Colangelo: Raptors to be Cautious in Free Agency; Won't Rush Rebuild

Assuming there is one this year, that is.

ekoreen Eric Koreen

BC also indicated Raptors would be very cautious in spending money in hypothetical FA, which fans should be thankful for, because duh.

http://twitter.com/#!/ekoreen/status/129613772053688322

This is good news for me. One of my biggest concerns prior to the lockout was Colangelo going out and overpaying for a veteran center, like a Tyson Chandler or a Nene so that he can move Bargnani to power forward. Not only would this add a couple of wins to the Raps record, which would likely eliminate them from contention for a top 3 pick, but ti would also create a huge log jam at the bigs next season once Valanciunas comes over. I could forsee a move in which either Ed Davis or Amir Johnson would be dealt, both of which would be awful in my opinion as I like both of these guys heading forward.

Anyways, I'm more than happy going into next season with a lineup of:

C: Bargnani

PF: Davis

SF: Johnson

SG: DeRozan

PG: Bayless (Calderon will likely start, though)

with Amir, Alabi, Calderon, Barbosa off of the bench.

It would be a long season, but if it resulted in the Raptors coming out of the draft with somebody like Harrison Barnes or Andre Drummond, it would be well worth it.

Of course, who really knows with Colangelo. He can say something like this and then turn around and sign Tyson Chandler to a 4 year, $45M contract and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

EDIT: Some more stuff from Wolstat:

WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat

Colangelo made it clear this won't be a rush job. Won't kill flexibility that has been built since Bosh left to speed it up. #raptors

WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat

Translation: this FA class stinks they aren't getting Tyson or Nene, so why rush rebuild that still needs 2012 stud and JV to arrive?

Edited by The Great BFT

He is on Prime Tim eSports right now and he just touched upon this topic.

He says that the only way he will go out and spend substantial money this season is if it makes sense in terms of the rebuild, or as he called it, "The Organic Growth". He says that it is critical for the future of the team to stick to the "strategic plan" and not make any quick fix.

He did mention about how he still has to spend some money this summer to fill out the roster but basically said to look forward to next year as the year where a big splash is more likely with Valanciunas and the 2012 pick coming over and the large cap flexibility.

I genuinely believe that he is looking to 2012-13 to make any major moves and is very content to just ride this upcoming season (again, assuming there is one) to a top pick in the draft.

This is great news. I agree he will wait until Jonas is coming over before making any big moves. I also think he will spend that time listening to offers for Andrea (or at least I hope). There is no point rushing things at this point, and I am glad BC recognizes this as well.

I agree with Ryan Wolstat, this FA class sucks for rebuilding teams like Toronto. There's no one they can get that makes them into contenders, or are there any players available that they can realistically get that'll be a key piece for the future.

I think they should sign some young players that could come cheap and still have potential. Guys like Al Thornton or CDR. Otherwise just stay put and use their cap space to make good trades or just wait for a stronger FA class.