Sam Amick: Celtics are offering Rajon Rondo for Chris Paul

Dash

Ainge, the sources say, has recently discussed trading Rondo in a deal that nets Paul, but the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo -- who has four years worth approximately $46 million left on his contract -- and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been on the prowl for a third team that could provide the sort of young pieces Hornets general manager Dell Demps would covet as part of his possible rebuilding plan. The more pressing question, of course, is whether Paul, who can become a free agent after this season, would consider signing an extension with Boston.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/11/29/chris.paul.celtics/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

Pretty stupid that there's reports that the league, who own the Hornets, do not want to entertain offers for CP3. There's two outcomes to this, a superstar walks as a FA at the end of the season, or trade for a relatively cheap All Star PG locked up for 4 years and a few young assets.

Makes sense for both teams (and probably the third, should they find one), but doesn't make much sense for Chris Paul. After this year, the Celtics will be on the verge of a complete rebuild, does Chris want to be apart of all that? I don't know if Ainge can pull off another miracle and quickly build around CP3 the way he did with Pierce in 2007. Dwight will be off the market by the trade deadline, I don't see Otis Smith letting him walk at the end of the season.

• Owner

I'm starting to think that the NBA will ruin the Hornets' franchise.

As far as this trade goes, I don't see why Boston makes that risk. Rondo is great. There is no guarantee that CP3 stays. Paul's knees are also a concern.

After last season's playoffs, the Celtics offered Rondo and Jeff Green to Oklahoma City for Russell Westbrook and Kendrick Perkins, sources have told Broussard. The Celtics, looking for another scorer who can create his own offense, thought Westbrook might be available after his erractic postseason play. But Oklahoma was not interested in the deal.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7296934/sources-boston-celtics-deal-rajon-rondo-land-chris-paul

Wow.