Tyson Chandler doesn't expect to resign with Mavericks

Dash

In a surprise development on the first day that NBA teams and agents could start talking about new contracts, Tyson Chandler came away convinced that his time with the Dallas Mavericks is coming to an end.

"I really think I'm going to be on a new team come training camp," Chandler told ESPN.com in a telephone interview Wednesday night. "I'm really taking a hard look at all of my options, trying to see what best suits me."

Chandler's doubts about the Mavericks' willingness to re-sign him to a lucrative long-term deal will be welcome news for organizations throughout the league. Chandler and Denver center Nene rank as the two most coveted unrestricted free agents in the 2011 class, but the overwhelming sentiment in many front offices has been that Chandler's return to Dallas was essentially a done deal after the 7-footer's role in helping the Mavericks win their first championship.

Chandler, though, insisted Wednesday that such assumptions are a misnomer and admitted for the first time that he's disappointed by the club's decision not to offer him a contract extension after he was widely credited -- most notably by Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki -- for changing the team's defensive culture after three first-round exits in the previous four years.

Chandler maintains that staying in Dallas has been his first choice, but he expressed disappointment that the communication between the sides was minimal from the end of the NBA Finals in mid-June and the June 30 deadline for extensions. NBA front office sources list New Jersey, Golden State, Houston and Toronto as the teams chasing Chandler hardest.

The Mavericks have likewise long maintained that bringing Chandler back is their No. 1 offseason priority. But sources with knowledge of club's thinking have told ESPN.com this month that management fears trying to match the offers Chandler gets on the open market -- even if Dallas' other free agents, such as Caron Butler and J.J. Barea are all let go -- will leave them with about $5-6 million in salary-cap space in the summer of 2012.

That's when the Mavericks had hoped to be under the cap for the first time in the Mark Cuban era to join the free agent bidding for Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Dallas-area native Deron Williams.

As one of the league's oldest teams, Dallas needs the injection of youth that a perimeter scorer like Williams could provide. The Mavs' quandary, however, is that the presence of Nowitzki alone on the roster in July 2012 might not be enough to tempt the league's top free agents.

One source close to Williams, for example, says it's unlikely that the New Jersey Nets' point guard would consider signing with the Mavericks unless he was joining both Nowitzki and Chandler. The Mavs' counter is that, with Nowitzki and Chandler on the books, they won't have enough money to sign Williams outright and would be forced to rely on striking a complicated sign-and-trade arrangement.

Chandler, for his part, says he hopes to know where his home will be soon, even though the league announced Tuesday that teams and players can't strike written or verbal agreements before the officially scheduled start of free agency on Dec. 9.

"I would like this to be settled by early next week," Chandler said. "I want to be in camp with my new teammates as soon as possible."

Earlier Wednesday, Cuban told ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan: "We are going through and digesting all the new rules and waiting on others. Once everything is in place we will have a far better idea on what we can and can't do. In the meanwhile, we certainly are going to be talking to everyone's agent."

Chandler, 29, was acquired by the Mavericks in July 2010 in a deal with the Charlotte Bobcats co-headlined by Erick Dampier, but was widely billed as a consolation prize after Dampier's cap-friendly contract failed to get Dallas in the bidding for the league's marquee free agents -- Miami stars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh among them -- through various sign-and-trade offers.

In the final year of his contract, Chandler wound up meshing with Nowitzki better than anyone anticipated, supplying length, athleticism, rim protection and a brand of vocal leadership that no big man who previously lined up alongside the eventual NBA Finals MVP had ever provided in Dallas.

Chandler wound up playing in 74 regular season games -- after missing nearly 70 games over the previous two seasons through injury -- and finished third in the league's Defensive Player of the Year voting. In the Western Conference finals, Chandler helped Dallas to a 4-1 series win over the same Oklahoma City Thunder team that traded for him in February 2009 and then rescinded the trade one day later because of concerns about a toe injury.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7300682/tyson-chandler-dallas-mavericks-says-expects-a-new-team-come-training-camp

And more from Amick:

sam_amick Sam Amick

Chandler clearly expects huge payday. I was told today that the type of $ figures his camp threw out there today were through the roof.

He will sign with whoever offers him the biggest contract. It doesn't matter if it is a contender like Dallas or a lottery team like Toronto.

