Houston to meet with Chandler and Nene

Dash

Just filed to ESPN: Mavs free agent Tyson Chandler will meet face-to-face this week w/officials from Warriors, Rockets and Nets. Link on way. As negotiations with Mavericks have stalled, Golden State, Houston and New Jersey have emerged as three most serious suitors for Chandler. Rockets and Nets remain in hunt for Denver free agent Nene and are likewise expected to soon make face-to-face pitches to Brazilian as well

https://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine

Edited by Dash

Rockets to meet with Nene today.

Jonathan_Feigen Jonathan Feigen

Rockets GM Daryl Morey and coach Kevin McHale to meet with Nene Monday, 2 persons w knowledge of meeting said. Nene is their top C target.

Fingers crossed.

You guys could be the next Denver with Nene/Chandler. Lacking a star, but great all-around team.

I think we would be a lot better than last year's Denver team.

No details on how the meeting with Nene went but there is an update:

Rockets seeking to meet with free-agent center Chandler

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey and coach Kevin McHale met with Nuggets free agent center Nene in Denver on Monday, but their pursuit of a free agent to fill the void in the middle will not end there. Morey was also working to set up a sit-down with Mavericks center Tyson Chandler, a person with knowledge of their thinking said Monday.

No meeting had been set up, but there are increasing indications that Chandler would not return to Dallas, where he dramatically improved the Mavericks' defense and helped key a championship run. Chandler has also been strongly pursued by the Warriors and Nets.

No agreements can be reached until Friday and the Rockets would have to make salary cap maneuvers to sign either coveted center. They have also reached out to Samuel Dalembert and restricted free agents DeAndre Jordan and Marc Gasol.

Talks with the Rockets' lone free agent, Chuck Hayes, are on hold while Morey works to lure Chandler or Nene, and to create the cap room for them.

"Obviously, they're in Denver talking with Nene," Hayes' agent, Calvin Andrews, said. "They made it clear they need to do that before they can circle back to Chuck. We're in a holding pattern. There's a lot of strong interest in Chuck. We'll see how things play out. I think things will move pretty fast. It's in the Rockets' hands now."

While they juggle free-agent centers, Kyle Lowry, Hayes' co-captain in the final months last season, made a strong appeal to bring Hayes back.

"I want him back here," Lowry said. "If he doesn't come back, it would be very upsetting for me, our fans and my teammates. I really want him back. I know everyone else wants him back. I think he's an important piece to our team. He's an important piece to any team. Hopefully, our upstairs management shows the value that he brought."

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-seeking-to-meet-with-free-agent-center-2346878.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The only way the Rockets could free up more cap space would be through trade and/or amnesty cutting Hasheem Thabeet.