ESPN: Raptors Aggressive in Big Man Market

This was in ESPN's updated amnesty column.

Sources say Toronto is trying to be as aggressive as it can be in the big-man market in free agency and has informed the players involved that it intends to lodge serious bids for Nene, Chandler and restricted free agent Marc Gasol. In the unlikely event that releasing a player through amnesty could clinch the signing of one of those players, rest assured that the Raptors will go for it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7300507/nba-updated-amnesty-candidates-every-team

I really hope that this is all just agents creating leverage for their clients, but part of me knows that there is truth to these rumors.

You just get the feeling that Colangelo wants to get a center to compliment Bargnani.

I just hope that Colangelo doesn't do anything stupid and overpay for a 30 year old free agent big man. You would think he would've learned his lesson from the Turkoglu fiasco that giving 30 year olds with question marks around them long term deals is a bad idea. They have done a nice job of creating flexibility but it would all go for waste if it is blown on a player like Chandler or Nene, unless they are coming on a reasonable, 2 year contract, which seems highly unlikely.

Gasol is the only one that I would be alright with, but the Raptors would have to vastly overpay to get him.

Chisholm of TSN posted this on his Twitter:

Plot thickens @TedMaduri: @timpchisholm BC indicated at season ticketholder event today that there's ~ zero chance they go after Chandler.

If they aren't interested in Chandler, it really makes me question if they are interested in any of the big men. If they have no interest in Chandler, I can't see them being interested in Nene at all. Gasol would still make a bit of sense, since he is young enough to grow with this core, but I don't see Memphis letting him go.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein

Toronto was one of those teams that woulda loved to get in Marc Gasol mix. But hearing now Raps prefer to roll cap space into next summer

Hope this is true.