Brook Lopez to undergo surgery

Force

John Hollinger

There's a better chance of a white-bearded guy with reindeer sliding down my chimney Sunday than Brook Lopez being back in 4 weeks.

Bye-bye Dwight is obvious.

Does this hurt the Nets chances of retaining Deron, as well? I would think it may as if they are a crappy team, which is likely to happen without Lopez, they may realize that they have next to no chance of being able to retain Williams and deal him before the deadline.

I doubt it actually happens since they seem sure that they will be able to make the necessary moves to appease him and get him to committ long-term in the summer.

The way I see it, Orlando still has to trade Dwight if they want anything in return for him. Apparently this is the same injury Robin Lopez had, which kept him out for 7 weeks. New Jersey expects Brook to be back by February, which is before the trade deadline. But I doubt Otis pulls the trigger on a deal for Brook involving the best big man in the game. That would be insane of him. This gives the Lakers a ton of leverage now, unless another team comes out of nowhere and makes a better offer and Dwight wants to sign there. Hell, they might be able to pull off a trade without giving up Gasol.

Nets fans better hope and pray Bynum gets injured again this season.

But the Nets were not going to make the playoffs anyway, they are not a deep team and don't have much quality talent outside of Deron. But this does nothing for Dwight, he doesn't care what the team looks like now or whether they are winning or not. He cares that Deron Williams is there and committed to play long term in Brooklyn. I firmly believe Deron will stay in Brooklyn, he's become very close to Billy King and is consulted by the front office regarding changes to the roster. If for some reason Dwight doesn't get traded, they will reappear as the frontrunner.