Raptors Third Most Promising Rebuild

From an ESPN Insider piece counting down the 5 most promising rebuilds in the league:

3. Toronto Raptors

Young stud? Maybe | Cap situation? Not yet. | Likely lottery picks? One (Own)

Two words: Jonas Valanciunas. Remember the name, because the center could be the best thing to come out of the 2011 draft -- except he won't make his debut until 2012-13. In Euroleague action last season, he averaged 7.6 points and 5.4 rebounds in 14.9 minutes per game on 71 percent shooting. As an 18-year-old. Translated to 40 minutes per game? 20 points and 15 rebounds. It's not a stretch to say that the Raptors' 5th overall pick, who crushed it in the FIBA Under-19 tournament, is a star in the making.

And it might be best that he doesn't come over just yet. Without him, the Raptors can play out this season and have a shot at another future star in a loaded 2012 draft. The Raptors could have the worst record next season in the NBA, but with Valanciunas in tow and a defensive guru like Dwane Casey at the helm, the Raps could also make the biggest jump in 2012-13. Especially if they land a go-to scorer on the wing. Also, contrary to popular belief, Toronto is not an undesirable destination for free agents. This is a franchise on the rise, though they're not ready to launch. Yet.

The top 5 was:

1. Washington

2. New Orleans

3. Toronto

4. Sacramento

5. Utah

This is an extremely encouraging article. I have said it before, but we have all the pieces in place right now except for the franchise guy, or first option scorer. We just need to hope for a lucky bounce from the ping pong balls this year, and we will be in terrific shape.

Demar should be a great 2nd offensive option, Davis is a great glue type of big that I think every team needs, I picture him being a walking double double with close to two blocks, Jonas looks like he will be a legit offensive option with solid defensive skills... I really like how our team looks if we can nab a top prospect in this draft, we have a ton of nice young supporting pieces, just need that alpha player.

I think the Raptors have good young talent and it depends what pieces the Raptors put with Demar and Davis. Will the Raptors trade Andrea? If his salary is in fact of a third option on any team then Andrea’s contract carries a lot of value and he is a talented scorer who can net this team possibly draft picks in this year’s draft or a legit young talent.

Calderon is a player that I believe needs to go. Giving him some credit Calderon is a legit backup point guard for a team contending for a championship and I think after this season his contract becomes more attractive for the Raptors and other teams in the league. Overall I think the best thing that BC has done is sign pretty much everyone to one year contracts to preserve his flexibility in order to make this rebuild work for the long term.

I actually wouldn't mind Calderon back after his current contract is up, assuming he doesn't regress over the next two seasons. I think if the Raptors are able to land a stud point guard in the draft or through free agency, which I think Colangelo hopes to do within the next two seasons, I like Calderon as the steady, risk-averse vet off of the bench behind the young, risk-taking starter that I hope Colangelo is able to acquire.

Calderon has also proven to be a very productive backup and that he plays better as a backup from when he was coming off of the bench behind TJ Ford or Jarrett Jack over the past few seasons.

Of course, if the Raptors deal him next season I won't be upset by any means. I just wouldn't mind him as a backup heading forward, assuming the circumstances are right.