Raptors 2011-2012 Tanking/Draft Anticipation

PLEASE BE MYCK KABONGO, PLEASE BE MYCK KABONGO. I absolutely love the kid. About 50% of it is me being a homer for Canadians, even if he was born in Congo, and I also just love his attitude. I think he's got the attitude to just continue working on his game and improve his game. He has also been not playing his best as of late, so if he could slide down the draft board, we might be able to get him with a 20th pick or so.

Man, that Boston win is really bugging me right now after how things have played out in the last few days.

If they would've lost that one like they were expected to, they would be sitting really pretty right now with teams like Washington, Detroit and New Orleans getting some unexpected wins.

As of right now, Toronto is 6th. They are 5 games back of Charlotte, 3 of New Orleans, 1.5 of Washington, 1 of Detroit and 0.5 of New Jersey.

Had they lost that game against Boston, they would be tied with Detroit for 4th worst and just a half game back of Washington and 2 games back of New Orleans.

Normally this wouldn't bother me but since the Raptors schedule eases up considerably after the San Antonio game tomorrow, and Bargnani likely coming back in March, they really need every loss they can before those two things happen.

I guess I should be thankful that they really avoided disaster by having Kobe and Lin hit game winners against them. If they would've won those two games, it would have been a crushing blow.

I wouldn't get too worried about one win against Boston yet. I'm sure we will blow a game or two against a team we could probably beat. If I we Colangelo, i'd be looking to move Barbosa sooner rather then later though to hurt the teams chances of winning. Maybe even Calderon soon too.

A pretty interesting stat for all of those people who say that Barnes can't create his own offense, is spoon fed by Marshall and things like that.

Other than Marshall, who has been assisted on just 20 percent of his field goals--which you would expect since most of his scoring comes from driving the ball straight to the hoop--Harrison Barnes is by far the Tar Heel who is creating most of his own shots. Barnes has been assisted on just 39 percent of his field goals this season.

•Barnes's last nine field goals and twelve of his last 13 baskets are unassisted.

http://www.tarheelblue.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021512aaa.html

Speaking of Barnes, UNC plays in about 20 minutes. UConn also plays today. I believe the game has actually already started.

Some stats from today:

Harrison Barnes - 23 points*, 6 rebounds (4 offensive) on 9-20 shooting.

Jeremy Lamb - 18 points, 5 rebounds on 8-13 shooting

Andre Drummond - 15 points, 9 rebounds on 7-14 shooting

Cody Zeller - 23 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists on 9-11 shooting

Meyers Leonard - 9 points, 12 rebounds on 4-7 shooting

Those were really the only expected lottery talents playing tonight, and even then, I doubt the Raptors have much interest in either Leionard or Zeller, but I figured I'd throw their numbers in there anyways.

*Barnes had either 14 or 17 (can't remember if he had 6 or 9 in the first half) of his points in the 2nd half to bring his team back from a 5 point half time defecit to a 9 point win.

In regards to lottery positioning, Toronto currently sits tied for 5th with the Pistons, 0.5 games out of 4th, 1.5 games out of 3rd and 2 games out of 2nd.

BFT, what are your thoughts on Lamb? Haven't watched more than 2-3 college games this year but haven't been able to watch him at all (stupid cheap ass student housing cable). I like the sounds of him, but his assists numbers scare me, Derozan-esque almost, at 1.8 APG to 2.2 topg. Do you think he is an option for the Raps? Would he probably come in at the expense of Derozan, who I doubt he can be a 3 long-term. I just ask this because it seems like we aren't going to be in the Barnes, Davis or Drummond sweepstakes without some lottery luck, which we are definitely due for lol.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Lamb (about 3 or 4 games this season) so I don't have nearly as much of a grasp on his game as somebody like Barnes who I've seen close to 10 times this year on top of the 10+ I saw last year.

Anyways, Lamb is a scorer first and foremost. He isn't as limited at creating his own shot as DeRozan is as he does have a nice crossover and makes great use of his length (has an absolutely freakish wingspan) to get his shot off. His jumper is more advanced than DeMar's as well. He doesn't have the body control or the ability to take a hit like DeRozan, though.

