Lakers invite Jason Kapono to its practice facilities

Newman

The Los Angeles Lakers started off a week that promises to be a free-agent frenzy for the league by inviting unrestricted free agent forward Jason Kapono to its practice facilities Monday, a league source confirmed to ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Kapono spent the last two seasons in Philadelphia, where he played a minimal role. He averaged 5.7 points per game in 2009-11 and saw his average dip to just 0.7 points per game last season as his minutes were cut from 17.1 to 4.7 per game.

Despite the limited playing time, Kapono's time with the Sixers allowed him to become acquainted with player development coach Quin Snyder. Snyder was hired as an assistant on new Lakers coach Mike Brown's staff this summer.

Source

Thoughts on the possibility of Kapono joining?

IMO with Mike Brown at the helm and with Lamar being able to play the SF, Kapono would only get around 10 minutes per game, which I don't think is enough for a shooter like him to make an impact at all.

• Owner

Source

Thoughts on the possibility of Kapono joining?

IMO with Mike Brown at the helm and with Lamar being able to play the SF, Kapono would only get around 10 minutes per game, which I don't think is enough for a shooter like him to make an impact at all.

Lamar may be able to play as a small forward, but he can't play the position well enough. If he ever had a shot at it, well, it was in the triangle offense.

I'd be shocked if Mike Brown went with a Bynum/Gasol/Odom frontcourt for longer than five minutes a game, if that...but, then again, I really have no clue what he's going to do with our offense. I just know Odom at the three has never worked.

Maybe the Lakers are going to just let Brown walk, play Barnes as the backup behind Ron, Kapono backing up Bryant...or vice-versa.

With that said, this isn't something I want to happen, at all...doesn't matter how cheap we can get him. I'd rather have Adam Morrison back.

• Owner

Any team can use a dead eye shooter. Don't kid yourselves, players like Kapono are extremely useful, just not at more than a salary 2 million or less.

He hasn't done anything in 2-3 years, he's already 30, shooting lower percentages, doesn't play defense. I don't see the need for him.

For the minimum he's a solid pickup.

Would be better if Walton wasn't on the team wasting a roster spot.

Kapono fills a need. Especially since LA needs to spread the floor for Gasol and Dwight ;)

Well, that's why we drafted arguably the best three-point shooter in college basketball last season.

NBA teams can't sign free agents until Friday, but the Lakers met with Kapono and were close to a deal for one or two years and about $1.3 million annually.

The Lakers would sign Kapono for a minimum veteran's salary and wouldn't have to dip into their main free-agent tool -- a three-year, $9.4-million contract known as the mini mid-level exception.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20111206,0,3081429.story

Hopefully the 2nd year is a team option or non guaranteed.

Edited by ?QuestionMark?