Draft Grades

Showtime16

Atlanta Hawks #48 Keith Benson C/PF: Benson is a good value for the pick here he is long with good skill that may develop into a solid big. No harm in selecting Benson here. C

Boston Celtics #27 JaJuan Johnson PF/C #55 E’twan Moore G: Johnson is a good big man who will do the dirty work and is a guy I see breaking into the Celtics rotation. As for Moore he is a solid Guard who will find a spot on the roster. B-

Charlotte Bobcats: # 7 Bismack Biyombo PF/C # 9 Kemba Walker G added Corey Maggette G/F: Biyombo is a big, long, and athletic guy who was drafted to become a defensive ace inside. That has yet to be seen and his offensive game is nonexistent at the moment for those reasons I cannot warrant picking Biyombo as high as he was taken. Walker is a tenacious player who has a Tebow esque feel to his game meaning he just wins and has intangibles that cannot be measured. . He is not a prolific shooter though he can score it and he is not a true PG in the eyes of most scouts. He will also struggle when defending bigger Guards. Walker leading UConn to a National Championship elevated his stock and was a big reason for his high value. Maggette is a veteran wing who has been around and at times is a good player. B

Chicago Bulls #23 Nikola Mirotic F #30 Jimmy Butler F/G: The Bulls will return a bulk of the roster and are looking for a championship run this season. That being said it is easy to see why they took Mirotic a high potential guy who can stay and develop overseas. Butler fit the Bull fast paced offense and he is also a capable defender he won’t play early, but he may crack the back end of the rotation down the line. B-

Cleveland Cavaliers #1 Kyrie Irving PG #4 Tristan Thompson PF #54 Millan MacVan PF: The Cavs have started the rebuilding process with the first corner stone being Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson. Irving will be a solid PG and leader for this young team baring any serious injuries. Thompson has the ability to be a really good player he does the little things well and is an intelligent player. Macvan will player overseas for a few season before coming over to the States, but he could be a valuable asset in the future. I don’t see a perennial All Star in Irving or Thompson; however I do feel that they are capable starters that you can build around. B-

Dallas Mavericks: Add Rudy Fernandez SG Add Petteri Koponen F: The addition of Rudy Fernandez a good player who fits the Mavs scheme was a great move. In a weak class Fernandez is a proven player that adds depth to an already deep team. Fernandez will battle it out for the starting SG spot this season and the defending champs just got better. A-

Denver Nuggets #22 Kenneth Faried PF/C # 26 Jordan Hamilton SF #56 Chukwudiebere Maduabum Add Andre Miller PG: The Nuggets dealt Carmelo Antohny last year at his wish and in return became one of the deepest franchises. They don’t have a super star, but they do have a plethora of young talent and assets. Farried will be added to that mix as they will likely lose Nene. Faried is a warrior in the Ben Wallace mold. Hamilton will be looked on to replace some of the scoring that existed when Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith committed to playing overseas. Chu Chu Maduabum will be given time to develop. Andre Miller brings a veteran leader to a young team. A-

Detroit Pistons: #8 Brandon Knight PG #33 Kyle Singler #52 Vernon Macklin F/C: Brandon Knight is the key to this draft class as he will be called on to carry a franchise in need of new fresh faces to build around. I see Knight become a very good starting PG in this league. Singler has the skill to contribute, but it looks like he will play overseas for a while longer. I see Mackling sticking to an NBA roster as well. B+

Golden State Warriors: #11 Klay Thompson SG #38 Jeremy Tyler C/F #44 Charles Jenkins G: Thompson was a good pick he is a kid who can come in and find a niche that also allows you to look into trading either Monta Ellis or Steph Curry. Jeremy Tyler has an NBA body and skill set, however his motor and work eithic have always been questioned. Charles Jenkins is a combo guard who could be a poor man’s Ben Gordon. A-

Houston Rockets #14 Marcus Morris F #20 Donatas Montiejunas F/C # 38 Chandler Parsons Added Johnny Flynn PG: The Rockets are still a middle of the road team with a lot of young assets and they added a few more good ones in this year’s draft with Marcus Morris Donatas Montiejunas, Chandler Parsons and Johnny Flynn. Morris will have to make the transition from PF to SF which will hamper his development a bit. Montiejunas is a player with huge upside and the only questions are if and when he will deliver. Parson is a role player and they added Flynn in a draft day trade. Flynn has spurts where he looks good. He has to become a consistent player. B+

Indiana Pacer: Added George Hill G: Hill is a very good combo guard who has the ability to become a starter, but he is best suited coming off the bench as a combo guard. B

LA Clippers #37 Trey Thompkins F/C #47 Travis Leslie F/G: A very good draft for where they where selecting. Thompkins is a polished big man and Leslie is a freak athlete with the potential to become a shut down defender. B

LA Lakers #41 Darius Morris # 46 Andrew Goudelock #58 Ater Majok: They brought in a defensive minded big PG in Morris and a pure shooter in Goudelock. Both of whom could find roles on this veteran team. Majok is a project type player. Good draft for value. B-

Memphis #49 Josh Selby G: A combo guard with a questionable work ethic and attitude. Selby has a lot of skills, but no natural position. D+

Miami #28 Norris Cole PG: Cole could be a special PG. The Heat got him in the late first round and he could be the piece they were missing last season. C

Milwaukee #19 Tobias Harris and #40 Jon Leuer, Added Stephen Jackson, Beno Udrih, Shaun Livingston. Harris is a young versatile player who adds depth to the Bucks roster. Leuer is a big guy who will try to make the roster. Stephen Jackson, Udrih and Livingston were added on draft night and are all expected to make the roster. Jackson will be called on to score and Livingston and Udrih will fight for backup PG spot. B-