He isn't much of a playmaker, but still better than DeMar. With Napier and Boatwright on the roster, he really isn't asked to do much playmaking and is used more as a finisher. Earlier in the season when Boatwright was out he played some backup point and was competent enough, although he was clearly out of his element.

He likely would come at the expense of DeRozan since he is only 6'5 and doesn't exactly have the frame where you could project him to add enough size to play the 3. His length is a nice asset, but it wouldn't be enough to have him play the 3.

Personally, I have Davis, Barnes, Drummond and MKG ahead of him for sure (in regards to the Raptors). Perry Jones is more gifted, but with his lack of motor or energy, I can easily see him busting.. I'm also not sure who I like more between him and Bradley Beal.

EDIT: Do you have access to TSN2 at all tomorrow? I'm not sure if you are still at school or not, but anyways, if you do, UConn is playing at noon EST on TSN2. UNC is also playing at 4 EST tomorrow.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Lamb (about 3 or 4 games this season) so I don't have nearly as much of a grasp on his game as somebody like Barnes who I've seen close to 10 times this year on top of the 10+ I saw last year.

Anyways, Lamb is a scorer first and foremost. He isn't as limited at creating his own shot as DeRozan is as he does have a nice crossover and makes great use of his length (has an absolutely freakish wingspan) to get his shot off. His jumper is more advanced than DeMar's as well. He doesn't have the body control or the ability to take a hit like DeRozan, though.

He isn't much of a playmaker, but still better than DeMar. With Napier and Boatwright on the roster, he really isn't asked to do much playmaking and is used more as a finisher. Earlier in the season when Boatwright was out he played some backup point and was competent enough, although he was clearly out of his element.

He likely would come at the expense of DeRozan since he is only 6'5 and doesn't exactly have the frame where you could project him to add enough size to play the 3. His length is a nice asset, but it wouldn't be enough to have him play the 3.

Personally, I have Davis, Barnes, Drummond and MKG ahead of him for sure (in regards to the Raptors). Perry Jones is more gifted, but with his lack of motor or energy, I can easily see him busting.. I'm also not sure who I like more between him and Bradley Beal.

EDIT: Do you have access to TSN2 at all tomorrow? I'm not sure if you are still at school or not, but anyways, if you do, UConn is playing at noon EST on TSN2. UNC is also playing at 4 EST tomorrow.

I'll be watching the UNC game tomorrow. I might watch the UConn game too, not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been thinking about possible 2nd round picks, since it is obvious who the Raptors are going to be after with their 1st round pick, and one guy that has really caught my eye is NC State's CJ Leslie. He was pretty well regarded coming out of high school but had an up and down freshman season. He seems to really be putting it together as of late, though. Check out his numbers over his past few ACC games:

21 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks on 7-10 FG and 1-1 3PT against Miami (FL)

18 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists on 7-15 FG and 4-8 FT against Clemson

24 points, 12 rebounds, 1 block on 9-17 FG and 6-9 FT against UNC

21 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block, 2 steals on 8-14 FG and 5-6 FT against Florida State

12 points, 9 rebounds, 6 blocks on 6-16 FG against Duke

For the season he is averaging 14.2 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.8 bpg on 50.5 FG% and

There are questions about his position as some people believe he may be stuck between the 3 and the 4, and assuming the Raptors draft a wing with their 1st round pick he probably wouldn't be an option with the new rookie, James Johnson and Linas Kleiza all on the roster, but there is no denying his talent and athleticism.

Last year Sidney Lowe used him mainly as an athletic finisher and didn't really use him much in his offense, but NC State's new coach, Mark Gottfried, is making him much more of a focal point offensively this season. He is drawing up plays for him, putting him in one-on-one situations and is also using him out on the perimeter more than Lowe did. He is still much more effective around the rim on the perimeter as his outside jumper is inconsistent and he does have a shaky handle, but he has a great first step and doesn't waste movement.

