Bulls pushing for Boozer-Scola trade?

Dash

The Chicago Bulls are quietly preparing field for blockbuster trade with Houston Rockets. The Bulls are desperately searching for more effective player than Carlos Boozer.

Luis Scola doesn’t have the same offensive upside as Boozer does, the Bulls have other members of the team to score, and Scola is a more productive rebounder and finisher around the rim than Boozer showed at any point during his inaugural season with the Bulls.

Are Houston Rockets willing to give up on their best player last season in order to make some changes and step forward in Western conference?

http://www.basknet.info/2011/11/27/bulls-pushing-for-boozer-scola-trade/

http://sportas.delfi.lt/basketball/bulls-svarsto-galimybe-cboozeri-ismainyti-i-lscola.d?id=52242529

http://www.lrytas.lt/-13224610171321312016-chicago-bulls-panoro-c-boozer%C4%AF-keisti-%C4%AF-l-scola-i%C5%A1-houston-rockets.htm

My first thoughts when I saw this was "hell no" and "bullshit" but after pondering it over for a while, I think it might make some sense. I've said it before, the Rockets have absolutely no use for the amnesty provision because there just isn't anyone on the roster worth cutting nor does anyone have that bad of a contract. So what if the Rockets are using their amnesty provision as an asset? Boozer's value is at an all-time low and Luis Scola has proven to be a more productive player at a more reasonable contract, so the Rockets could try to squeeze an asset or two out of the Bulls to make the deal happen and then follow it up by cutting Boozer. Two things that come to mind are Omer Asik, who has been linked to Houston during the trade deadline and draft night, and the Bobcats' 2012 first round pick.

The issue with this trade would be whether or not the Rockets will be allowed to amnesty cut Boozer since they would be acquiring after the new CBA deal was signed, and from what BFT said in another thread it isn't likely that this will be allowed. However, this is the only way I could see Houston even consider trading for Boozer.

Thoughts?

Edited by Dash

• Owner

Is Scola really better than Boozer? I'd take Carlos for his rebounding, and while neither play defense, Boozer seems to contest more than flop, and I'd much rather have that.

If it's all about contract lengths, that's different...but I think Chicago is ready to win now, and I don't see why they would downgrade for the sake of money, unless they were trying to get under the cap to sign a borderline all-star SG.

Is Scola really better than Boozer? I'd take Carlos for his rebounding, and while neither play defense, Boozer seems to contest more than flop, and I'd much rather have that.

If it's all about contract lengths, that's different...but I think Chicago is ready to win now, and I don't see why they would downgrade for the sake of money, unless they were trying to get under the cap to sign a borderline all-star SG.

I think its a combination of both, Boozer isn't looking so hot after a disappointing performance in the playoffs and Scola gets paid significantly less and the last year of his deal is partially guaranteed to boot. Still the Bulls are going to have to add a piece or two if they want to entice Houston and is that really the right move to make when you're trying to compete for a championship?

• Owner

I think its a combination of both, Boozer isn't looking so hot after a disappointing performance in the playoffs and Scola gets paid significantly less and the last year of his deal is partially guaranteed to boot. Still the Bulls are going to have to add a piece or two if they want to entice Houston and is that really the right move to make when you're trying to compete for a championship?

Well, here's how I'm looking at things: Chicago made it clear that they think Gibson COULD be a starter. He is a far better defensive player than Booz and Scola, combined (sad), and he's also very energetic and athletic.

So, I don't know why Chicago would seek someone like Scola, who is also a starting forward. It would make more sense for them to make a deal to bring in a good two-guard, and possibly find a backup PF in the free agency pool OR as an addition in the trade.

Thibodeau just doesn't seem like the guy that would want Scola. I doubt he wants Boozer. Based on how he operated in Boston, he should be looking to turn the Bulls into a defensive juggernaut, rather than adding players that will slip away from that.

So Howard Beck confirmed yesterday that you can't amnesty cut a player you traded for, makes this deal a lot worse for Houston but I can still see them going through with this if they can get back the Bobcats pick, and in return ship Chicago one of our forwards (Budinger?) along with Scola. Despite contracts, on paper Boozer/Martin is a more attractive supporting cast than Martin/Scola if Houston is looking to entice Dwight Howard, who is apparently best friends with Carlos Boozer and Courtney Lee, and the Rockets can use the Bobcats pick as a safety blanket although we probably won't get it for the next 2-3 years.

The move could work I think. Boozer when hot is a better player then Scola. Scola is the more consistant of the two so pick your poison. Boozer is being judged for one bad year after beeing a pretty good player before that. I think this will be a multiple player deal sending Scola and either Courtney Lee, who rumors also say the Bulls are interested in, Chase Budinger, or Terrence Williams in return the Rockets would get Carlos Boozer who I use to enjoy watching and either C Omir Asik, Taj Gibson, or Jimmy Butler. I ready for Houston to Rock the Boat so.......

• Owner

Taj Gibson is staying in Chicago, and Thibs likes Asik quite a bit. Watson, Bogans, Brewer...those guys would be dealt before Gibson, especially if Chicago can bring in Lee and find a cheap PG in free agency.