Remember the name Norris Cole

Flash

http://miasportsguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/norris-cole-pat-riley-miami-heat.jpg

This guy is going to be our starting point guard by the end of the season. Saw him play for the first time last night at the scrimmage and he was by far the most impressive player out there. He honestly reminds me of a young Rondo except he can shoot the ball. He's the perfect compliment to the Big 3. Can't wait to see him on Sunday vs. Orlando.

• Owner

He's a pretty good player, but he's not exactly great at anything. I've seen him play probably 5-6 times total, in college, and four of those were last season...and the guy can score buckets, but he has to have the ball. I'd be a little worried about him having to adjust to a team that will never put the ball in his hands and ask him to go to work.

As far as him being able to shoot very well...eh, not that great. He takes bad shots, but again, he's not going to be making those decisions. The Heat will more than likely ask him to play off the ball a LOT, and most of his jumpers will come from James and Wade assisting them (basically, they will be good shots).

Defensively, he's pretty hard-headed...he likes to play it, doesn't like letting his man slip. I don't remember who he was playing, but he was FLOORED with a screen, and for the rest of the game (about 6-7 minutes), he played defense like he was Gary Payton...a little too aggressive, though, and picked up a couple of fouls, but it was good D. He has the lateral quickness to stay with the fast guards, that's for sure.

The big worry is when he's playing elite guards, specifically those that will abuse him with their physical play. Deron Williams will tear him up, more than he would Mario...where I would probably say that, if LeBron or Wade weren't playing help D as much, Williams could drop a career high on Cole.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts by the end of the year...just depends on how well he can adjust to playing without the ball in his hands, and how much of a defensive liability Spo sees him when playing Rose (he won't have that hard of a time defending Rajon or any of the Knicks' PG's, from the remaining contenders right now).

Just giving some pros and cons.

• Owner

Dime a dozen

PG's now days gotto be exceptially skilled.

If you want to remember a name that will ACTUALLY stick around in the league remember the Grizzlies pg they picked up

I forgot his name but he played for Kansas and was drafted in the 2nd as a freshman

:lol:

Josh Selby.

Cole just continues to impress. He took it right at Dwight Howard tonight and got a layup in on him along with a huge 3 to change the momentum after Orlando came back. He's most definitely out-performed Chalmers so far.

I remember when Sun Yue blocked the shit out of Dwight Howard in one of the Olympic games.

I'm gonna assume you didn't watch our game tonight. Not just the play against Dwight but this guy is the perfect compliment for our guys at PG. He's steady, he can score, has a more consistent shot than Rio and can score in more ways than Mario can as well. Its a no-brainer who the better player is that this point to be honest.

• Owner

I'm gonna assume you didn't watch our game tonight. Not just the play against Dwight but this guy is the perfect compliment for our guys at PG. He's steady, he can score, has a more consistent shot than Rio and can score in more ways than Mario can as well. Its a no-brainer who the better player is that this point to be honest.

I watched the entire game...it was on NBATV.

You talk about him being the perfect compliment, but you're not understanding that Norris Cole wants the ball in his hands. He's a scoring point guard. The Heat are playing a little different than what they will during the season. Cole will be in the same boat as Chalmers, Bibby, Miller, Jones, and the rest of the crew. They will turn him into a spot-up shooter.

If you think he's a consistent shooter...I'm sorry, he's not. You should've seen that from the first game. Did you watch him in college? He took a lot of bad shots, and he missed a lot of open shots.

Miami let him work with the ball in that first game, and he facilitated well, but couldn't find his shot. That happens when you're asked to do something unfamiliar. This second game, he wasn't trying to be a pure point, and it led to him shooting a decent percentage (don't remember what it was, but he didn't miss that many)...yet, he didn't rack up anything else in the statsheet.

Like I said in my initial post, he's the jack of all trades...he just doesn't do anything great. In Miami, he's not going to have that opportunity to. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if he did start later in the season, at the end of it...or hell, even within the first few weeks...but Cole isn't going to be that great of a PG.

At least with Rondo, I was suspicious. I still ran with him being an average one, and ate my words later, but I saw enough of Rondo to question myself a few times before he played his first NBA game. With Norris Cole, it's a bit different, seeing the role he will most likely play this year (and maybe a few years after).

• Owner

Getting interesting, to say the least. They are letting him do more work than one would think in this offense, especially considering the talent around him (very, very few rookies should be dropping big scoring numbers with Wade, LeBron and Bosh on their team).

I'll go back to what I said to start the topic...

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts by the end of the year...just depends on how well he can adjust to playing without the ball in his hands, and how much of a defensive liability Spo sees him when playing Rose (he won't have that hard of a time defending Rajon or any of the Knicks' PG's, from the remaining contenders right now).

And I'll go ahead and say the guy is probably going to be starting before the break.

However, the bench really needs someone to score the ball. I wonder if he's better suited coming off the bench in a sixth-man role.