So what now?

Dash

I have no clue where this team goes from here. Overpay Dalembert? Amnesty Thabeet and then overpay for DeAndre Jordan and hope Clippers don't match? Chuck isn't even an option anymore since he signed with the Kings. So confused and frustrated.

Be thankful that Stern stopped the Rockets from paying a Gasol/Nene frontcourt around $107M over the next 3 years?

That would be my guess.

Seriously, the Rockets got so bent over in that trade that they should be thankful it wasn't allowed. They would've went from being a treadmill team with some nice assets to being a treadmill team with no assets and no cap flexibility.

Both situations suck, but give me the 1st one over the 2nd one any day of the week.

I honestly don't think adding Gasol and Nene at the expense of Martin and Scola makes the Rockets any better than they were last season. Maybe 5 wins or so, which puts them from a 9th seed to, what, a 7th seed and first round exit?

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Be thankful that Stern stopped the Rockets from paying a Gasol/Nene frontcourt around $107M over the next 3 years?

That would be my guess.

Seriously, the Rockets got so bent over in that trade that they should be thankful it wasn't allowed. They would've went from being a treadmill team with some nice assets to being a treadmill team with no assets and no cap flexibility.

Both situations suck, but give me the 1st one over the 2nd one any day of the week.

I honestly don't think adding Gasol and Nene at the expense of Martin and Scola makes the Rockets any better than they were last season. Maybe 5 wins or so, which puts them from a 9th seed to, what, a 7th seed and first round exit?

No, we lost our starting center over this and a Gasol/Nene would be one of the best in the league even though they would be overpaying Nene. A strong frontcourt like that would be something to build a team around unlike Scola/Martin. The first two original deals were great for Houston (they kept all their young assets besides Goran Dragic and the Knicks' 2012 first round pick), its the third revised deal where Houston was going to end up giving too much and where Morey probably began to back down.

Yeah, you could build a team around them.

The team would be knocked out in the 2nd round year after year, but whatever.

I'm not denying that Gasol or Nene aren't talented (although Nene is highly overrated if you ask me). But neither one of them are capable of having a championship calibre team built around them, even if they are paired together. I just don't see it. Both are complimentary pieces and if the Rockets had done this trade, neither one would ever be able to compliment a star player in Houston because they would have no chance of landing one.

Losing Hayes because of this (assuming he was coming back) sucks, but it is Chuck Hayes. Its not like he is irreplaceable. I like what he brings to a team, but there are plenty of players around the league that you can find who will give you basically the exact same things and come at possibly a better price.

Oh well, I guess I just see things differently than you do. I know if I was a Houston fan I would be jumping for joy that this trade didn't happen.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Yeah, you could build a team around them.

The team would be knocked out in the 2nd round year after year, but whatever.

That is about as good as its going to get in Houston unless Les finally gives in and rebuilds, wouldn't mind being a perennial top 3-4 seed out West.

I'm not denying that Gasol or Nene aren't talented (although Nene is highly overrated if you ask me). But neither one of them are capable of having a championship calibre team built around them, even if they are paired together. I just don't see it. Both are complimentary pieces and if the Rockets had done this trade, neither one would ever be able to compliment a star player in Houston because they would have no chance of landing one.

A star is never going to come to Houston, I've come to accept that. We have all these assets that are supposed to get a star but so far we've had no luck. We could have Chris Paul right now if we wanted to but Morey instead went for Pau, which might mean that he believed Paul would never sign an extension here. Neither will Howard or anyone else. Why play with Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and role players when you can have Deron Williams or Dwayne Wade?

Losing Hayes because of this (assuming he was coming back) sucks, but it is Chuck Hayes. Its not like he is irreplaceable. I like what he brings to a team, but there are plenty of players around the league that you can find who will give you basically the exact same things and come at possibly a better price.

Oh well, I guess I just see things differently than you do. I know if I was a Houston fan I would be jumping for joy that this trade didn't happen.

Our only other option is Dalembert and he is seeking a big payday from us or else he'll just go to Dallas.

I would be happy if we were never involved in this deal in the first place. We're 2-3 days into free agency and no clue what we're going to do.

Edited by Dash