Celtics top free agent target is Chuck Hayes?

Dash

Sean Deveney: Celtics are obviously looking for a low-cost, banger to put at center. Top target, I am told: Houston's Chuck Hayes. Would be a good fit.

With all the talk about Marc Gasol, Nene, DeAndre Jordan and Tyson Chandler I felt going in that Chuck wasn't going to garner much attention until those 4 were off the board. If the Celtics can swoop in and snatch Chuck Hayes while all eyes are elsewhere, it would be a great move for them. One thing about Hayes though, he won't be as cheap as everyone seems to think he will be. The Rockets value Hayes a lot and he's coming off his best season yet so the Celtics might have to go a bit higher than $3 million per year (I'm guessing that is about what they were hoping for), but they should definitely go for it. Chuck would be GREAT fit in Boston.

Edited by Dash

• Owner

I'm guessing if Boston needs a center, they may have to settle for a guy like Przybilla or Kwame. I would think Hayes's value is high enough that he gets more than what Boston can offer.

Przybilla is going to be lucky to play 50 more games for the rest of his career, let alone a couple of full seasons. His knee is incredibly bad, and he can barely jump now.

Kwame wouldn't be bad, but they should shoot for Dalembert, maybe just so Miami doesn't pick him up instead. Dally would be better than Brown, obviously...maybe not as cheap, but Boston will be able to afford him, unless some desperate team comes in and throws a big amount at him.

Przybilla hasn't really been able to jump for a while. His game is based mostly on his size and timing. Even if he is done, he's still better than any center they have...mostly because they have none. He's a low risk acquisition, I don't think anyone will give him more than a minimum offer at this point. Boston doesn't really have many other options.

Dalembert would be ideal but he's doubtful for the mini MLE. (I think Miami could offer a full MLE deal, not sure). Kwame would be the next best candidate (sad). It gets thinner after that. Jeff Foster, Dan Gadzuric, and Aaron Gray are all decent but they're backups. Then you're down to stiffs like Elson, Fesenko, Ely, Magloire, Dampier, Etan Thomas.

Celtics are pretty much screwed.

I love it.

• Owner

And if the rumored trade offer that they made to the Thunder is true, I think they realize that.

(The supposed offer was Rondo and Green for Westbrook and Perkins. The Thunder declined, obviously).

Haha, no doubt. Horrible trade, by the way. Not because of Rondo, of course...he's an excellent PG, and I like him over Westbrook right now (probably not the most popular decision, but I'd take a prime Kidd over a prime Rose any day), but I wouldn't deal Perkins for two Jeff Greens.