Woj: Lakers close to sending Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom for Chris Paul

Dash

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ekoapt

Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA)

David Stern released this statement regarding the nixed Chris Paul trade: “Since the NBA purchased the New Orleans Hornets, final responsibility for significant management decisions lies with the Commissioner's Office in consultation with team chairman Jac Sperling. All decisions are made on the basis of what is in the best interests of the Hornets. In the case of the trade proposal that was made to the Hornets for Chris Paul, we decided, free from the influence of other NBA owners, that the team was better served with Chris in a Hornets uniform than by the outcome of the terms of that trade.”

• Owner

It's not going to be about on the court production, obviously that team will get more done on the court. However with that team, their cap situation is [expletive]ed and they are just going to be stuck as a treadmill team for the next 3-4 years and def won't compete with the Lakers. I would rather take the young stud player and begin a complete rebuild.

Lol if you actually believe the Hornets are better off with Luis Scola K-Mart and Odom.

LOL if you actually believe you know more about a team's direction than NBA execs.

While there was no question the Lakers were getting a huge star, it was hardly a guarantee that the trade would make them appreciably better. In fact, several rival GMs calculated that the trade may have made the Lakers worse in the short term, and applauded Demps for getting a haul of quality players (Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin) plus Goran Dragic and a first-round pick for a player everybody knew would one day leave on his own.

"Are they saying that Stu Jackson or David Stern or whoever the ___ it is knows more than the experienced GMs who made this deal?" one person involved in front-office dealings said.

Of the players Demps was going to get, three are capable starters, and one (Dragic) is a low-priced yet effective backup point guard. The draft pick in 2012, formerly belonging to the Knicks and only top-five protected, promises to be in the middle of the first round round of a deep and loaded draft. Only one player -- Scola, one of the most efficient post players in the league -- carries significant financial obligations beyond next season. Martin, who scores 20 points a night in his sleep, is 28 and has two years left totaling about $25 million -- or, the same total amount the Clippers lavished on Caron Butler Thursday without anyone stepping in to stop that.

It made sense, too, for the Rockets, who cleared $3.5 million and would've had room with the amnesty of one player to offer a max contract to a free agent like Nene -- or use the space in other creative ways. Gasol, among the league's most gifted big men, would fill the gaping hole in the middle left by Yao Ming's premature retirement.

Not to mention MANY members of the media, including reporters, who have repeated over and over again that it was a fair deal and a great trade by the Hornets.

Better than letting him walk.

Barry also repeated what I said just now, on ESPN. Just another one in the long list of players, NBA executives, reporters, and analysts that don't see it the way you do.

Morey trying to save the Lakers.

jmikeNBAusat J. Michael Falgoust

... Ive heard today #Rockets would like to repackage something w/younger pieces to see if they can still make that happen

Haha, shut it. You know Morey wants this trade bad. ;)

I don't get why try to save it now, Nene is going to be gone in about 20 minutes. And like I said before, If Patterson or Motiejunas are moved I will go apeshit.

• Owner

I don't get why try to save it now, Nene is going to be gone in about 20 minutes. And like I said before, If Patterson or Motiejunas are moved I will go apeshit.

If that's all true about the Rockets, it would more than likely be Jordan Hill (replacing Scola).

At least I think so...lol. Who knows.

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy

Jermaine Taylor is heading back to Houston. Sources close to the situation say he has agreed to a deal with the Rockets. No details yet.

Not much but Taylor would be the Rockets' third string shooting guard right now, could Houston be preparing for Martin's departure?

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

As teams wait to re-engage Hornets on Chris Paul, here's one executive: "Truly feel for those guys, but we're all gonna lowball them now."

ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix

Small market owners may have wanted to screw LA, Stern may have wanted to stick it to Chris Paul but the biggest loser in all this is HOU

ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix

Rockets had a solid, smart plan to make Pau and Nene the front line of at least the next three years. Now, they may get neither.

:(