Heat sign Chalmers, Jones, and may keep Miller

Real Deal

• Owner

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7335163/mario-chalmers-miami-heat-agree-slated-practice

MIAMI -- Managing the salary cap and getting veteran role players to pass up larger offers elsewhere, the Miami Heat made several moves Friday to solidify their roster.

The Heat agreed to re-sign wing James Jones and point guard Mario Chalmers on the heels of adding wing Shane Battier and center Eddy Curry on Thursday. The final details of all the contracts are being worked out but the Heat are believed to be able to structure the deals to allow them to make all the signings without having to use the amnesty clause on Mike Miller.

Miller told ESPN.com Friday that he expected to remain with the team and was planning on attending the first day of training camp as he recovers from surgery to fix a sports hernia last week.

The Heat had hoped to land a starter-quality center and an additional point guard in the free agent season but the market didn't play out for them.

Good to see that we can keep Chalmers, but not sure about keeping Miller. . . If the guy can stay healthy it will be a good risk to take as he is a great player when he is indeed healthy!

But I would rather have gotten a center to anchor the defense and rebound and even finish around the rim, such as Sam Dalembert, if possible.

I'm sure he didn't re-sign with them to get sent to the bench.

He did it last year when Bibby came in. He's been a team player ever since we drafted him and IMO he's better suited to come off the bench.

• Owner

He did it last year when Bibby came in. He's been a team player ever since we drafted him and IMO he's better suited to come off the bench.

Yeah dude, haha...Bibby really made it worth your while.

Chalmers can start on other teams. He plays defense, and he knows his spots on the floor.

The fact is, Miami doesn't know how to utilize players like him when he's basically being asked to watch Wade and LeBron play.

Yeah dude, haha...Bibby really made it worth your while.

Chalmers can start on other teams. He plays defense, and he knows his spots on the floor.

The fact is, Miami doesn't know how to utilize players like him when he's basically being asked to watch Wade and LeBron play.

Oh I know how good Rio is. He's made tremendous strides after an awful sophomore season. He can definitely be a starting point guard in this league but let's be honest. Chauncey Billups is a better player than him. Also imagine what Rio can learn from playing behind a guy like Billups as well. I think its a great fit.

I don't mind Billups. He does similar things to Chalmers and I would rather have a more experienced guy starting at point. With that said though, Chalmers might not be the best PG, but he does his role perfectly. He plays defense and is probably the most dependable option for hitting open shots. Doesn't matter which one of them starts, they are only there for defense and shooting, and Billups does that and he brings veteran experience.

The question still stands though, are we going to bring in a center? Right now we have Joel Anthony, Eddy Curry and Dexter Pittman. Curry and Pittman are question marks, and Joel Anthony is only good for defense.