Jim Buss drops stance on trading Bynum. Howard would like to be a Laker

Possible three team deal?

• It's no surprise to anyone that the Lakers will be one of the primary suitors in a possible trade for Howard, and a person with knowledge of the team's strategy told CBSSports.com that executive Jim Buss finally has dropped his opposition to trading center Andrew Bynum "for the right deal." That's code for "a deal for Dwight Howard," and it's clear from those familiar with Howard's thinking that he'd like to join the Lakers. Bynum may or may not be on the Magic's list of suitable replacements for Howard in a potential deal that also would have to include young players on rookie contracts and draft picks. The Bucks' Andrew Bogut may be a better fit, a notion that has conjured speculation in the agent community of a three-team deal that would land Bynum in Milwaukee, Bogut in Orlando and Howard in L.A. The Lakers' arena mates at Staples Center, the Clippers, also are believed to be willing to do whatever it takes to get Howard. The Clips have both the cap space to land Howard next summer and plenty of assets to entice Orlando, including Eric Gordon, Al-Farouq Aminu and a signed-and-traded DeAndre Jordan. Cap-space and asset-wise, few teams are in as good a shape as the Clippers over the next two years. If only they could use the amnesty provision on owner Donald Sterling.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/16299009/postups-free-agency-signing-days-away-but-frenzy-exists

I'd be shocked if the Magic accepted the Lakers deal over the Clippers deal (should Sterling extend an offer to them). I don't see the appeal in the Lakers' offer, Bogut or not. If you ship out your MVP caliber franchise player, the obvious move is to begin your rebuild. And what better way to start that rebuild by receiving high picks in a stacked 2012 draft and quality young talent? Lakers have very little to offer, Bynum has a problem with injuries, I'd much rather build around an Anthony Davis.

I'd be shocked if the Magic accepted the Lakers deal over the Clippers deal (should Sterling extend an offer to them). I don't see the appeal in the Lakers' offer, Bogut or not. If you ship out your MVP caliber franchise player, the obvious move is to begin your rebuild. And what better way to start that rebuild by receiving high picks in a stacked 2012 draft and quality young talent? Lakers have very little to offer, Bynum has a problem with injuries, I'd much rather build around an Anthony Davis.

With the Laker deal, they still dump salaries and would be in a nice position in 2013 as far as cap space (if they amnesty Arenas). They also get arguably the 2nd best center in the (when healthy) who can command a double team and anchor defensively, and who at worst is 15/8/2 as a starter. Yeah, it's not a great deal, but Howard could leverage Orlando into taking it since it may be the best they can do.

I agree that LAC's offer can potentially be better, but does Sterling pull a trigger on that deal if he has concerns whether Howard would sign an extention? That's what it'll come down to: who will call Howard's bluff?