Feigan: Rockets will target Nene, if no go then will save for Dwight

Dash

"What I think Morey will do ... First of all he doesn't care about buzz. It's gotta be _build the team_ and he'll do anything, as we know, he'll change over the whole team, if it's the right thing to do, but he won't do it for buzz reasons.

They do want a center, but - and I'm gonna write this in the coming days - I really believe they'll go after the biggest, best names, the ones they want the most, or not at all. In other words they won't give a three or four year contract to Samuel Dalembert, because that's the one they can get.

I think if they don't get what they really want, they put their money in the pocket and try to be the big player next summer, when it's the big free-agency class and the best center is a free agent. I mean the best center in the league is a free agent next summer and you need a center and you need a star and he's both, so I don't think they just spend their allowence, because they have it.

But I do think, they go after Nene, who has star quality. I don't know if he's a true star yet, or ever will be, but he might and he's offensively - he's there.

Physically he's there. He's a really terrific talent. I bet they go that direction.

Tyson Chandler is so much what they would want. I think they'll look into it.

I just don't think they can get Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan, because they're both restricted free agents and everything I've sort of heard is their teams are absolutely committed to matching any offer they get. Now what would be interesting, how all this could change, there'll be an amnesty clause in the new CBA.

[...]

The Rudy Gay one - what I've sort of heard from the Memphis area - they are gonna match anything Marc Gasol gets. They're gonna have all those salaries - 'let's see how good we can be' and if they fall short of what they think they ought to be, that's when they might amnesty.

The Rockets get screwed in the this. A team like the Rockets where you don't have some long, stupid contract to get rid of...

The teams that were stupid and put us in this mess, they get a 'out-of-jail-free-card' and we don't get anything?

So what you would do, lets say you get three years to use the amnesty clause. So maybe (the Rockets might use it) then later.

Then you got the other questions - do you then keep Thabeet for an extra year? And if doesn't work out, you can amnesty him next year or you can amnesty him if you sign a center this year or next.

So there's all those kind of things - once we see the real deal - that would then answer questions about what they do in the rushed free-agency period.

But it's my opinion that they will not just go for whatever center they can get and give him a long term deal... Give Kyrolo Fesenko a long term deal, because he's the best center you can get? I just don't see them doing that. Or Sam Dalembert. See, I like Fesenko - and at the right price, sure, bring him in, but they don't wanna do anything that would interfere - any short term 'we need a center now move', that would interfere with next summer. Either get the center you want or get a center who doesn't interfere with getting the one you want next time."

http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/jonathanfeigen-102711.mp3

So its beginning to sound like Nene is the only logical target for the Rockets in free agency, and I could definitely see him leaving Denver especially considering 2 of their top players are stuck in China. Houston with Nene up front instantly gets them to the playoffs (and Morey completes his Detroit Pistons model) and unless Nene wants to sign for the MLE, Houston is the best team with cap space that he can sign with (also New Jersey). However, if Nene wants a fat check then the Rockets aren't his ideal destination unless they amnesty Hasheem Thabeet, which would be a waste since he expires soon.

Also good to hear the Rockets management won't throw cash at the first center that wants to sign here, and do have their sights on the 2012 free agency class.

Well I'm glad to hear the Rockets won't be desperate enough to sign a below average big man to a long term deal myself. And getting Nene would be great for us, though I would perfer DeAndre Jordan because he's younger and has more upside and potential not to mention he's from Houston but if we can get Nene like you said Dash we could be a potential 7th or 8th seed in the West. He would bring more offensive to our already explosive offense and give us the big men down low defensively that we desperately needed last season.

Edited by htownborn

Well I'm glad too hear the Rockets won't be desperate enough to sign a below averge big man to a long term deal myself. And getting Nene would be great for us, though I would perfer DeAndre Jordan because he's younger and has more upside and potential not to mention he's from Houston but if we can get Nene like you siad Dash we could be a potential 7th or 8th seed in the West. He Would bring more offensive to our already explosive offense and give us the big men down low defensively that we desperately needed last season.

Exactly. Nene is third on my list behind Gasol and Jordan so he would be a bad signing at all.

Well I'm glad too hear the Rockets won't be desperate enough to sign a below averge big man to a long term deal myself. And getting Nene would be great for us, though I would perfer DeAndre Jordan because he's younger and has more upside and potential not to mention he's from Houston but if we can get Nene like you siad Dash we could be a potential 7th or 8th seed in the West. He Would bring more offensive to our already explosive offense and give us the big men down low defensively that we desperately needed last season.

I'd say we would be a 5th or 6th seed with Nene.

Edited by Dash