Raptors Acquire Mickael Pietrus

I'm on my lunch break and saw it on the ticker while watching Prime Time Sports.

Sounds like it is for a conditional 2nd round pick, although I don't know what the condition on it is as of yet and won't find out until after work, since I have to leave in about 5 minutes.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Like this move... always liked Pietrus, and he is on a one year deal so it won't kill us long term.. prefer Pietrus to Linas so hopefully Linas is shown the door soon.

Pietrus is a guy who I believe compliments Demar nicely at the 3, and if we don't draft a 3 this year, is a guy I see as a really good 5th starter despite the fact he's never been given a chance to be that really.. or just a nice bench player to have.

Expecting him to be the opening night starter.

I still think a healthy Kleiza is a valuable bench piece. He isn't a starter like the Raptors had hoped as he is too much of a tweener, but if he is able to play the bench role as a 3 and stretch 4 in certain situations. He seemed to come in and tried to play outside of himself in order to live up to the expectations.

That isn't to say I am upset with this acquisition, especially since Kleiza is out for at least another month anyways. It will be some healthy competition between Pietrus and Johnson for the starting small forward spot.

The move doesn't surprise me at all. Colangelo was after Pietrus when he was with Golden State and as he has shown plenty of times in the past, Colangelo really goes after the guys he likes. He picked up Johnson, Belinelli and Bayless after showing strong interest in them during the draft, he traded for Barbosa after him being a favourite of his in Phoenix, he signed Kleiza last summer after coming close to signing him the previous one, and now he trades for Pietrus.

If only he was in love with superstars instead of average role players. :lol:

It sounds like this trade was simply a case of the Suns paying the Raptors to take Pietrus off of their hands. They sent cash to Toronto in addition to Pietrus and the 2nd rounder that they got in return is one of those ridiculously protected ones that never actually amount to anything.

So they got Pietrus for nothing more than the $5.3M cap hit he brought with him and whatever money that Phoenix isn't paying for. If I had to guess, I'd say that Phoenix is probably paying for around $2-2.5M of the deal.

I read that he didn't fail his physical with the Raptors, which is what was first thought, but the Raptors did see something in his MRI that they did not like so they backed out of the deal.

However, they never actually said that the deal was "dead" and there is a chance that they will revisit the deal in 2-4 weeks.