I imagine that if he continues this strong play he would elevate himself into the 1st round, but figured I'd mention him as I have been very impressed with what I have seen of him as of late, especially since he is going up against some ranked teams in Duke, UNC, Florida St. and a solid Miami (FL) team. I liked him last year coming out of high school and was a bit disappointed by his inconsistent play. This year he has really improved his game, but at the end of the day he is too similar to James Johnson to really be a candidate for the Raptors.

His talent and potential does intrigue me if he decides to enter the draft and is available in the 2nd round when the Raptors pick.

My two favourite targets in the 2nd round at the moment would be Doron Lamb of Kentucky and Dion Waiters of Syracuse as I think both of them would make great long term backups at the two and both are capable ball handlers.

• 2 weeks later...

Great day for the tank.

Toronto dealt Barbosa who was keeping them in games and, in some cases, winning them games in the 4th.

New Jersey dealt their 1st for Wallace, so you know they are going to go balls to the wall trying to win and retain Deron this summer.

Washington acquired Nene who should end up helping them win more games than they would've otherwise. Question is, will they win enough for the Raps to overtake them, or do they have too much of a lead built up?

If Toronto can hold of Sacramento, they should at least finish no worse than 4th last.

With that said, it wasn't a great day in terms of the actual draft prospects.

Drummond had 2 points and 3 rebounds in UConn's loss, Lamb was a non-factor despite what his stats may say (and they aren't that good either) and Perry Jones had 2 points on 1-6 shooting.

Hopefully guys like Barnes, Beal and Robinson have a better showing tomorrow.

Anthony Davis was his usual self, though. 16 points, 9 rebounds and 7 blocks.

MKG was alright, I guess. 9 points, 7 boards, 2 assists on 4-8 shooting.

Great day for the tank.

Toronto dealt Barbosa who was keeping them in games and, in some cases, winning them games in the 4th.

New Jersey dealt their 1st for Wallace, so you know they are going to go balls to the wall trying to win and retain Deron this summer.

Washington acquired Nene who should end up helping them win more games than they would've otherwise. Question is, will they win enough for the Raps to overtake them, or do they have too much of a lead built up?

If Toronto can hold of Sacramento, they should at least finish no worse than 4th last.

With that said, it wasn't a great day in terms of the actual draft prospects.

Drummond had 2 points and 3 rebounds in UConn's loss, Lamb was a non-factor despite what his stats may say (and they aren't that good either) and Perry Jones had 2 points on 1-6 shooting.

Hopefully guys like Barnes, Beal and Robinson have a better showing tomorrow.

Anthony Davis was his usual self, though. 16 points, 9 rebounds and 7 blocks.

MKG was alright, I guess. 9 points, 7 boards, 2 assists on 4-8 shooting.

I'm curious to see how Austin Rivers plays as well. As of late, he's been rising pretty high in the draft rankings and i've seen one mock draft where the Raptors take him with a 6th pick or something. I'm not sure if he plays more PG or SG, but if he plays really well and rises his stock even more, the Raptors might want to take him. I'm sure we wouldn't take him if we had anywhere below like 6th pick, but if the draft lottery was to screw us for a second year in a row he's be a solid option.

I doubt he even declares unless it is some guarantee that Boston will be able to pick him.

He loves it at Duke, has acknowledged that he still has a lot of work to do on his game before he is NBA ready and its not like he needs the money or anything.

If he blows up next year, he could really elevate his draft stock.

I could be way off, though.

And Kabongo finishes his season with a stellar 2 point, 2 rebounds, 2 assist, 2 turnover on 0-6 shooting performance. He did have 4 steals, but definitely not a good showing from him. I'd be surprised if he declares this year as his stock has dropped quite a bit throughout the course of the year.

Then again, I said the same thing about Cory Joseph last season and he declared, much to my surprise.

I doubt he even declares unless it is some guarantee that Boston will be able to pick him.

He loves it at Duke, has acknowledged that he still has a lot of work to do on his game before he is NBA ready and its not like he needs the money or anything.

If he blows up next year, he could really elevate his draft stock.

