Landry and West do we get a complete 2nd option? lol

Edited by fish7718

Not even close. I don't even know if I would consider him a legitimate 4th option.

He is best suited to spot up shooting, finishing on the break and playing defense. When he is forced to create any offense for himself he is as inefficient as they come.

If a guy has a TS% of 48.75% over the past two seasons when he was relied upon to be a 3rd option, he clearly isn't fit for that role.

Edited by The Great BFT

• Owner

Interesting opinion. If we combine the talents of Landry and West do we get a complete 2nd option? lol

You'd probably get a pretty damn good player, haha. If West actually hustled more, and played defense, he'd be a top PF in the league.

Not at all. Ariza is nothing more than role player who flat out cant be a top three scoring option. He had sucess in LA due to the overall stackage of the squad. We all clearly saw it in Houston and we all are clearly seeing it in New Orleans. Letting him put up over 10 shot per game is a mistake unless they are all layups of wide open jumpers. He should be nothing more than a defensive lockdown guy which he can be and nothing higher than a fourth option on the offensive end.

And on a side note West is a copy of Scola. What they give you on one end they take back on the other lol