West Explains Why Paul May Want Out

Art

"There just really is no direction with no legitimate owner, so that just makes it tough," West told The Associated Press on Monday. "It really made it tough for me to see myself going back there."
West suspects Paul wants out because of "a series of events that transpired after (winning the Southwest Division in 2007-08 and coming within one game of the Western Conference finals) that sent Chris and myself into a different mindset in terms of what we really could get in New Orleans."

The Hornets "gave a cold shoulder," in West's words, to backup point guard Jannero Pargo, who had been Paul's best friend on the team.

"And (they) didn't consult Chris about anything," West said, referring to former Hornets general manager Jeff Bower.

West insisted that, before the hiring of Demps and Williams, Hornets upper management did not consult him or Paul about any major moves, such as the 2009 trade of center Tyson Chandler. The Hornets actually traded Chandler twice that year, first to Oklahoma City in a deal that was quickly rescinded and later to Charlotte for Emeka Okafor.

"It's nothing against Emeka, but from our perspective, being teammates with Tyson and knowing the type of impact he had on both of our careers at that particular time, I just felt like at that moment, things, in terms of the trust, the direction we were going, started to wane a bit," West said. "When you have a franchise guy like Chris, build a team around him, I'm under the impression that you've got to keep your franchise guy happy."

ESPN

Edited by Art

• Owner

With talk that Otis Smith has ignored much of what Howard has wanted, and now this...you start to wonder what owners are thinking when they have these superstar players. Wouldn't you at least give them the heads up on any ideas?

Remember the Deron Williams incident? He had no idea they were going to trade Ronnie Brewer, his best friend.

While it seems a bit ridiculous to be upset over petty things like that in a basketball league, I kind of see why they would be...but most importantly, I don't see why owners refuse to keep that in mind, regardless.

Everyone keeps talking about these guys moving to big markets, and how these small-market teams should be able to keep their superstars. How about the owners needing to build around them properly? How about the owners spending their money wisely, and at least consulting the stars that, basically, put asses in seats?

• Like 1

Everyone keeps talking about these guys moving to big markets, and how these small-market teams should be able to keep their superstars. How about the owners needing to build around them properly? How about the owners spending their money wisely, and at least consulting the stars that, basically, put asses in seats?

Co-sign!

Prime example: Wolves had a HOF big man for a over a decade and could not build a contender around him.

Small market owners worry too much about big markets getting FA's instead of focusing on what they can control...like good drafts or smart trades.