Clippers Offer DeAndre Jordan Five Year, $40M Deal

From Woj's Twitter:

Clippers offer 5 years, $40M to keep RFA DeAndre Jordan, sources tell Y! Still, he's destined to sign offer sheet and force them to match.

Gotta love it.

We have a near 6 month lockout and the day teams are allowed to make offers to free agents, you get an $8M per year offer to a big man who averaged 7/7 last season. :lol:

(Yes I realized he is being paid based on his "potential" but still)

Best part of all of this is you just know that somebody is going to sign him to an offer sheet that pays him around $9-11M a season.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Wow the Clipps extended an offer first instead of the patent Clipper matching ways. Makes sense i read on either hoopsworld or realgm that with DJ signing early the cap hold stays at 1 mill for now. I could be wrong but if thats the case good move Clipper FO. I really hope he takes it and doesn't get greedy.

Terrible contract, Kendrick Perkins is much more established at the center position and he got $32 mill from the Thunder. This is the problem with these type of contracts that are purely based off potential, it can really bite you in the ass if the player doesn't pan out. Not sure a team like the Clips should be throwing around that type of money when they could be on the verge of landing a big named star.

This offer is sure to make Marc Gasol and Tyson Chandler very very greedy.

Wondering if that number is what the Hornets would want to pay him or the Clippers' own offer regardless of the situation. If the Hornets don't like the deal (which might be likely because this could easily turn into an awful contract) then it could hurt the Clippers' pitch for Paul.

Edited by Dash

From Woj's Twitter:

Gotta love it.

We have a near 6 month lockout and the day teams are allowed to make offers to free agents, you get an $8M per year offer to a big man who averaged 7/7 last season. :lol:

(Yes I realized he is being paid based on his "potential" but still)

Best part of all of this is you just know that somebody is going to sign him to an offer sheet that pays him around $9-11M a season.

Reminds me of the time the Raptors gave a 5 year 34 mill deal to a guy coming a 6/5 season :lol:

I like DJ. A lot. And anyone who thinks he's reached his ceiling is crazy. That being said, the deal he's being offered by the Clips is too generous but probably won't be enough to keep him. (I hate centers. It's not enough that they get to be taller than everyone, they get to be overpaid too.) But I digress. I hope DJ sticks around. I think those of you who are critical of his numbers are looking at his value the wrong way. He's basically a freakishly athletic cheerleader. Think Mark Madsen but, you know, can actually play basketball. And like I said, he's not done developing. As long as we never rely on his offense, he could end up being a defensive/rebounding force like Tyson Chandler. You could do worse spending 8 mil/year, as long as he gets his FT average up to the 68-70% range. He's not there yet. Not even close. Which is of course why I think the current offer is too generous.

Edited by Šhãłïq

Obviously that is a sensitive issue with Raptors fans, sorry...

Not really.

It is just pretty comical how you go out of your way to take a jab at the Raptors in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with them while also not having your facts straight in your attempt to chirp them.

Just really unecessary. Take jabs at Raptors all you want, they certainly have given fans a lot of ammunition, but at least do it in threads about them rather than derailing threads that have nothing to do with them.

I like DJ. A lot. And anyone who thinks he's reached his ceiling is crazy. That being said, the deal he's being offered by the Clips is too generous but probably won't be enough to keep him. (I hate centers. It's not enough that they get to be taller than everyone, they get to be overpaid too.) But I digress. I hope DJ sticks around. I think those of you who are critical of his numbers are looking at his value the wrong way. He's basically a freakishly athletic cheerleader. Think Mark Madsen but, you know, can actually play basketball. And like I said, he's not done developing. As long as we never rely on his offense, he could end up being a defensive/rebounding force like Tyson Chandler. You could do worse spending 8 mil/year, as long as he gets his FT average up to the 68-70% range. He's not there yet. Not even close. Which is of course why I think the current offer is too generous.

Don't get me wrong, Jordan is still developing and he brings some very good attributes to the table in terms of size, shot blocking and lane intimidation.

The problem with the contract is that they are paying him based on what they project he will become, rather than what he is currently worth. Paying players based on potential is hardly ever a good idea because more often than not, GM's opinions of their own players are inflated.

