David Lee Naysayers

I love the Warriors, and I see on RealGM.com a lot of fans who have a problem with Lee's contract. The guy is a former big man all-star and in his prime. That's huge in Warriorland. The positives he brings to this team - leadership, character, rebounding, scoring, passing, etc. outweigh his slightly "overpaid" contract.

One of the problems with many Warrior fans is they look at the contract FIRST and talent and production second when analyzing a player. It's why everyone was high on Dorrell Wright and some low on the David Lee trade. They look at achieving "good value" like it's the ONLY barometer to building a team. That's not how you win games though. Talent wins games, and as we've seen for the last 10+ yrs, cap space doesn't guarantee a FA. David Lee was a GOOD move by Lacob imo. You know why? Because the alternative was Anthony Randolph, instability, and a bunch of question marks. How soon people forget. I mean fans were still hyping Brandan Wright as someone who could start before we got Lee lol.

Edited by Šhãłïq

I love the Warriors, and I see on RealGM.com a lot of fans who have a problem with Lee's contract. The guy is a former big man all-star and in his prime. That's huge in Warriorland. The positives he brings to this team - leadership, character, rebounding, scoring, passing, etc. outweigh his slightly "overpaid" contract.

One of the problems with many Warrior fans is they look at the contract FIRST and talent and production second when analyzing a player. It's why everyone was high on Dorrell Wright and some low on the David Lee trade. They look at achieving "good value" like it's the ONLY barometer to building a team. That's not how you win games though. Talent wins games, and as we've seen for the last 10+ yrs, cap space doesn't guarantee a FA. David Lee was a GOOD move by Lacob imo. You know why? Because the alternative was Anthony Randolph, instability, and a bunch of question marks. How soon people forget. I mean fans were still hyping Brandan Wright as someone who could start before we got Lee lol.

Wright had all-star potential if he never had injury problems. Same with Randolph, once he matures.

As for Lee, he is not worth the contract at all. His rebounding has gone down since coming here, his points have gone down (as expected) and he is arguably the worst starting power forward defender in the whole league. I was disappointed when he was picked as one of the team captains.

As for Wright, his contract is way better. He excels in our offense perfectly, he's versatile on defense, and brings good veteran leadership. He's one of the crowd favorites and best guys in the locker room from what I've heard. Not only that, but he also has a championship ring and has played in the finals. He's a very solid veteran.

Great post Shaliq you made a great point how many people including myself look contract first and player second.

But David Lee is overrated, i hate when people say he's a all-star....only because AI was traded or injured and he was a replacement spot.

There should be an asterisk when you mention David Lee as an all-star, for example in your first sentence you said...

"The guy is a former big man all-star and in his prime."

It should READ:

"The guy is a former big man all-star* and in his prime."

A supplamental note would help...For exp.

* - only made all-star team as a replacement to Iverson.

• 3 weeks later...