Cleveland at Toronto

Real Deal

• 2 weeks later...
Tristan Thompson returns home to Toronto for the first time as an NBA player. Thompson says he's buying tickets for at least 22 friends and family members.

"There will be jitters," said Thompson, 20. "A lot of people I grew up with will have a chance to see me live out my dream. Hopefully, the gym will be packed with Tristan Thompson fans."

The new season opened with six Canadians, Steve Nash, Jamaal Magloire (Toronto), Samuel Dalembert (Houston), Joel Anthony (Miami), Cory Joseph (San Antonio) and Thompson -- on NBA rosters.

The presence of the Raptors and the willingness for Canadians to attend high schools in the United States have contributed to the surge.

"I think Tristan has a chance to be a real role model for kids there," said Ro Russell, who runs the AAU program Grassroots Canada, for which Thompson played. "Tristan is someone who loves working with kids and giving back to his community."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218051/Basketball_Continuing_To_Grow_In_Canada_As_Thompson_Returns_For_First_NBA_Game_In_Toronto#ixzz1iWQKdfdU

As for the game itself, looking forward to seeing the Davis/Thompson matchup. Both of them played well in the season opener but Davis has struggled since then. Hopefully he can have another game similar to his season opener as Thompson is a good matchup for him considering they both play very similar styles.

DeMar had his best game of the season against the Knicks (which isn't exactly saying much as he wasn't that great in that game) so hopefully he can build on that and finally play up to his expectations.

Irving has played much better since the first game of the season so it should be nice to see him tonight. Even if I don't particularly care for the Cavs, I do have an interest in seeing Irving and Thompson succeed and they also have one of my favourite former Raptors in Anthony Parker.

Should be a fun game as the Cavs have been playing pretty well since the Boxing Day game and the Raptors could easily be 4-1 right now instead of 2-3 if not for a well timed tanking effort (although I don't actually think they tanked the games) against the Mavs and the Magic.

DeRozan gets absolutely no respect from refs. He gets hit a good 3 or 4 times a game without getting a call. They aren't ticky tack contact, either, they are clear fouls like that last one from Jamison on the dunk.

It makes it somewhat understandable why he has settled for jumpers this season, although it is no reason for him to become complacent and stop attacking. Keep on being aggressive and give the refs no choice other than to give him the call.

Seriously, DeRozan's three point shot is absolute money now. That is three 3's in the first half including two deep, contested ones right Anthony Parker's face.

It is absolutely ridiculous how he managed to improve his three point shot this much in one offseason. He went from one of the worst three point shooting wings in the league to being nearly automatic from deep so far this season. He is 8-11 from three so far. He hit 9 threes in his first 2 years combined.

I realize that there is absolutely no way he keeps up this kind of shooting all season long, but damn, it has made me a believer in his long range shooting.