I could be way off, though.

And Kabongo finishes his season with a stellar 2 point, 2 rebounds, 2 assist, 2 turnover on 0-6 shooting performance. He did have 4 steals, but definitely not a good showing from him. I'd be surprised if he declares this year as his stock has dropped quite a bit throughout the course of the year.

Then again, I said the same thing about Cory Joseph last season and he declared, much to my surprise.

Myck Kabongo should really stay for another year in college. That was a brutal game for him, that erally was a lot of the reason Texas ended up losing. He has quite a bit of work left to do on his game, and staying another year in Texas where he will get lots of minutes should help him develop more.

As for Rivers, I didn't really know anything about him personally, so by the sounds of it I guess he probably will stick around in Duke for another year. But if he can continue to rise in the draft rankings, he might not be able to resist the urge to take his game to the next level.

I'm really starting to warm up to Bradley Beal.

I always like his shooting and rebounding ability but he is starting to show a much more all-around game than I originally thought he had. Dude is an elite rebounder from the guard position, has shown solid playmaking ability and is playing very well defensively despite being played out of position at Florida.

He really fills up the box score and does a lot of things very well.

He didn't stuff the stat sheet like he normally does today, but it was a blowout so that isn't a real surprise to me. He still had 14 points and 11 boards on 5-8 shooting.

I'm really starting to warm up to Bradley Beal.

I always like his shooting and rebounding ability but he is starting to show a much more all-around game than I originally thought he had. Dude is an elite rebounder from the guard position, has shown solid playmaking ability and is playing very well defensively despite being played out of position at Florida.

He really fills up the box score and does a lot of things very well.

He didn't stuff the stat sheet like he normally does today, but it was a blowout so that isn't a real surprise to me. He still had 14 points and 11 boards on 5-8 shooting.

Any way you think he could play the point? I don't think theres any way that Raptors see him in their future plans unless he can. Some people say Demar could always move to SF, but I don't think his game would transition well to SF.

Any way you think he could play the point? I don't think theres any way that Raptors see him in their future plans unless he can. Some people say Demar could always move to SF, but I don't think his game would transition well to SF.

No, I don't.

I can see DeRozan moving to the 3 more than I can see Beal playing the point.

I actually think DeRozan's game is more suited to the 3 than the 2, though. The only problem with him playing the 3 is his lack of strength. His game from a stylistic standpoint is much more of a small forward than a shooting guard.

Really though, unless DeRozan goes nuts these final 20 games of the season, I don't think that the Raptors should not draft a guy because of him. In my opinion, he hasn't shown enough so far to warrant passing on the best player available, if it that ends up being Beal.

No, I don't.

I can see DeRozan moving to the 3 more than I can see Beal playing the point.

I actually think DeRozan's game is more suited to the 3 than the 2, though. The only problem with him playing the 3 is his lack of strength. His game from a stylistic standpoint is much more of a small forward than a shooting guard.

Really though, unless DeRozan goes nuts these final 20 games of the season, I don't think that the Raptors should not draft a guy because of him. In my opinion, he hasn't shown enough so far to warrant passing on the best player available, if it that ends up being Beal.

Thats what I meant about Demar. I can't see him being successful playing SF because i just can't imagine trying to watch him defend guys like lebron james, kevin durant, josh smith etc. Guys that would just completely out power him.

I don't think theres any reason the Raptors should be looking at a possible for replacement for Derozan so early in the draft though. I can understand them drafting Beal if he really proves it in the tournament that he could be great, and Barnes and MKG are already taken. But I think Demar has really picked up his game over the past two months or so. He was just ice cold at the start of the season, and thats why he hasn't been able to get his numbers to look that great.

I'm not saying pick a replacement for DeRozan. I'm saying pick the BPA.

The Raptors aren't nearly talented enough to justify passing on a prospect because they already have somebody who plays that position. Nobody on this team, with the possible exception of Valanciunas, projects to be a consistent All-Star, and it is a stretch to even say that Valanciunas has that potential.