Taking into consideration he just won a ring last year, is approaching 30 and has had a long injury history, you just know that he is looking for a big pay day. His value will never be higher given how well he played in the playoffs last season and the lack of true centers on the free agent market.

• Like 1

He will sign with whoever offers him the biggest contract. It doesn't matter if it is a contender like Dallas or a lottery team like Toronto.

Taking into consideration he just won a ring last year, is approaching 30 and has had a long injury history, you just know that he is looking for a big pay day. His value will never be higher given how well he played in the playoffs last season and the lack of true centers on the free agent market.

Agreed. I can't see Houston or Golden State standing much of a chance if Chandler is only looking to get paid especially if Toronto or New Jersey overpays.

Why would Toronto go after Chandler? Valanciunas is only a year away from making his debut. Also having a tough time seeing New Jersey going after him seeing as how they have their heart set on Dwight Howard.

Casey absolutely loves him and they want to see Bargnani paired up with a legitimate center.

Also, Valanciunas is going to be coming over next year, but I highly doubt he will be very productive immediately, unless he really bulks up next summer. He has shown plenty of good things this past summer and with Rytas so far, but he isn't NBA ready.

If they sign Chandler it would help insulate Valnciunas and ease some of the pressure. It would also be nice for his development to play behind a player who he is regularly compared to.

Those would be the two big reasons why I can see them going after him.

I highly doubt that they go after him, though. Colangelo has said not to expect any major moves and seems fairly content to go into the season with pretty much the roster he had at the end of the year. He will sign a few free agents to round out the roster, but I doubt it is anything other than end of the bench guys. Colangelo knows that the 2012 draft is critical to the future of this team and I don't see him doing anything stupid to jeoprdize their probably top 5 pick.

I imagine people put those two factors I mentioned above together, and threw Toronto's name into the mix in an attempt to make it appear like another suitor is involved to increase the market for him.

Yeah I understand the idea behind Tyson mentoring Valanciunas, but at the price people are projecting, it doesn't appear to be reasonable. Not to mention I've always figured Toronto to be in the same position as the Wizards, whereas they're trying to build through the draft, and won't bother signing any big FA's till their foundation is set.

Why would Toronto go after Chandler? Valanciunas is only a year away from making his debut. Also having a tough time seeing New Jersey going after him seeing as how they have their heart set on Dwight Howard.

I guess he's their backup plan in case they can't work out a deal for Dwight and they want to make a move to keep Deron Williams happy. With the Nets going after a center, does this mean they intend to shift Lopez to the 4?

That is why it is most likely just an attempt to increase his value.

People know that there is a pretty good fit stylistically with them, so they throw his name out there to create more of a market.

I'm sure if Colangelo could get him on a reasonable 3 year contract he would do it, but since Chandler will be looking for a long term, big money deal, it won't happen.

I'm not sure where he will end up, but I'd be shocked it it was in Toronto.

I guess he's their backup plan in case they can't work out a deal for Dwight and they want to make a move to keep Deron Williams happy. With the Nets going after a center, does this mean they intend to shift Lopez to the 4?

Well if that's the case, Brook would be forced to guard 4's, which would be a disaster.

Well if that's the case, Brook would be forced to guard 4's, which would be a disaster.

Well, he is a disaster when guarding 5's anyways. :lol:

At least this way he would have a legit defensive anchor to cover his ass.

I agree about it not making much sense for the Nets, though. Even if you know you aren't getting Howard, Nene makes a lot more sense than Chandler does.

I doubt that the Nets will go after him. West and Nene are much better options for us. Also like BFT said, he's just looking for the biggest contract which at 30 is going to be hard to find. I wouldn't be surprised if he just ended up staying with the Mavs.

• Owner

This is Golden State's big opportunity, right here. I will be shocked if they don't push as hard as possible for him.

If I was Tyson, though...I'd go find the biggest paycheck, or ask Dallas to sign and trade me. I've got my ring, I worked my ass off for it and was actually a MAJOR contributor for that team (Dallas doesn't win it without a defensive anchor), and now, I'm looking for a nice, fat check.

Raptors aren't interested in Chandler.

Plot thickens @TedMaduri: @timpchisholm BC indicated at season ticketholder event today that there's ~ zero chance they go after Chandler.

This was posted on Tim Chisolm's Twitter account (he is a writer for TSN).

Adds fuel to the fire of my theory that this is just posturing on his agents behalf in an attempt to create a bidding war for him.