Boston close to signing David West?

AboveLegit

A source briefed on discussions Friday evening said that the Boston Celtics are close to a deal with free agent power forward David West, who has been with the New Orleans Hornets since being drafted in 2003.

A two-time All-Star, West has averaged 16.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in his eight NBA seasons. If healthy, West would be a boon whether starting or coming off the bench for the Celtics, who acquired Brandon Bass earlier Friday from Orlando for forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/david_aldridge/12/09/celtics-david-west-deal-close/index.html

Wow. My guess is that Ainge plans to do a sign and trade, possibly involving Jeff Green. Either way, this comes off as a total surprise, not sure where he fits in Boston.

Pretty shocked about this as well. Should he start or KG start?

My guess is Garnett, but I do believe Ainge isn't confident in Garnett holding up this year. If this goes down, the depth Boston has at PF is amazing. Bass, West, and Garnett is more than enough.

Still wondering why they haven't gone after a center though.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

.Celtics likely send Jermaine O'Neal and another player to New Orleans in sign-and-trade, sources said. Hornets would move players elsewhere.

Lakers-Rockets-Hornets trade perhaps?

I am hoping that other player is Jeff Green, for the Hornets' sake.

Edited by Newman

They don't need another power forward though it makes no sense to me. They just traded for Brandon Bass. They need a center unless they feel like KG can last all season playing there.

They're getting All Star caliber talent on a team lacking any real depth. This is a fantastic move.

Garnett gets to rest even more now.

I just don't see it making them all that better to be honest. They need depth in their backcourt behind Ray and Pierce. As those guys get older the less and less they'll be able to carry that scoring load. I'd have been more worried had they gone out and got a true defensive C like Dalembert or if they end up getting Rip.

I just don't see it making them all that better to be honest. They need depth in their backcourt behind Ray and Pierce. As those guys get older the less and less they'll be able to carry that scoring load. I'd have been more worried had they gone out and got a true defensive C like Dalembert or if they end up getting Rip.

Would you rather give support to KG or Ray and Paul?

Anyone know the approx. salary West will get?

27mill over 3yrs