DeRozan, as much as I like him, hasn't proven enough in his career to justify passing on the BPA in order to fill a need. He has had good scoring games, but he is still inconsistent scoring wise, is an inconsistent defender and contributes very little on the glass or making plays. I don't even care if his numbers were the same as they were last year, he just doesn't have a large enough impact on games. If you think Beal or Lamb are the BPA when picking, draft them and let them and DeRozan battle for the starting shooting guard spot.

I'm not giving up on DeRozan but I'm also no longer under the belief that he should be entitled to or be handed anything.

Kabongo leaning towards entering the draft, according to NBADraft.net

NBADraft.net ‏ @nbadraftnet

We're hearing FR Texas PG Myck Kabongo is leaning toward leaving for the NBA, despite being a likely 2nd rounder according to scouts.

J'Covan Brown is leaving as well, so if Kabongo does return he won't have Brown as a safety net to defer to like he did so often this season. He also won't have the leading scorer as well, so it is a double-edged sword.

As for Kabongo leaving, it is a tough decision. He was very underwhelming this season and is at best a late lottery pick this year. If he goes back to school next year and has a strong season he could possibly find himself in the lottery considering next years draft is a terrible draft for point guards.

On the other hand, if he does go back and has another poor season, he will see his draft stock plummet even more. He won't have the high school hype around him anymore and could find himself fall way down the board.

So it is a tough decision for him. He could possibly end up making, or costing, himself millions of dollars depending on what he decides to do.

Kabongo leaning towards entering the draft, according to NBADraft.net

J'Covan Brown is leaving as well, so if Kabongo does return he won't have Brown as a safety net to defer to like he did so often this season. He also won't have the leading scorer as well, so it is a double-edged sword.

As for Kabongo leaving, it is a tough decision. He was very underwhelming this season and is at best a late lottery pick this year. If he goes back to school next year and has a strong season he could possibly find himself in the lottery considering next years draft is a terrible draft for point guards.

On the other hand, if he does go back and has another poor season, he will see his draft stock plummet even more. He won't have the high school hype around him anymore and could find himself fall way down the board.

So it is a tough decision for him. He could possibly end up making, or costing, himself millions of dollars depending on what he decides to do.

If i were him, I would stay another year. Texas is a great program and they had an off year this year. But with him having a year of college bball under his belt will make him more prepared for the upcoming season. On the other hand, if he enters the draft it would be much easier for the raptors to get him. They could probably get him with their second round pick, or even possibly with Indianas.

Beal is quickly moving his way up my draft board. I think he has elevated to 2nd on my draft board after Davis.

The guy just has such an impact on the game regardless of whether he is scoring or not. Sure, he had 21 points tonight on 8-10 shooting, but that honestly isn't even what impressed me the most about his game. He was just involved in every facet. He had 2 steals, got his hands on probably another 5 passes, had 2 blocks (one a chase down transition LeBron style and the other a momentum swinging one on Crowder when Marquette was making a run), pulled down 6 boards and handed out 4 assists, which could've easily been 6 if Florida players hit the wide open looks he set them up with.

He also does a great job of making the "hockey assist" by making the pass that leads to the assist. He isn't credited with anything but it was his initial pass that set up the play.

For instance, early in the game he fed a bounce pass into Patric Young just below the free throw line. After receiving the pass, the defense immediately rotated over to Young who found a cutting Florida player for a layup. Young got the assist, but it was Beal's pass into the middle of the defense that created the entire play.

Givony was also very impressed by his play tonight.

Jonathan Givony ‏ @DraftExpress

Not sure Bradley Beal needed to have a signature performance after his SEC tournament semi game vs Kentucky, but he had another one tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Raptors really need to stop screwing around.

Cleveland is showing no shame at all in their tanking, losing 7 in a row and getting blown out by nearly 40 at home. Irving is hurt and don't be surprised at all if he takes his sweet time coming back. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they don't win a game for the rest of the year. Their tanking is that blatant.

As for Toronto, they are currently sitting in 4th, which is about the best we can hope for. They aren't catching Charlotte, New Orleans or Washington (regardless of how improved they've been since getting rid of McGee and Young).

