Will the Threat of Baron Davis Signing with the Heat Prevent the Cavs from Cutting him?

Most likely amnesty cut: Baron Davis

How likely to use amnesty this season? Slam dunk

Other amnesty candidates: Antawn Jamison

Analysis: The Cavs dumping Davis is widely regarded as one of the inevitabilities of the second amnesty wave in NBA history. Especially since the Cavs landed Kyrie Irving with the No. 1 overall pick in June and still have Ramon Sessions on the roster.

Yet sources close to the situation insist that this decision isn't as automatic as some would make it out to be. The Cavs are known to not value cap space as much as trade assets. They've also been on a mission to acquire future draft picks since the departure of LeBron James. There's also one more issue: If the Cavs were to burn their amnesty card on Davis, sources say LeBron's Heat would become an instant suitor and serious threat to sign Baron ... which would be painful beyond words for Cavs owner Dan Gilbert to stomach.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7147880/nba-most-likely-amnesty-candidates

As stupid as this sounds, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Gilbert pull such a stubborn move just to continue to try and screw with LeBron. He has shown in the past that he is very bitter.

However, at the end of the day it makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint to hold onto Davis so I'm sure Gilbert would cut Davis as soon as the new clause is implemented.

Jamison doesn't make any sense at all since his deal is up at the end of the year and there is just no legitimate reasoning to keep Davis over him.

Davis had a solid season after the trade to Cleveland, his attitude was shockingly better and acted as a leader for the Cavs. He also improved his three point shooting which is great to hear if he heads off to Miami.

However, I would not even consider signing Baron if I'm Miami. Chalmers was coming into his own near the end of the finals, he's still young, and knows his role on the team. Not to mention they just drafted Norris Cole who is great at creating for himself and plays good defense.

lol imagine? This is like a dream scenerio for Gilbert IMO, you made the trade to bring Baron so you'd be saddle with his contract, now you can just get rid of it, I don't see how he passes up on it, Heat or no Heat.

This. Especially now with Kyrie in the mix. Its time to put his ego aside and make the right move for his franchise. If I'm the Heat, I'm scooping up Baron and have Rio provide us some scoring off the bench. He's always been more comfortable in that role.