Miller's Injury Concerns Could Spell the End for him in South Beach

Built Ford Tough

Most likely amnesty cut: Mike Miller

How likely to use amnesty this season? Jump ball

Other amnesty candidates: Eddie House

Analysis: The Heat are headed for a t-o-u-g-h decision on Miller. Under normal circumstances, there's no way Heat owner Micky Arison would green-light the release of a player who's owed $24 million over the next four seasons. But Arison's Heat, facing those championship-or-bust expectations after their Finals flameout in June, live in a different world than most other franchises. With Miami bound for luxury-tax territory next season and perhaps even this season, and a more onerous tax system coming in, Arison and Pat Riley will have to take a hard look at letting Miller go.

Over the next three seasons that their three cornerstones are under contract, carving out the financial flexibility to be able to use the midlevel exception is vital to the Heat, who have traded away most of their draft picks and don't have many other trade assets. Without a long-term answer at point guard or center and with perhaps the thinnest bench in the league, using the midlevel might be the only way to address any of those needs unless former All-Stars such as Vince Carter or Grant Hill are willing to sign for bargain-basement prices.

The Heat are fond of Miller and would prefer to wait at least a year before deciding whether to use amnesty on him. It remains to be seen if Miller's three surgeries (both thumbs, then his left shoulder) since signing with them emerge as a factor that works against him.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7147880/nba-most-likely-amnesty-candidates

If he is healthy and you can count on him staying healthy, there is absolutely no way that I would use the amnesty cut on Miller as I said it before and I'll say it again, his skillset is a near perfect compliment to James, Wade and Bosh.

However, he has had troubles staying healthy throughout his career and with such limited assets at their disposal, the Heat may not be able to afford to have Miller miss 20 games every season and bounce in and out of the lineup. Cutting him and clearing up his cap hit may be the only way that they will be able to round out their roster and surround the big three with the necessary supporting cast to win it all.

It is, in my opinion, one of the more interesting dilemmas when talking about a team using an amnesty clause.

as I said it before and I'll say it again, his skillset is a near perfect compliment to James, Wade and Bosh.

When he isn't afraid to shoot, then yeah. But more often than not he passes down open opportunities, and besides his rebounding he didn't provide too much to the team last season.

If cutting Miller means getting Chandler, Dalembert or Nene via FA, then they have to pull the trigger.

Miller is a very odd man, he has the ability to drop 20 when he wants (maybe not now due to all the injuries he's faced), but he's just too passive. Even in Washington, he was one of our main weapons on offense, but failed to produce because he wanted to pass, and more often than not, it would lead to a missed opportunity.

When he isn't afraid to shoot, then yeah. But more often than not he passes down open opportunities, and besides his rebounding he didn't provide too much to the team last season.

If cutting Miller means getting Chandler, Dalembert or Nene via FA, then they have to pull the trigger.

I think his injuries were a huge factor in his passiveness, though. His thumb injuries really messed with his ability to hit jumpers or create anything for himself and because of his poor play, it really seemed to mess with his confidence. Miller has shown in the past that he is much better than he showed last season.

A confident and healthy Miller doesn't pass up open jumpers or second guess himself on the floor.

As for the 2nd point, well, yeah, if you have a choice between Chandler or Nene and Miller, obviously you take the two bigs. They are both better players than him and fill a more pressing need. However, I highly doubt that the Heat are able to nab one of them for the MLE considering Nene seems to want a big pay day and I highly doubt that Cuban would let Chandler go to Miami, even if it meant overpaying him.

If cutting Miller opened up more space than the MLE, then I would seriously consider it. I'm not exactly sure of their cap situation, but I figured that they wouldn't be able to use anything more than the MLE even if they let go of Miller.

Me thinks this might set up Jamal Crawford. Him and LeBron tweeting back n forth was pretty weird. Either way, we're going to get some good veteran talent. Guys like VC will want to play on a team like this even if they're coming off the bench. I think now with a fully healthy UD the front court will be a bit better but we need to add another quality body in there who can score just a little bit and rebound effectively.

Edited by Flash

I don't think this is an either or situation. Either we keep Miller or we cut him and get cap space.

Either way, Miami is out of cap space and stuck just with their MLE. So that eliminates guys like Chandler, Nene, and Crawford.

I wouldn't cut Miller unless I feel he's damaged good and basically just wasting a roster spot (ahem, Luke Walton). Arison isn't afraid to spend money. I'm sure he'll shell out the cash to try to get a big. Dalambert or Przybilla for MLE or cheaper alternatives like Kwame Brown or Aaron Gray.