Isn't there also concerns about his attitude and work ethic as well? I remember the reason why he fell from a projected top 10 pick to a 2nd rounder is because basically every GM came away very unimpressed about his attitude and work ethic during all of the pre draft camps, workouts, etc... That was a few years ago so he obviously could hav matured by then, but if there are still some issues about those particular areas of his personality, it makes paying a guy based on your preceived potential of him even riskier.

I understand the rational behind the offer since if he does reach his ceiling he can become a very good defensive player. I just think it is a little much considering where he is currently at in his career.

DeAndre is really athletic and talented dont get me wrong but he just isn't worth more the 6-8 million in my opinion.. He has no moves or even footwork and is not a threat when posting up. Also with blake in the key at all times DeAndre does nothing by clog it for him.. if DJ could shoot this would be fine, but he cant do this either.. So what im trying to say is that I wouldnt be to disappointed to see him go to NOLA for CP3. I'm surprised DJ wasn't offered for Chris Paul.

Not really.

It is just pretty comical how you go out of your way to take a jab at the Raptors in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with them while also not having your facts straight in your attempt to chirp them.

Just really unecessary. Take jabs at Raptors all you want, they certainly have given fans a lot of ammunition, but at least do it in threads about them rather than derailing threads that have nothing to do with them.

Out of my way? lol I clicked up a topic and read it and saw the DeAndre Jordan situation was similar to Amir Johnson, I did not go out of my way at all, it probably took me 1 minute to look up the amir johnson deal to confirm how similar it was. If you see my post as a jab at the Raptors isn't yours a jab at that Clippers? lol Sorry I took a similar situation the Raptors were in 2 years ago and compared it to what the Clippers are doing, I'm sorry if I emotionally derailed you from this thread.

DeAndre is really athletic and talented dont get me wrong but he just isn't worth more the 6-8 million in my opinion.. He has no moves or even footwork and is not a threat when posting up. Also with blake in the key at all times DeAndre does nothing by clog it for him.. if DJ could shoot this would be fine, but he cant do this either.. So what im trying to say is that I wouldnt be to disappointed to see him go to NOLA for CP3. I'm surprised DJ wasn't offered for Chris Paul.

I actually think Kaman, if he can get past his injury problems, is pretty much the ideal center that you would want next to Griffin. He is a good man defender, good help defender, good shot blocker, good, bordering on great, rebounder, solid passer and has the ability to hit 10-15 foot jumpers. He doesn't have a real consistent outside shot, but he has the ability to hit them which at least will keep the defense honest, unlike Jordan who teams don't have to guard unless he is right under the rim.

Kaman also has a very nice post game to give you another look offensively. Pair Kaman's advanced post game with Griffin's freakish athletic ability and Gordon's perimeter attack and you have a very dangerous offense. Add a potential Chris Paul trade that involves anything other than these three pieces, and you suddenly have the makings of very legitimate championship calibre team. Injuries would be a concern since Griffin, Kaman and Paul have all missed significant amounts of time, but if they stay healthy and are able to mesh together, they are scary.

It is a shame that he was injured last season because I honestly think that a healthy Kaman playing up to his potential would've shown what I have mentioned in this post.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Clipper News of the Day

We've been following a lot of other stories pretty closely, and watching the free agent signings of the day, but it turns out this is a Los Angeles Clippers blog, so I guess maybe we should focus on the Clippers for a bit today also.

Training camp opened at today at 3 PM in the Clippers training facility in Playa Vista. The Clippers have an advantage over many other teams as they enter camp in that they have so many returning players and such a relatively full roster. Even free agent signee Caron Butler was present and accounted for at the very first practice.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2436597/103719_Clippers_Celtics_Basketball.jpg

In all, the Clippers have 18 players on their training camp roster as of today. Of those, five of them are camp invites from the D-League, not expected to make the team, but you never know. You can read more about the in the Clippers press release. Of the five, Blake Ahearn is the best known - he's been a D-League standout for years, and is constantly on the short list of guys who could get called up to the show. He's played a few NBA games for the Heat and the Spurs.

Of the other 13 players, ten were with the team last season. In addition to those ten, they have Butler and their two second round draft picks, Travis Leslie and Trey Thompkins.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2011/12/9/2624929/los-angeles-clippers-news-of-the-day