Bigger threat for contending?

AboveLegit

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I separated this in two polls because of their situations. Lakers and Celtics are both proven winners, but I think most will agree that they are aging (both suffered brutal second round exits in the playoffs). I believe the Lakers will suffer the most in this 66 game season because of the coaching change taking place. A shortened training camp will hurt them a lot, but on the bright side, I have heard on Sportscenter that Kobe has looked great and is fully healthy. As for the Celtics, a lot of their issues need to be addressed in FA, they need to get younger and more athletic, but this extended offseason may have helped the big three regain their form.

Bulls and Thunder are the two up and coming teams in the league, each built on a superstar surrounded by a lot of talent. The question now is if they can add a piece or two in order to become true contenders. Bulls need to add a SG capable of playing alongside Rose that can create for himself. We saw in the playoffs how much it hurt the Bulls when Rose was the only one creating for himself. This team is in an interesting position, they clearly overachieved last year winning 62 games, and while we continue to believe this is a young team like the Thunder who have 4 core players under the age of 23, they have two players under the age of 25 currently. This is not a team that can wait while it finds it's true identity and establishes team chemistry, they are in win now mode. They cannot afford to simply sign an average shooting guard, they need to find an X factor that can carry the load when Rose struggles.

As for the Thunder, maybe they don't need to add anyone to the team. Maybe it's just about their young players developing and rectifying what went wrong in the playoffs last season. Last season we saw a lot of lapses in the third quarter where the offense was completely stagnant as the players simply watched Durant and Westbrook score. It would be nice if Harden fills that void and becomes the dynamic scorer he was sought out as being when he was drafted. Maybe adding a perimeter defender would help as well, it seems like quick guards give this defense the most fits such as JJ Barea or even Ty Lawson. Thabo is a good defender, but he cannot keep up with those guards.

I heard that Afflalo were interested in joining the Bulls, which will no doubt make them a more legitimate contender. As for the Thunder, they can use another scorer, but that's about it.

I would say the Celtics have a better chance at contending because they have a chance to revamp their roster. The Lakers are pretty much stuck with who they have as I don't think they will get Baron or Lewis or whoever the other teams amnesty.

For the first IDK thats a tough one I want to say Chicago but I feel their a couple of years away from possibly making it to the Finals with or without a SG. Plus they still have to worry about a very hungry Miami Heat team and Boston Celtics team who I'm sure is seeking redemption from their early exit last year. As for OKC I think they have the peices they just need more time to develope and with teams like San Antonio, Dallas, and the Lakers getting older their chances of taking the West is getting closer. It's still hard for me to say but I'll say OKC because their odds look better than the Bulls for the next couple of years.

As for Boston and LA I have to go with LA. Both teams are getting older and have had their injuries but I think a healthy Laker team can outdo a healthy Celtics team. Plus the Lakers are still arguably the best team in the West despite being swept in the Semi-Finals last year. If Kobe and Bynum are 100% this year and Artest or Metta World Peace can get his head out of his ass and stop acting so hollywood we can see a much hungry team this year then what we saw last year.

I went with the Lakers and Bulls.

I'm not sold on the Thunder just yet, they have an MVP caliber player, but I question Westbrook's decision making and his defense. I think the Perkins trade was great for them in hindsight, but looking back, Perk really is a system player that simply perfected his role in Boston. He fit in with Doc's schemes, he knew exactly where to be on the floor (from setting screens to rebounding), while in OKC, he was completely lost, and honestly, I don't expect much out of him this season despite being more comfortable with the team. Chicago is exactly one piece from winning it all, their method of building this team into a contender is genius. Boozer can only go up from here, and it helps having a great backup in Gibson. Rose is an elite talent with the ability to close out games, Deng is their spot up shooter, I'm really hoping they can land a guy like Jamal Crawford.

I think this lockout benefited Kobe more than any other guy in the league, which is why I'm picking LA over Boston. After the playoffs, everyone talked about how tired he was from their previous playoff runs. Now he's coming off an early playoff exit, an extended off season, and a surgery. While Boston's stars have also benefited from this lockout, they still don't have the talent LA has. The center position is a huge question mark, you cannot expect Garnett to anchor the middle much longer, and their bench is below average. Ainge really needs to work his magic in this shortened FA period before anyone can take them seriously.

For the first 1 I believe the Thunder are a clear better choice than the Bulls. I feel the Thunder just have a overall more talented 5 than the Bulls. Not only that but the Thunder have guys who have identities and have been together longer. They are a young team growing. They have clear cut 1-2-3 options. They have 2 bigs that know their role. They have guys who come off the bench and move the ball around effectively, play good D and keep the team in it. Most importantly the Thunder have Kevin Durant, the Bulls have Derrick Rose. As much as I love Rose I feel like point guards almost never dominate the playoffs, the games get chippier, the lanes fill up faster, the defenses adjust quicker. It just because becomes much more difficult for the smaller guys to score. I think the elite scorers in the league, the Durants, LeBrons, Kobes, Wades, Dirks, Melos :) accel in that type of environment. Rose proved he was not elite last year, that or he just ran out of gas. Aside from all that it's tough to score while making plays for your teammates as well. It's asking a guy to be selfish but not overly selfish, a thin line players have to walk. Meanwhile if you are Melo Durant Kobe you get the ball and you can say screw my teammates this is my possession.

The second 1, I'm just going to say the Lakers simply because I believe the Celtics can't survive this tough schedule and get past the Heat Knicks and Bulls. The Lakers always have a shot because they have Kobe.