Minnesota #2 Derrick Williams PF #43 Malcolm Lee G: Derrick Williams is a good player who will likely end up being a PF, but will try to play some SF this season. Lee is a solid guard who personally I don’t see him developing into a NBA starter, but he can make the roster and contribute. B-

New Jersey #25 Marshon Brooks SG #36 Jordan Williams C/F: People will think I am crazy, but I an sold on Brooks making it as a scorer at the SG position. Weather he is a starter or offensive spark off the bench a la Jordan Crawford is the question. Jordan Williams is a big who may actually pan out and be a contributor to this team. B

New Orleans No Picks

New York #17 Iman Shumpert #45 Josh Harrelson PF: Shumpert was a shocking pick this high to me, but to each his on and Harrelson is even more mind boggling. Harrelson could develop into that nasty front court player that comes off the bench and defends and rebounds without complaining. Shumpert is a good player, but on the value of the pick I am not sold yet. C-

Oklahoma City #24 Reggie Jackson: Jackson add more depth to a deep young team. Jackson has all the makings of capable NBA PG. B-

Orlando #32 Justin Harper PF #53 DeAndre Liggins F/G: Going off value these two picks are very good. Harper has a niche as a stretch PF and Liggins is an freakish athlete with good skills who could develop into a really good player. I see both players in the Magic’s rotation at some point. B

Philadelphia #16 Nikola Vucevic PF/C and #50 Lavoy Allen PF: Vucevic was a good pick for them he fit a team need. Lavoy Allen will battle for a roster spot. C

Phoenix #13 Markief Morris: Morris will be a decent PF when he is called. The Suns need to blow it up and start the rebuilding process. Morris can be a piece of that process. C

Portland Picks: # 21 Nolan Smith G #51 Jon Diebler #57 Tanguy Ngombo Added Raymond Felton PG: Key to this grade is the addition of Ray Felton. Felton will be the Blazers starting PG for the foreseeable future. Smith could end up being his back up. Deibler is a deep assassin who may find a roster spot for that reason only. Ngombo is an undersized SF. B-

Sacramento #10 Jimmer Fredette, # 35 Tyler Honeycutt #60 Isaiah Thomas,Added John Salmons: I am a Fredette fan and I think he can be an NBA PG. I also like Honeycutt, but I don’t think he is NBA ready. Thomas is a nice value pick for where he was selected. The addition of Salmons helps he is a immediate starter for the young Kings. B-

San Antonio # 15 Kawhi Leonard SF#29 Cory Joseph G # 42 Davis Bertans F # 59 Adam Hanga G: I was Leonard fan and wished the Rockets would have picked him. He can come in and help out defensively immediately. Leonard can also finish above the rim and is a good rebounder. Joseph is a few years away from being a factor. Bertans is an intriguing pick and is a very good asset. He has a serious offensive game. Hanga is a guy to watch in the future if he develops lot of assets. B

Toronto #5 Jonas Valanciunas C: Is Valanciunas the guy they need to control the paint? He will allow Bargnani to play his natural position, PF. I don’t see him starting day one, but look for him to play sooner than later if he is in America. C

Utah #3 Enes Kanter C/F #12 Alec Burk SG: Kanter was the most polished player in the draft in my eyes as far as the bigs go. I think he will start from day one and be a factor. Burks will battle for starting job with Raja Bell at SG. Burks is a slasher who needs to improve shooting to be a serious SG threat. If Kanter delivers the goods this will be a huge lift for Jazz. B+

Washington #6 Jan Veseley F #18 Chris Singleton SF #34 Shelvin Mack PG: I think they said “heck with it” and took the best available in their eyes. Veseley is a freaky athlete who can finish in side and fits this team’s tempo and scheme to the T. His natural fit is at PF. Singleton is another niche player I was high on. I weaker draft classes I like to find guys with a niche who can play do to the fact they do something well. They may not be a super star, but they have that skill that sets them apart. Singleton is a defender who can run the floor and finish above rim with John Wall running the show. Mack was a good value pick and will likely be Wall’s back up. B+

Edited by Showtime16

B+ for the Rockets sounds about right, I gave them a B right after the draft but from the looks of it the Rockets appear to have at least nailed the Motiejunas pick (judging from his performance in Europe). There have been positive reports on both Marcus Morris and Chandler Parsons as well. Too early to tell how each pick will turn out since we have yet to even play a game but the positive feedback/video on all our picks makes me feel a lot better about our draft night.

B+ for the Rockets sounds about right, I gave them a B right after the draft but from the looks of it the Rockets appear to have at least nailed the Motiejunas pick (judging from his performance in Europe). There have been positive reports on both Marcus Morris and Chandler Parsons as well. Too early to tell how each pick will turn out since we have yet to even play a game but the positive feedback/video on all our picks makes me feel a lot better about our draft night.

Yea I read some where that both D-Mo and Parsons have been playing well. I just hope D-Mo suites up this season man...

Donatas Motiejunas :(

Nah, he's staying in Poland for the whole season and we need help now. A low 200 lb center was never a need for us, we have enough scoring and finesse.. need a defensive minded big who rebounds. Motiejunas would have been overkill, an Amar'e/Donatas duo in the paint would be silly easy to score on.

Nah, he's staying in Poland for the whole season and we need help now. A low 200 lb center was never a need for us, we have enough scoring and finesse.. need a defensive minded big who rebounds. Motiejunas would have been overkill, an Amar'e/Donatas duo in the paint would be silly easy to score on.