Rockets, Lakers and Hornets discussing three team deal

Dash

We're giving up all our talent just for an upgrade at PF. A duo of Kyle Lowry/Pau Gasol won't get us very far out West.

And yes I'd rather give Chris Paul a shot, Houston would have the cap space to go after Dwight in 2012.

I don't know, it seems like a big gamble with so many moving parts going on. But I suppose nabbing Paul would make the best case for Dwight to come on over (if he doesn't sign elsewhere first).

Pau is on the wrong side of 30 and Houston wouldn't have much talent after this deal. Plus we're helping a team create a dynasty in the same conference as us while they barely give up anything. Makes no sense whatsoever, I'd rather just stay pat.

Edited by Dash

daldridgetnt David Aldridge

We know Lakers would get CP3. We know Gasol would go to HOU. And NOH? Source: Scola, Martin, Dragic, 1st/2nd round picks. But not done deal.

Horrible.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

Hornets cooling on idea of Boston needing involvement of 3rd team, considering package of Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green and picks for Chris Paul.

Please save us Ainge.

Jonathan_Feigen Jonathan Feigen

Nope, just Pau, cap room (maybe for Nene). RT @thetwoeightones: @Jonathan_Feigen if we give up all those would we also get Odom or Okafor?

Jonathan_Feigen Jonathan Feigen

Hou-LA-NO 3-tm deal for Pau "nowhere near done, nowhere near," source said. A lot could change, including other tms (Boston) getting in.

Edited by Dash

Boston doesn't have a chance, from what all I've read over the last couple of days. Rondo and Green? Houston would not want that. They are dying for a big man.

I would actually prefer that package over Pau, would mean that we are finally rebuilding. But Woj's latest tweet suggests that the Hornets would consider that deal straight up.

• Owner

I would actually prefer that package over Pau, would mean that we are finally rebuilding. But Woj's latest tweet suggests that the Hornets would consider that deal straight up.

You would? That basically means you might as well get rid of Lowry, Brooks and Dragic (or two of the three), and give up on a big man. Marc Gasol and DeAndre Jordan are almost certainly staying put, and if Nene doesn't accept that max contract from Denver, I'd be surprised.

As far as the Hornets accepting that deal, I don't know why it was shot down yesterday, when it was "rivals" with the Golden State offer. The Warriors were actually leading the pack, at one point, after they pushed aside the Boston proposal.

I hate rumors, but love activity on OTR. :lol:

Everyone appears to be confused why Houston does this, Feigan on deal:

After six months in which he could talk only to other general managers, you knew Daryl Morey would have been heavy into trade talks. That's to say nothing of going 10 months since his last deal. His finger is getting pretty itchy on that trigger.

If he pulls the trigger on the deal in the center of Thursday's discussions, it would represent virtually blowing up everything he has been building before the roster he had put together had achieved anything. Perhaps he just decided it never would.

Multiple reports had the Rockets as the third team involved in talks to send Chris Paul to the Lakers, with the Rockets sending Kevin Martin and Luis Scola out to get Pau Gasol. A person familiar with the talks confirmed the Rockets are in "discussions" on the deal. Another individual with knowledge of the talks said it is "nowhere near done. Nowhere near."

If completed, however, it would represent the Rockets' belief they cannot escape their middle-of-the-pack status and that they absolutely had to get a center. Gasol, though usually a power forward with the Lakers, would be that center. The Rockets would step up their efforts to get Nene to be the power forward next to him.

The Rockets just signed Scola to a long-term deal before last season, just traded for Martin a few months before that. They have played one season since.

The move might clear room for the Rockets to bid large on Nene or other free agents next summer. But will it matter? Send Chris Paul to LA and it seems better than even money that Dwight Howard will get there, too. Andre Drummond better be pretty fantastic.

There might be some pretty extreme changes to all this before 1 p.m. Friday, though it would seem worth asking if the Hornets would trade Paul to get Martin and Scola, why are the Rockets helping the Lakers.

The short answer is that they could have gotten Paul. They have tried for so long, they knew what it would take. But for whatever reason, they must be convinced he would be around for 66 games at most.

If the Rockets make the deal that leaves Kyle Lowry as the only Rockets player left from the Rockets 2009 playoff team.

Chuck Hayes is as good as gone, with the Sacramento Kings making an offer worth a full mid-level with which the Rockets will not compete. Shane Battier was already gone, banished from the Rockets' roster at the trade deadline with no movement toward a return now that he has become a free agent and began Thursday with a tweet to announce tweeted his decision to join the Heat.

The Rockets would be left with an implosion, like when they take down those old stadiums with a push of a button. Of course, those moves are made to build something else. This would make it official, if it wasn't before, that the Rockets after Yao and Tracy McGrady are rebuilding.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Trade-talk-Rockets-could-get-Gasol-from-Lakers-2390275.php

You would? That basically means you might as well get rid of Lowry, Brooks and Dragic (or two of the three), and give up on a big man. Marc Gasol and DeAndre Jordan are almost certainly staying put, and if Nene doesn't accept that max contract from Denver, I'd be surprised.

As far as the Hornets accepting that deal, I don't know why it was shot down yesterday, when it was "rivals" with the Golden State offer. The Warriors were actually leading the pack, at one point, after they pushed aside the Boston proposal.

I hate rumors, but love activity on OTR. :lol:

Doesn't matter, we'd get a solid young point guard to build our team around. Its better than being stuck in mediocrity for the next 3 years.

• Owner

Wait, so the article is talking about it being a bad thing to team up Gasol and Nene? I don't get that.

Regarding the Rondo trade...I just have a hunch that Houston (and maybe a few other GM's) don't see him as a franchise player. Unlike CP3 and Deron, he can't shoot or really score the ball.

Is he really the next Jason Kidd? In recent memory, Kidd is the only other PG that you can build a team around that wasn't exactly a scorer or shooter.

• Owner
John Ireland:

Had dinner with Lakers personnel last night. Was told by them that Lakers postponed Media Day from Saturday to Sunday.

Ireland joked if it was because they wanted to give Dwight Howard an extra day to arrive.

Lakers personnel said, "it's not 'him'".

Ireland ask for what/who then?

Lakers personnel said, "can't say."

Itching to know if it's CP3.

I'm also wondering if Orlando wants to wait a few days before dealing Howard. Makes sense. Bynum is suspended for five games.

Just praying to the basketball gods!

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

The Hornets are expressing trepidation to those talking to them about three-team framework with Lakers and Rockets, league sources say.

I'm still wondering what valuable asset New Orleans is getting out of this deal... Pat Patterson? Really? And if Houston does this deal, they'll be stuck in mediocrity, when will they learn how to rebuild the right way? I have yet to figure out what Morey is trying to accomplish there.

Hornets are also cooling off on the three way deal featuring the Celtics and are reconsidering just doing a trade between the two. It's clear that Boston's offer is the best one out there, only question is whether CP3 wants to go there. Ainge has the balls to do this deal without any guarantee of Paul signing an extension.