With Duncan's Window Closing, Jefferson get a Third Chance in San Antonio

Most likely amnesty cut: Richard Jefferson

How likely to use amnesty this season? Jump ball

Other amnesty candidates: None

Analysis: The Spurs, as ESPN.com reported Friday, are leading the push for an amnesty clause that can be "pocketed" for later use. Which helps explain the loud rumblings in circulation about the Spurs hoping that they can avoid casting Jefferson aside in spite of the $9.3 million, $10.2 million and $11 million that RJ's scheduled to earn over the next three seasons.

It makes sense that the Spurs want to keep fielding the strongest team possible before Tim Duncan's window shuts for real, but their hand could well be forced. If the new luxury-tax scale in the next labor deal is super punitive, keeping Jefferson is to going to be financially crippling for a team with a payroll that would still be above $65 million in 2011-12 without him.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7147880/nba-most-likely-amnesty-candidates

It really comes down to the luxury tax for San Antonio if you ask me. The Spurs aren't going to keep him around at that price tag if it puts them deep into the luxury tax, especially if he continues the lack of production he has given them since joining the team.

However, if the luxury tax is more forgiving than anticipated, I'd be surprised if the Spurs let him go as they will undoubtedly want to make at least another push with Duncan. Even with his struggles in a Spurs uniform, they don't have many alternatives at the small forward position and will just have to hope that he can give them enough to help Duncan get his 5th ring.

• 1 month later...

Jefferson shot .474 from the field and .440 from 3 last year. You won't find a better SF than Jefferson at a better price.

I could be a better fit at SF than RJ has for SA. Those numbers are a far cry from what he actually did for this team, which was disappear in the playoffs. Kawai Leonard should get the majority of minutes at the 3. There are also rumors that the Spurs are looking at other SFs such as Caron Butler and Josh Howard. That can mean a few things... 1) RJ will be amnestied, 2) Spurs are looking to trade RJ 3) Leonard is hurt or they don't think he's ready. I'm leaning more towards the Spurs are trying to trade RJ.

It's now official: there is something cooking with RJ.

It's either a trade or the amnesty rule and, to me, the amnesty rule makes little sense. Basketball wise, swapping RJ by Butler is quite a lateral move. Financially wise, amnestying RJ and signing Butler will likely be more expensive than just keeping RJ.

My guess is that Spurs have a trade offer on the table they like. RJ will be gone in this trade and Spurs will get a bigman in return.

Trying to find a team that has a hole at SF and a extra big isn't very long. My guess would be......

GS-Biedrins

Atlanta- Josh Smith

Utah- Milsap or Al Jefferson

LAC- Kaman

If the Spurs can get one of these guys and dump RJ without trading one of Parker,Manu,Tim, Leonard, and Splitter ill be ecstatic!!!!!!

Problem is the only one who makes even a lick of sense is Andris Biedrins, and even that is a long shot since they have Dorell Wright at the 3, who is cheaper and probably better than Jefferson at this point in his career.

The Clippers aren't going to deal Kaman and his expiring so that they can vastly overpay for Jefferson, especially when you have small forward free agents like Tayshaun Prince, Caron Butler and Josh Howard have all shown interset in the Clipps (and vice versa). Even if they miss out on one of the bigger names, there are still guys like Mike Dunleavy, Andrei Kirilenko (if they can pry him out of Russia), Al Thornton, etc.. who would be better options, given the price tag.

Atlanta simply isn't trading Josh Smith for anything the Spurs can (perhaps will is more appropriate) offer. Even if they were looking to trade him, you know for a fact some other team would be able to beat out the Spurs offer, since the market for him would be high, especially with the more leniant trade rules in the new CBA.

Utah is shopping Millsap and Jefferson, but again, I'd be shocked if somebody else didn't make a better offer than the Spurs. I also see no reason why the Jazz would be interested in Jefferson considering his age, contract and production given their rebuilding situation.

I just don't see a situation in which a team willingly trades for Jefferson and his $39M/4 yr contract unless the Spurs are taking an equally awful contract back, or are adding a lot to the offer.