The problem is that 2 or 3 wins will bump you from 4th all the way up to 8th since New Jersey, Cleveland, Sacramento and Detroit are are all so close. That makes me really worried about this upcoming stretch. They play:

vs. Washington

vs. Charlotte

@ Philly

vs. Cleveland

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they went 3-1 during this stretch, which would absolutely kill them in the tank wars. Crucial week ahead.

we need another brutal loss to Charlotte like last time. Washington is improved and they could maybe beat us. We have to lose to Philly. Cleveland i'm not too sure. If they keep up how they've been, it will be hard to lose to them.

My post NCAA Tournament wish list:

1. Anthony Davis

2. Bradley Beal

3. Thomas Robinson

4. Harrison Barnes

5. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

6. Jeremy Lamb

7. Andre Drummond

8. Perry Jones III

want no part of: Jared Sullinger

I really hope that they don't fall past 8 and, despite how much Drummond and PJ3 scare me, I simply can't pass up their potential at that slot in the draft.

I know Barnes choked hard in the tournament, but I think he will be a better pro than college player and if anybody is going to be a legitimate #1 option, I think it is him or Lamb.

I like MKG's all-around game, but I just don't see the offensive upside to warrant the Raptors picking him if they move into the top 3. I can understand why he is so highly regarded but I don't really view him as a center piece of a franchise and think he will be a complimentary piece. An awesome one, but still a complimentary piece. He is still only 18 years old so I'm certainly not writing him off and would be perfectly fine with drafting him.

I know most Raptor fans are hell bent on a wing, but I'd be perfectly fine coming away with Thomas Robinson as well. I think he is going to have a great career and the potential of a Robinson/Valanciunas duo really intrigues me. If he continues to improve his faceup game and his mid range shot, which has come a long way this season, he is going to be great.

I'm sure things will change when measurements are released and workouts get underway, but that is my personal board for the Raptors right now.

My post NCAA Tournament wish list:

1. Anthony Davis

2. Bradley Beal

3. Thomas Robinson

4. Harrison Barnes

5. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

6. Jeremy Lamb

7. Andre Drummond

8. Perry Jones III

want no part of: Jared Sullinger

I really hope that they don't fall past 8 and, despite how much Drummond and PJ3 scare me, I simply can't pass up their potential at that slot in the draft.

I know Barnes choked hard in the tournament, but I think he will be a better pro than college player and if anybody is going to be a legitimate #1 option, I think it is him or Lamb.

I like MKG's all-around game, but I just don't see the offensive upside to warrant the Raptors picking him if they move into the top 3. I can understand why he is so highly regarded but I don't really view him as a center piece of a franchise and think he will be a complimentary piece. An awesome one, but still a complimentary piece. He is still only 18 years old so I'm certainly not writing him off and would be perfectly fine with drafting him.

I know most Raptor fans are hell bent on a wing, but I'd be perfectly fine coming away with Thomas Robinson as well. I think he is going to have a great career and the potential of a Robinson/Valanciunas duo really intrigues me. If he continues to improve his faceup game and his mid range shot, which has come a long way this season, he is going to be great.

I'm sure things will change when measurements are released and workouts get underway, but that is my personal board for the Raptors right now.

My wish list goes something like

1. Anthony Davis

2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

3. Harrison Barnes

4. Kendall Marshall

5.Thomas Robinson

6. Bradley Beal

7. Jarred Sullinger

8. Andre Drummond

9. Austin Rivers

10. Jeremy Lamb

I have really grown more of a liking to MKG over the tournament. He might not bring much offensive explosiveness to a team, but he still possesses some good offensive talent. Then he's also got good defense and a great player for a team leadership wise. I'd be pissed if we took Drummond. I could see the Raptors taking him just because he's got "so much potential", but i don't see it in him. I also really like Marshal, but i know unless the lottery screws us and we end up way down, we probably won't take him. I'm not sure what to think about Barnes, but as of right now i'd actually rather MKG.