Woj: Lakers close to sending Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom for Chris Paul

Dash

LMAO

I was watching a movie and then after the movie I was talking to friends and I thought they were [expletive]ing with me at first telling me Stern blocked the deal. I was like "stop lyin I ain't that gullible gtfo" I can't believe this is true. LMAO the NBA has to be the poorest run of the 5 major sport organizations in the US. Absolutely horrible. I feel bad for Lakers fans but

L O L

Edited by Z True Long Island Story

Great to see the league taking steps to prevent players from forcing their way to teams, especially teams who have no cap. Paul should be a Warrior or Clipper, not a Laker... this deal is horrible.

If the team is owned by the league, how is it is unjust for the league to step in? Lol...

It is the equivalent to the GM making a deal, presenting it to the owner, and him saying uhhh [expletive] that lol.

I still believe the league has enough justification for its' actions.

No they don't.

The Hornets are no more valuable without Chris Paul than an unhappy Chris Paul already declaring he won't return.

That argument would hold more water if Stern nixed the deal right away. Did he not think it would actually happen? He waited until the deal was agreed upon before saying "NO" when he could have said "NO" from the get-go.

So now, essentially you have an entire league saying, "you can't trade Paul to anyone EXCEPT the Lakers". I haven't seen the new CBA but I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Officials involved in the trade talks said the league office was consulted throughout the negotiations, and there was never an indication Demps didn’t have the power to make a deal. In fact, several teams negotiating with New Orleans to get Paul asked the league office, and were told Demps had full authority to execute a trade.

No they don't.

The Hornets are no more valuable without Chris Paul than an unhappy Chris Paul already declaring he won't return.

That argument would hold more water if Stern nixed the deal right away. Did he not think it would actually happen? He waited until the deal was agreed upon before saying "NO" when he could have said "NO" from the get-go.

So now, essentially you have an entire league saying, "you can't trade Paul to anyone EXCEPT the Lakers". I haven't seen the new CBA but I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Difference here is, Stern is looking after the best interest of the league. Now obviously this has taken a turn for the worse, it's most definitely ruined the image of the league, but the idea that he and the majority of the owners advocate parity plays a large role.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but this is all within Stern's authority as commissioner to block a trade, all owners agree to these authorities when buying a team.

BTW, did anyone see Dan Gilbert's letter to David Stern regarding the trade?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

• Owner
In fact, several teams negotiating with New Orleans to get Paul asked the league office, and were told Demps had full authority to execute a trade.

Oops. Game over.

Also...this is great:

@JaredDudley619

RT @brianpmalone: what's your initial reaction on the rescinded CP3/LA trade? ( Bs.. I don't like it, the NBA needs to sell the team)

@mchalmers15

I can't believe they doin my homie @CP3 like that wow is right.

@aa000G9 (Tony Allen)

Can some 1 explain!!

@jrich23

Speechless about the @CP3 block trade. Smh

@YahooSportsNBA

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert called the Lakers' trade for Chris Paul a "travesty" in email to David Stern. Complete email: http://yhoo.it/s1du3z

Haha, Dan Gilbert getting destroyed.

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

The thing is, though, the NBA would not stop Chris Paul bolting to LA as a free agent (which he will). So what's the point is vetoing a trade that would bring the Hornets some assets instead of nothing at all?

• Owner

Bad thing for the NBA to tell EVERYONE ELSE trying to get CP3 that Demps was able to make deals. Several teams called league offices, were given the green light (as stated earlier).

I love this, actually. This makes many other owners look like shit, and in the process, it makes Stern look terrible.

Sadly, it's embarrassing for the league. There are SO many players, celebrities and fans (and even reporters) turning it into a joke, or just criticizing the hell out of this. I don't think I've ever seen this before.

http://kcsportsninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2u55q1w.gif

More like this:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/915689/CP-got-Stern_d.gif

On a serious note, though, this league is completely [expletive]ed up.

It is actually hilarious to see how completely and utterly dysfunctional this league is.

I can understand the whole owner vetoing a trade because it has happened (such as Jordan vetoing the Calderon/Chandler trade last summer after it was agreed on by both GM's) but to say that Demps has full authority to make a trade and then turn around and say "On second though, scratch that. You can't make this trade" is just brutal. It makes the league look completely bush league.

Just a complete disaster. :lol:

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner
Odom to LAT: "I’m just in total disbelief about all of this. They don’t want my services, for whatever reason. I was proud to be a Laker.."

Odom to @LATimes: “Maybe I’ll see you there tomorrow [at practice]. But I doubt it. You don’t want to go to no place you’re not wanted."

FFFFF it.

Bad thing for the NBA to tell EVERYONE ELSE trying to get CP3 that Demps was able to make deals. Several teams called league offices, were given the green light (as stated earlier).

I love this, actually. This makes many other owners look like shit, and in the process, it makes Stern look terrible.

Sadly, it's embarrassing for the league. There are SO many players, celebrities and fans (and even reporters) turning it into a joke, or just criticizing the hell out of this. I don't think I've ever seen this before.

We're probably nearing the end of David Stern as it is. I can't imagine him staying commissioner much longer.

• Owner
chadfordinsider Chad Ford

Dear David Stern, Dan Gilbert and other petty, whining NBA owners. Go away. Signed, Everyone.

I LOVE THIS.

I'm utterly disappointed in the NBA, but tonight, I'm proud of the media and a lot of the players.

As much as I hate the Lakers, I can't believe that this happened. I don't care what team it is, when a deal is in place and then the commissioner comes out and vetos it it is just crazy as hell. The league is a joke now honestly. If this deal doesn't go through who is going to respect the NBA anymore?

My first post in god who knows.

Dan Gilbert. You are a [expletive]ing joke. As much as I hate to see more super teams, if it happens, it happens. The Hornets will actually get a few good pieces, now when Paul leaves they are going to get nothing.

Gilbert you messed up James, don't let the same thing happen to the Hornets.

lol so you'd rather see the NBA look bad than get Chris Paul?