Donatas Motiejunas 2011-2012 season thread

Dash

Motiejunas set a record for most rebounds in a game.

Lithuanian center of Asseco Prokom Donatas Motiejunas set a new record of VTB United League in rebounds. On Sunday in Nymburk, in the match against Czech Nymburk Motiejunas made 18 rebounds - this is absolutely the best record in the history of the championship. Remind that the American players Travis Watson (Zalgiris) and Shawn King (Minsk-2006) made 17 rebounds.

http://www.vtb-league.com/en/news/kniga-rekordov-ligi-moteyunas--novyy-rekordsmen-po-podboram.htm

FYI rebounds are tougher to get in Europe.

Motiejunas is averaging 14.3 points per game, 8.5 rebounds and 1 block for the season.

Edited by Dash

That's actually good to hear. When I was looking at many scouts review on Motiejunas during the draft it was said that rebounding was one of the weaker areas of his game. IDK if it's tougher to rebound overseas compared to the NBA because I don't watch much European ball but its a step in the right direction for his game anyway it goes.

• 1 month later...

Motiejunas breaks out for another big game.

RT @LithuaniaBasket D.Motiejunas had 21 pts (6/10 FG,2/5 3PT,7/9 FT), 9 boards, 2 ast, 1 stl & 1 blk 4 Asseco Prokom against CEZ Nymburk

• 2 weeks later...

Not much but I tweeted Daryl Morey about Motiejunas and here is what he had to say:

Daryl Morey @dmorey

DMo joining next yr.Has focused on REB&set Euroleague REB record-big future RT @ZeeshanTM Motiejunas? I am impressed with rebounding this yr

Love the "big future" bit he inserts right at the end. I seriously can't wait till he gets over here. :D

Edit: he tweeted again on Motiejunas:

Daryl Morey @dmorey

Step 1:get in rotation-that is hard enough.We try 2project plyrs who have chance,too soon 2predict star RT @Da_Polo_Man will DMo be a star?

Edited by Dash

That's actually good to hear. When I was looking at many scouts review on Motiejunas during the draft it was said that rebounding was one of the weaker areas of his game. IDK if it's tougher to rebound overseas compared to the NBA because I don't watch much European ball but its a step in the right direction for his game anyway it goes.

Im sure its tougher to rebound in the NBA but the games in the Euroleague are shorter so its harder to get 20 rebounds.

I posted this in the Valanciunas thread in the Raps forum, since Valanciunas plays for Rytas, and figured I'd mention it here.

He played Lietuvos Rytas today, but he struggled.

10 points, 9 boards, 2 steals, 2/9 FG (2/2 3PT) and 4/4 FT in 29 minutes.

He was 0/7 until hitting two threes late to make the game somewhat interesting, although it was out of reach by then (cut the lead from 11 to 5 I think).

One thing about Motiejunas is that it looks like he has grown since the draft. He is looking absolutely huge out there. If I had to guess, he has grown to a legit 7'1 or 7'2 since the draft where he measured out 6'11 I believe. I talked about him not being able to play the 5 in the NBA, but now that I have seen his growth and length, I actually think he would be more than capable of playing there once he builks up a bit. He looks huge.

• Like 1

Not really concerned about the shooting performance, he's been great for most of the season and even dominated in a previous game against Lietuvos Rytas including a game winner so I'll let this one slide. The 9 rebounds look very nice.

Nice catch on his growth though. I haven't watched many of his games this year, mainly just highlights and such but if Motiejunas has seriously grown into 7'2 then this could be huge for the Rockets. Even if he isn't able to slide over to the 5 then we still got a major mismatch at the 4.

I don't know for sure since the stream was somewhat choppy and grainy, but he looked to be about an inch/inch and a half taller than Valanciunas and Val measured out right around 7 feet before the draft last year. That would put him somewhere around 7'1 or 7'2.

The stream could be misleading, but at least that is what it looked like to me.